Forgotten Router Admin Password.HG100RE-02

JaiMaai

I'm trying to sort a minor problem with a router on TRUE DOCSIS. (open a port)

The admin passoword to the router has been changed and the guy can't remember what he changed it to so I can't get into the config to sort it out.

The guy's Internet is working so I don't want to do anything silly.

IF I factory reset it - the Internet should still work - right?

There are no user names or passwords?

It all goes of the MAC address of the router and should be fine??

If not I'm just going to get him to get a call out to reset the password.

Thanks

You might try RouterPassView from Nirsoft. It's freeware from a well-known provider of freeware utilities. Don't know if it will work on that router, but it's free to try, and shouldn't do any harm.

Read about it and download it here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/router_password_recovery.html

Thanks for the suggestion but as far as I know he didn't ever back up the router config. So there probably isn't a file to try to extract the password from.

I factory reset mine. Then use the default login for that router page (look it up online).

Never had a problem with the wifi reconnecting after a hard reset, it just takes longer the first time). You may just have to reassign an ssid, security type, and password to access the internet.....after you login to the router page. Thats about it.

Even if you did have a problem, you could just call anyways. It's not the end of the world.

I factory reset mine. Then use the default login for that router page (look it up online).

Never had a problem with the wifi reconnecting after a hard reset, it just takes longer the first time). You may just have to reassign an ssid, security type, and password to access the internet.....after you login to the router page. Thats about it.

Even if you did have a problem, you could just call anyways. It's not the end of the world.

Based on your post we (he) decided to go for it and I reset the router.

I reset the WiFI back up for him and opened the port (for torrents) and after a short delay for everything to sync up again all is well.

(His other half didn't even notice anything had happened.)

Thanks all for the input.

• 1 year later...

Archived