Cleared overstay

Hi, I was young when I first came into Thailand. I Didn't know much about the visa rules then. To cut it short I Overstayed for 1633 days. Yes about 4.5years been looking for ways to clear it but trust me there isn't any. So today I cleared my overstay by paying the 20,000THB fine at the airport. Now is my question I am in Vientiane Laos now, what are my odds applying a Single entry Tourist visa at the consulate? I have brought enough cash if they need to see, I have also hotel booking if required. I am just someone trying to make things right. Please advice

• Like 1

Based on many previous posts on overstays, I do not think that you will have any problem.

Hi Mumbai,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it

Be aware of the new rules regarding overstays coming into effect in the near future,,,

That's the whole reason behind me trying to make things right. I don't wish to be banned. Thanks for you advice,

Just one more question, I have a company willing to hire me with WP. Will the overstay record affect the application?

Although I know now I need a valid visa before I should think of anything else.

Based on many previous posts on overstays, I do not think that you will have any problem.

Hi Mumbai,

Be aware of the new rules regarding overstays coming into effect in the near future,,,

That's the whole reason behind me trying to make things right. I don't wish to be banned. Thanks for you advice,

Just one more question, I have a company willing to hire me with WP. Will the overstay record affect the application?

It should not affect a W.P. application as the M.O.E is a separate entity.

Hi Mumbai,

You won't get the right type, a Non-B visa, without the documents from your employer. If it isn't a school, you might be able to apply for a visa in Thailand.

If you found a teaching position, you'll usually apply for a Non-B in Sawannakhet/Laos. Or Vientiane.

Please be aware that your overstay will be visible at all Immigration checkpoints and I hope that you'll never miss a 90-day report, or similar.

Good luck !!

Edited by lostinisaan

You won't get the right type, a Non-B visa, without the documents from your employer. If it isn't a school, you might be able to apply for a visa in Thailand.

If you found a teaching position, you'll usually apply for a Non-B in Sawannakhet/Laos. Or Vientiane.

Please be aware that your overstay will be visible at all Immigration checkpoints and I hope that you'll never miss a 90-day report, or similar.

Good luck !!

Hi thanks, yes I am not getting a teaching job. My plan is to get a single entry TR visa and enter Thailand get the document and apply for non-b then WP. Correct me if I am doing it wrong. Bcos my company cannot apply for WP3 when I don't have a valid visa?

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

Just a word of advice, I was in the same boat as you and cleared the overstay but got refused to get the SETV.

They wanted bank statements for the overstay time and proof of income over the time of the overstay.

Result, I had to come in with a 30 day stamp. Looking at options now.

• Like 1

Just a word of advice, I was in the same boat as you and cleared the overstay but got refused to get the SETV.

They wanted bank statements for the overstay time and proof of income over the time of the overstay.

Oh that's bad. I can provide the statement. Any idea is there any shop that I can use their computer and access my account to print the statement?

To OP: Well done....best of luck in your visa quest

Thanks,

Please help me understand the situation. So when did they ask for the document?

Let's say tomorrow morning I go to the consulate, after that the following day when I go collect they will ask for the document?

Or will they need it in day 1. I didn't prepare it, and I just went to the nearest internet shop and it's close. I was like OMG 8pm, normally Thailand internet shop is 24hours.

Ok, so on the first day I applied they asked so many questions where most of it I could provide them with the answers

but they wanted 3 years of bank statements (my overstay period) which is impossible for me to get as I could only access

6 months of bank statements online. That was the main problem. They wanted to know how I provided an income for myself

over the last 3 years of overstay. I work online and mainly get money from back home but hard to prove it.

I am in Vientiane Laos now, what are my odds applying a Single entry Tourist visa at the consulate?

Read this elsewhere on the net:

I was just there and it was easy. They have a quick dropoff point for single entries they don't even read ur application, and didn't see anyone get rejected the next day. My passport is a mess too, almost full with many border runs dating from 5 years back including a 20k baht overstay, they had no problem.

Ok, so on the first day I applied they asked so many questions where most of it I could provide them with the answers

but they wanted 3 years of bank statements (my overstay period) which is impossible for me to get as I could only access

6 months of bank statements online. That was the main problem. They wanted to know how I provided an income for myself

over the last 3 years of overstay. I work online and mainly get money from back home but hard to prove it.

I think you might have been somewhat unlucky as I have obtained a number of Tourist visas from them with a walloping great overstay showing in the passport with no questions raised. However perhaps they noted that I had previously been let in visa exempt before applying so maybe the reasoning might have been different. Certainly when I re-entered after clearing the overstay I was questioned quite intently by a senior female I/O. Indeed when I extended on that visa exempt at Chaeng wattana the officer and interpreter discussed that I had been re-admitted via Suvarnabhumi. I could imagine that there might be a reluctance by the first officer to clear you after the overstay but since then it has never been mentioned by any consulate, border immigration entry point (land and air) or by any immigration officers either in Chaeng wattana or more recently Nonthaburi. You should therefore hopefully find things more straightforward here on out. My experience was having come clean Thai immigration have been remarkably helpful and decent about the whole thing and so for those still on overstay now really is the ideal time to legitimise your status as such leniency that has been shown thus far is likely to dissipate and something distinctly less pleasant take its place after March 20th.

Edited by gilo

I think that was in Hong Kong not Vientiane. Topic here about HK. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/887172-setv-in-hong-kong/

No wonder I was here at 7.45 and now I am out they didn't even looked at my application/passport exactly the same situation that I was told. Fast track for TR visa. They collect the passport and issue the que no. With a form for collection. advice try come on monday or check the dates that the tour agent like sawadee have service. As they bring in a lot of applicant so chances are the officers might just issue you with the que no.

Hi guys update. I am back with SETR visa. No problem at all. So I urge people who had overstay for some reason or another. Go make things right while you still can.

*i am not referring to people who had committed crimes in their home country and is now hiding in Thailand.

I am referring to to people that has no intention of breaking the law in Thailand wish to stay in Thailand with their family. But have overstay their visa due to whatever reason.

Thai government has gave these people a chance (including me) to make things right. Vientiane still issue me with a SETR, even though I have my overstay stamp on page 1 of my new passport. At the boarder the officer looked at it and stamp on the single entry visa. So I am sure overstay stamp is not what they are picking on. But for safety reason, I brought hotel booking,20K THB cash & my bank statement for the past 6months. But they did not ask for it. I feel very relieved now and I am on the way to catch the next flight back to Bangkok to see my family. It's been years since I feel like that & for a long time since I feel alive. Take care guys, I wish everyone all the best.

Good for you and welcome back. I am sure it is a great relief for you and your family. I vividly recall the sense of relief.

Yap, so excited now and getting very impatient. Just got off the flight from udon - DMK. The new airport looks good but the taxi service still cannot make it. Waited 50mins to get a cab. I should have just grab one outside or even use grab taxi. Too overwhelmed to think of anything now just wanna get home as soon as possible.

If anyone needs to know my experience of how I clears my overstay I am willing to share. Start a topic or reply to this one I'll be reading every now and then until March 20. After that who knows what is gonna happen.

I did a large overstay about one year, and I recently got denied a single entry tourist visa, and when I came back with a visa exempt plane entry in mind, I got pulled out of line and intimidated by the officers. I had a flight out of the country, but they didn't want to see that. They threatened indefinite jailtime. I did nothing wrong, and a superior immigration officer let me in. warm welcome!

• Like 1

I did a large overstay about one year, and I recently got denied a single entry tourist visa, and when I came back with a visa exempt plane entry in mind, I got pulled out of line and intimidated by the officers. I had a flight out of the country, but they didn't want to see that. They threatened indefinite jailtime. I did nothing wrong, and a superior immigration officer let me in. warm welcome!

welcome back. I overstayed for 1633days and I am granted single entry visa in Vientiane. Where did you get your application rejected? I am a ASEAN citizen I don't know if this help with my application. I try asking the visa agent outside the consulate they tell me is no problem at all. You paid the fine is cleared.