Koh Phangan shooting prompts crackdown on 'Foreign Mafia'

webfact

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How incredible wrong and sad. As many beautiful islands in the world they have been destroyed by travel organizers world wide out to make a buck.

Mass tourism, alcohol and drugs are killing.

...you forgot stupidity!

"Thailand’s military junta has vowed to launch a major anti-vice campaign on the tourist island of Koh Tao following the horrific murders of two British backpackers."

"General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the country’s Prime Minister, has ordered an immediate offensive against “influential rackets and illegitimate businesses on the tourist island, and pledged to punish soldiers or police patronizing these people or their activities”

"The crackdown would target “mafia-type influential people”

I must have missed that crackdown in Sept. 2014.

whistling.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11120311/Thai-military-launches-anti-vice-crackdown-on-island-where-Britons-died.html

Just want to say there are a lot of Thais on these islands with lots of money but little education , they think they are above the law and can conduct business as they wish ... They are Idiots so steer clear !

They are above the law.

Not always ... There was a guy who worked for the Tesse Bahn and was involved in a shooting in Bophut last year who thought he was above the law but was jailed .

They will learn slowly .....................................

"Police charged Mr Chanin with hiring others to carry out a crime in a premeditated attempt to kill others. He denied all charges. The officers also charged Mr Sihanart and Mr Jirat with colluding in the attempted murder and illegal possession of firearms without permission. Mr Sihanart was arrested earlier but Mr Jirat has fled."

Sounds like Thai names to me?

What did the foreigners do?

Apart from sleep in their beds?

Read the article again. The allegation is a Russian who was leasing the bar instigated the attack.

I really feel sorry for this country ...but then again ...they know all too well what they are doing and whybah.gif for the people of thailand to put up with this and keep their mouths shut all the time just shows what they all are.

Foreign mafias are already in Thailand, but fortunately they keep a lowish profile and use it to hide out. This will eventually change as the standard of living goes up and they see more opportunities to thrive. The best thing from a criminal's point of view is that as it's usual not to have to declare your bsiness/employment, in terms of culture, there's nothing stopping you raking it in and no one would even think about the 'You have all this money. How did you get it?'-type line of questioning and investigative trigger. Obviously as with all business organisation and honesty are important and where they're lacking, businesses don't work very well. Unfortunately, these two business staples haven't been invented here yet.

amerasianex

Why not stay out from the tourist place, then you safe,

You tired of Thailand? where you go? you think it is better in other countries?

Well, Good luck to find the paradise! I hope you young, it gonna take you a lifetime to find it.

Thailand is great but these islands clearly have a huge problem. This current government took over to apparently reign in corruption yet these islands can go on unabated it seems (unless you are a foreign mafia of course)

These islands played a big role in the junta taking over and are a major source of income, hence their protected status

The Thai Mafia ia alowed with no fear of police involvement to rape rob and murder visitors on a daily basis. It happens several times a day in this country. But when a foriegner tetaliates they are mafia. Thats such bullshit, If this crome was actually investigated by police and the perpatrator was Thai aw 500 thb fine or nothing at all. So sick of this place. Im out. Cant stand this anymore....

I think a lot of falang feel the same as you. The Thai's dont care as they only want our money.

Add me to this list. After ten years I have now finalised my travel arrangements and will be leaving here forever.

I can only speak for Koh Phangan, (but problems appear even worse on KT). The corruption has been obvious for a long, long time but the rise in organised crime the past five or so years is now getting out of control and too dangerous. It doesn't help that the worst gang wear pathetic tight fitting uniforms...

It is as though the Russians brought speed to the party and the entire place is now a mad frenzy of idiots on bikes, big bikes and cars, speeding like there is no tomorrow. The taxis have always been manic but they are second worst now.

The police here are the same as KT, just a little more circumspect, but just as corrupt so the 'foreign mafia' are, in this case nothing of the sort - they are rent boys working for a corrupt Thai official, just like the foreigners on TV applauding the recent B2 conviction; rent boys living 'the life' without proper work permits or visas, 'protected' by corrupt police, officials and redneck 'Deliverance' type families. Thanks to their incredibly low IQs they are lulled into this false sense of warmth but in reality they can and will find themselves thrown to the wolves the very first opportunity if it means protecting one of the 'dippy' family members, (like the one who calls his sister Mom and his grandad Dad)...

These are the most beautiful islands anywhere (to me) - what a crying shame they have been placed in the hands of such incapable, inbred sociopaths who will destroy everything in their all-consuming lust for money and power...

I am starting to think there are no honest people left here, and am too ashamed to go on saying this is my home. The anger inside me is barely controllable so it is best I leave this godforsaken place.

sad.png

You are obviously true blue to your beliefs, you've clearly got morals and ethics, laced with plenty of guts, I admire you for that.

"Thailand’s military junta has vowed to launch a major anti-vice campaign on the tourist island of Koh Tao following the horrific murders of two British backpackers."

"General Prayut Chan-o-cha, the country’s Prime Minister, has ordered an immediate offensive against “influential rackets and illegitimate businesses on the tourist island, and pledged to punish soldiers or police patronizing these people or their activities”

"The crackdown would target “mafia-type influential people”

I must have missed that crackdown in Sept. 2014.

whistling.gif

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/11120311/Thai-military-launches-anti-vice-crackdown-on-island-where-Britons-died.html

Is he joking? No one goes there for vice. It's not got a Full Moon Party as is often disreported so either he's just trying to outdo himself on idiotic comments or he thinks he'll get a quick win, as there's no vice hardly there. What's he going to do, cut down the kratom trees like they said they'd go in Nakon Si Thammarat, but then they've all just grown back again? If he shuts the relatively small prostitution business down there, Thais will think they've got no choice but to rape tourists. It's not tourism that creates most job openings in that line of work in Thailand---it's Thais, and that goes for their drug and alcohol business demand drivers also.

Changing the subject A little.I really enjoy Koh Phangan.Enjoy the Full Moon Party.The problem I have is later at night I want to go back to the hotel for some sleep.The hotel next door is having their own FMP.

I'm hoping this incident won't hurt Phangan more than it already has in the past.

Justice will eventually run it's painfully slow course in this case

Those that have been hiding behind various costumes, uniforms, families, positions of influence, gags and money, will indeed meet the same end as all living creatures. Depending on one beliefs; the wicked may come back to a most miserable existence, while others, may go out like a candle without as much as a wisp of kind remembrance . The good may revel in a joyous after existence based on not harming anyone, reaching out to help others and by sharing with the less fortunate

Greed, sloth, lust, corruption and evil will eventually be discarded by the owner of that last breath, who at the same time may grasp for some sort of merit, salvation or forgiveness for a life badly spent.

Ah, cute. Get rid of the foreign mafia - few of whom, I imagine, could even find Sicily on a map - thus leaving the field wide open for the untouchable local versions.

But why not get rid of the foreign labour, too? Then, at the end of it all, there will be nowhere else for the buck to stop.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

I went troughout all these comments as I do for most of the news on thaivisa which in itself is a very useful site. As far as Koh Phanang is concerned, for the full moon parties fans, I would say if you do not want to get in trouble, don't go to places where you know you can get in heavy trouble. There are enough safe places around the world to join fullmoon parties which do not have this reputation.
For the rest, I am always amazed, how most of the commenters are making firm statements on totally unconfirmed or under investigation cases, and mostly in the same direction. This is the my first post in five years and it will probably be the only one.
I really wonder what all these commenters are still doing in this country. The day I feel like they do or write, I would be gone since long.
Maybe they are just jealous on younger generations or wealthier people establishing in the country and try to discourage them by their writing....
I am living here since five years on a OA Visa and its legal extensions. I drive my big bike, my zoomer and my car, to fast and to often the "thaiway" (except never when drunk), I have been controled at least 50 times since I am here, in all part of the country, always by polite police officers without any abuse of uniform. I have had a big crash, after hospital, I went to the police station several times a few hours, to force the other party, their polorbo and their insurrance company to recongnise the responsability of the other pick-up driver, and succeeded in getting paid back for all my expenses, with the help of the police officers and their ombusman. I never paid anything to anyone under the table. I have only been fined two times for some good reasons and could negociate a 50% discount at no other cost, with a ticket. Same for my properties, Etc.. Seems that we are not living in the same country or that I ama very lucky man...
So, I wonder how much of all these comments are BS, and how much are speaking the true.

PS :sorry for my english it is not my mother tongue.

Crackdown on foreign mafia in Samui and Phangan required says Deputy Prime Minister

KOH SAMUI: -- Prawit Wongsuwon, Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister, has instructed local authorities in the province of Surat Thani to stamp out foreign mafia groups according to a report in the Bangkok post.

The move comes after a shooting in a bar on Koh Phangan last Tuesday. Nobody was hurt during the incident, however panic did break out and resulted in the arrest of a Russian and three Thai nationals.

Surat Thani provincial governor Wongsiri Phromchana told government agencies in the province to step up measures to suppress foreign mafia gangs after receiving the orders from Gen Prawit. Koh Samui and Koh Phangan will be the main focus of the clamp down.

A major crackdown in Samui and Phangan is now expected. Mr Wongsiri says he has received reports of foreigners illegally operating businesses such as resorts and restaurants on both islands as well as Koh Tao and he believes that these businesses have become meeting points for local mafia and their crime networks.

Gen Prawit went on to say that he will order the launch of a massive inspection of those businesses as well as their money trails and great attention will be paid to mafia style influential foreigners. He went on to stress that Thai state officials must not be involved with or support foreign criminal activities.

Those found to be involved will face stiff punishment he said, we have to get tough on these people, or they may damage the tourism businesses of the province he added.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-01-19

No..No...just another slight misunderstanding on some peoples part.

Everything will be smoothed over with Russian Vodka.

Meantime: Foreign Mafia?? ...Ha ha....

A Russian man is leasing the bar facility from the Mayor so now there is a Foreign Mafia needing to be suppressed, and quickly, as that is what they headline implies.

Seems there is a lot of after the facts media sensationalism going on here.

However....have to agree about firing a weapon off at the next door establishment that complained about the noise as firing off a weapon is way too much and out of line but it says the gun men were Thai and hired by someone ( probably the mayor guy ) to threaten the next door neighbor property owner to keep quite and tolerate the ongoing party and all the noise.

What??...Someone is complaining.....Warn them off...Just shoot at them.

I say arrest the Mayor as there is no doubt he is guilty of something ...probably many things...so yeah ..blame it on the mayor...lol

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

these drug partys should be brought to astop.....about 20-30 years ago khopgan was a beautifull secludet island with the creation of international drug partys (incl all the gangs thai and international ) that ar einvolved in tha tbusiness (incl thai police tha tcloses its eyes because of big dollars ) the place went downhill step by step.....