buying a used SUV Isuzu MuX vehicle

wood

I find it strange that people can condemn the MUx because of silly specification and driver opinion sheets. The bottom line is that it is probably the most rugged of the SUV's. If you want a ride and drive like a car, buy a car. And no, I don't own a MUx. People who do own the MUx's love them.

• Like 1

Hi Gary,

It's no surprise, people get very passionate about cars, it's the way they are marketed and the larger corporations set many emotive triggers in order to capture their loyal soldiers.

Ironically, Ford, for example, are now not a major player in the UK, whereas they used to be the market leader for sales reps and builders etc. Coincidentally, I don't recall seeing any TV advertisements over the last few years.

I would say Toyota on the other hand, have consistently reminded and reinforced their core ethos of quality and service to the mass market in the UK - it certainly shows and now every other car you see on the road will be a Toyota.

They have cleverly stolen the market and have built up a broad and loyal base now.

It's all about advertising and whether you accept and endorse or dismiss.

Cheers

Wood

Hi Gary,

It's no surprise, people get very passionate about cars, it's the way they are marketed and the larger corporations set many emotive triggers in order to capture their loyal soldiers.

Ironically, Ford, for example, are now not a major player in the UK, whereas they used to be the market leader for sales reps and builders etc. Coincidentally, I don't recall seeing any TV advertisements over the last few years.

I would say Toyota on the other hand, have consistently reminded and reinforced their core ethos of quality and service to the mass market in the UK - it certainly shows and now every other car you see on the road will be a Toyota.

They have cleverly stolen the market and have built up a broad and loyal base now.

Cheers

Wood

You do spout load of bullocks.

Ford not a major player despite being the #1 brand in the UK since forever?

2015 #1 13% share

Vauxhall at #2 with 10% share

VW at #3 with 8% share

Turdota at 4% and behind all the German brands and a few others.

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Wood

2015 #1 13% share

VW at #3 with 8% share

Touched a nerve there Lad.

I did say " not a major player" 13% is hardly a major player. (just my opinion).

Ford have now removed all their UK manufacturing facilities in the UK, whereas Toyota are constantly investing in the UK production facilities and it's workforce.

That's a strategic major player, nothing to do with unit sales.

Transit sales are holding up though, shame they are not made in the UK any more. My brother makes a healthy living selling them, my brother-in-law makes a healthy living repairing them, both, in the main to fleet and the building trade.

They both advise me against buying one, who do I believe ?

Hence the desire to buy a locally made car in Thailand, there will be much more support and knowledge of domestic vehicles when the need arises.

Back on topic, now I understand more about the Isuzu MuX, I look forward to owning one soon and thank all those who have positively contributed to this topic.

Cheers

Wood

Hi Gary,

Cheers

Wood

2015 #1 13% share

VW at #3 with 8% share

Touched a nerve there Lad.

I did say " not a major player" 13% is hardly a major player. (just my opinion).

Ford have now removed all their UK manufacturing facilities in the UK, whereas Toyota are constantly investing in the UK production facilities and it's workforce.

That's a strategic major player, nothing to do with unit sales.

Transit sales are holding up though, shame they are not made in the UK any more. My brother makes a healthy living selling them, my brother-in-law makes a healthy living repairing them, both, in the main to fleet and the building trade.

They both advise me against buying one, who do I believe ?

Hence the desire to buy a locally made car in Thailand, there will be much more support and knowledge of domestic vehicles when the need arises.

Back on topic, now I understand more about the Isuzu MuX, I look forward to owning one soon and thank all those who have positively contributed to this topic.

Cheers

Wood

I have no brand loyalty and did a lot of Internet surfing to look at many different reviews. The Isuzu V Cross was near the top of my interest because I wanted a 4X4 . I also studied Toyota, Ford, Mazda and Nissan. Looking at the reviews, the MUx popped up quite often. I read those reviews too. Maybe not the most polished but at the top of the off road tests with the best fuel economy on the highway. Right or wrong, I judge fuel economy as being the best engineered. I ended up with the V Cross and am very happy with it. The worst fuel economy I got so far with the 3.0 liter engine 4X4 was 14.85 kilometers per liter. I think that is outstanding for a 4X4 with plenty of power. That said, I don't have a heavy foot. Out here in the boonies, I sometimes don't get out of 4th gear because 5th gear is geared too high. Under 80 KPH I stay in 4th gear. I like to stay over 1,500 RPM.

Regarding annual road tax on the Isuzu Mux.

I appreciate that the 3.0L will be more than the 2.5L, does any member have a table of the relevant annual cost for these two engines.

Are there any expected increases in the pipeline ?

Also, is there any noticeable difference in performance between the 2 engines.

Any information is much appreciated.

Cheers

Wood.

Right or wrong, I judge fuel economy as being the best engineered.

Fuel economy is determined by various factors - but primarily engine efficiency vs weight vs gearing. Smaller engines are generally more efficient than larger ones (unless woefully undersized), lighter cars are going to be more fuel efficient than heavier ones.

In the case of the Isuzu MU-X, it's not because it has super efficient engines, it's because of all the weight (and features) it doesn't have.

A 2WD 3.0L Auto MU-X weighs just 1,900 KG - the 4x4 version weighs just 2,000KG - that's almost 500KG less than something like an Everest.

In that comparison the difference is all in the extras you're getting in the Ford - heavier duty chassis and body steel, watts link rear end, more advanced AWD system, more extensive soundproofing, better physical crash safety, more airbags and safety systems, electric tailgate, 4 electric seats, panoramic roof etc etc.

In short, judging a car purely on fuel efficiency only is ignoring a lot of other very important attributes.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I like the Everest but its FAT, even allowing for its features. It is also more powerful so always going to suck fuel faster than it's competitors. Our Everest uses at least 10% more fuel than our old PJS and Fortuner. The 4 cylinder Everest and Ranger are still heavy compared to their competitors so it not just the 5 cylinder engine.

Isuzu have done a great job of convincing people they have better fuel economy. Their engineering is not really superior, they use the similar components and designs to the other Japanese makes but tune the drive-train for economy more than performance. They typically have less power or torque and keep the auto trans shift points low. Not many Isuzu buyers choose them for acceleration anyway so when driven slowly, they give good fuel consumption.

post-149670-0-16846500-1453860747_thumb.

I appreciate that the 3.0L will be more than the 2.5L, does any member have a table of the relevant annual cost for these two engines.

Cheers

Wood.

The 3.0 liter option does cost quite a bit more than the 2.5 liter. I don't remember the numbers but it was more than I thought it would be. Both dealers told me that the 3.0 liter was higher tech thus the higher price difference. Driving both, I felt the 3.0 liter had considerably more power. Both dealers told me the 4X4 3.0 liter fuel economy was better than with the 2.5. Isuzu has since replaced the 2.5 liter with a 1.9 liter. If I would have waited for the 1.9 I would still have bought the 3.0. Did I need the 3.0, no but that's what I wanted. I didn't need the 4X4 either but that's what I wanted.

it's a shame isuzu is so far behind. the Dmax looks pretty good compared to toyota/mazda. By that i mean it looks like a pickup and not a new beetle pickup version made especially for hello kitty stickers

And in what area is Isuzu behind the rest? The only complaint I have is with the GPS. The map is outdated. From talking to other people, all the in dash units regardless of the brand have outdated maps. Isuzu has told me that I will get a free map update when it is available. Bluetooth, iPod, DVD, stereo and the backup camera work great. It probably rides better than most, very quiet, great fuel economy and a nice interior.

Thanks for that Jitar, quiet surprised with the weight comparison, but not unexpected, it is American after all, they are not renowned for their low mass.

From the knowledge you guys are providing, I am concluding the Isuzu MuX, as a first product by Isuzu in this category, is the vehicle that has basically come from nowhere in 18 months and has slotted into a credible position in the market against established competition.

In essence, they have done a wonderful job. It's clearly not a poseurs vehicle and does exactly what it was designed to do and to be the most fuel efficient is a bonus.

GaryA, IMHO, thank you for your contributions so far, very objective and factual additions, other posters drop into this and various topics and clearly are biased and subjective, fair enough. Though I do think it only achieves a disservice to the very products, consequently, it is fairly easy to dismiss any comment, similar to the noisy child at the back of the class.

Regarding my last post, can anyone advise on the annual road tax for a used Isuzu MuX

Cheers

Wood

Thanks for that Jitar, quiet surprised with the weight comparison, but not unexpected, it is American after all, they are not renowned for their low mass.

From the knowledge you guys are providing, I am concluding the Isuzu MuX, as a first product by Isuzu in this category, is the vehicle that has basically come from nowhere in 18 months and has slotted into a credible position in the market against established competition.

In essence, they have done a wonderful job. It's clearly not a poseurs vehicle and does exactly what it was designed to do and to be the most fuel efficient is a bonus.

GaryA, IMHO, thank you for your contributions so far, very objective and factual additions, other posters drop into this and various topics and clearly are biased and subjective, fair enough. Though I do think it only achieves a disservice to the very products, consequently, it is fairly easy to dismiss any comment, similar to the noisy child at the back of the class.

Regarding my last post, can anyone advise on the annual road tax for a used Isuzu MuX

Cheers

Wood

The MU-X is not Isuzu's first effort. The first was the MU (Mysterious Utility) which only sold here in very small numbers in the 90's. Their next attempt was the MU-7 which sold here between 2004 and 2013. The latest effort is the MU-X, and it's not even an Isuzu design wink.png GM Brazil penned the design, with Isuzu only putting their own engines and gearboxes in, and some small changes like audio system and interior colors. Look at the Chev Trailblazer to see it's "donor" vehicle smile.png

Road tax will be around 7,000 Baht/yr

The MU-X was first released in October 2013, 19 Months after it's donor vehicle (Trailblazer) was first launched.

I should also note that from 1991 to 2003, Isuzu sold a car called the Trooper here, which while not having the "MU" moniker, was an SUV based on a pickup chassis, so should probably be considered as being part of the lineage.

Edited by IMHO

Gary A, on 27 Jan 2016 - 09:49, said:
wood, on 27 Jan 2016 - 02:50, said:

Cheers

Wood.

The 3.0 liter option does cost quite a bit more than the 2.5 liter. I don't remember the numbers but it was more than I thought it would be. Both dealers told me that the 3.0 liter was higher tech thus the higher price difference. Driving both, I felt the 3.0 liter had considerably more power. Both dealers told me the 4X4 3.0 liter fuel economy was better than with the 2.5. Isuzu has since replaced the 2.5 liter with a 1.9 liter. If I would have waited for the 1.9 I would still have bought the 3.0. Did I need the 3.0, no but that's what I wanted. I didn't need the 4X4 either but that's what I wanted.

I had one of the first New D Max (March 2012)... a 3ltr V-Cross Z whatever. I did the Insight Challenge a couple of times and got amazing fuel consumption. All the 3Ltr engined vehicles fuel economy were better than the 2.5s.

I always found that the computer indicated fuel consumption showed somewhat better than the actual. Also I noticed that as the engine aged the fuel consumption got worse ... this may have been partly to do with the fact that it was rarely driven hard.

If you look on fuelly.com you will see my fuel consumption (jas21) and notes from April 2014 until October 2015 when I sold it. The average fuel consumption during that period was 12.2Km/Ltr. Kilometers were approaching 60,000 when it was sold.

I recall the times that I could get an indicated 20Km/Ltr, driving BK to Kanchanaburi, if I kept the speed around 80-85km/hr. . Much above that and the fuel economy dived. Never got very near that in years two or three of ownership though.

Having said that I enjoyed the time that I owned it and loved the 'huge boot'... would have kept it somewhat longer but for the tax increase ... now have an EVT+ and it's giving between 10 and 11km/ltr. unless in heavy BK traffic. It is a huge improvement and feels very sure footed.

At my last two fill ups, I found the Isuzu on board computer has changed a bit and is now quite accurate. How do you rate the ride between the Everest and the V Cross. Is the Everest a lot better or not that much different? How about road noise?

The Everest isn't American.

Correct, but it will be visiting the USA in a couple of years ;)

Correct, but it will be visiting the USA in a couple of years wink.png

with a V8? :)

Gary A, on 27 Jan 2016 - 16:35, said:

At my last two fill ups, I found the Isuzu on board computer has changed a bit and is now quite accurate. How do you rate the ride between the Everest and the V Cross. Is the Everest a lot better or not that much different? How about road noise?

I replied to this yesterday ... and now it's not there ... I believe that I'm at least the 2nd person that this has happened to in the last 2-3 days.

Lads,

You've done a cracking job of hijacking the post which was to understand how best to buy a used Isuzu MuX with a budget of 1 M baht.

I thank those that contributed, you know who you are and then we have those who's sole remit is to taunt those who don't want to and perhaps can not afford to spend over 1M baht.,

One thing is for sure, you must be proud of yourselves carrying all that weight around ?

i could have very easily pushed and promoted the G Wagon, very easy to do that, but it's not the place nor the post to do that and besides, what would readers think of me if was to do that ?

V6 - V8 - V12 take your pick.

Cheers

Wood.

Gary A, on 27 Jan 2016 - 16:35, said:

I replied to this yesterday ... and now it's not there ... I believe that I'm at least the 2nd person that this has happened to in the last 2-3 days.

I'm guessing it was quite a lengthy reply too.. bummer.

@Gary A: the differences in ride quality and road noise are wide enough that there's no mistaking which one you're in. It's not a close competition.

Lads,

You've done a cracking job of hijacking the post which was to understand how best to buy a used Isuzu MuX with a budget of 1 M baht.

I thank those that contributed, you know who you are and then we have those who's sole remit is to taunt those who don't want to and perhaps can not afford to spend over 1M baht.,

One thing is for sure, you must be proud of yourselves carrying all that weight around ?

i could have very easily pushed and promoted the G Wagon, very easy to do that, but it's not the place nor the post to do that and besides, what would readers think of me if was to do that ?

V6 - V8 - V12 take your pick.

Cheers

Wood.

You can start a Thaivisa topic, but you sure can't steer it :P

Really, so which motor co makes it then?. Nissans made in UK are not Japanese, Mercs in South Africa are not German cars, & Triumph motorcycles made in Thailand are not British.

Really, so which motor co makes it then?. Nissans made in UK are not Japanese, Mercs in South Africa are not German cars, & Triumph motorcycles made in Thailand are not British.

AAT make the Everest, a Thai company (JV between Ford and Mazda).

Most of the design is from Australia.

Parts from Thailand and other countries.

The only US bit is the Ford name.

Debating the nationality of cars is futile.

Nobody made fun of people that cant afford 1 mil baht, i think it was more a warning that isuzu is the worst choice even in used car. Unless you care just about outside appearance and not about safety or ride quality

I must say that you are unusual. Thai Visa has a lot of Ford haters and Chevy haters but VERY few Isuzu haters. Personally I pay little attention to any of the haters of any particular brand. The bottom line here is that all the different brands are pretty good or they wouldn't be in business very long. A few years ago Ford was the worst as far as fuel economy but now they are near the top. Years ago Isuzu pretty much fit the description of farm tractors because of noise and vibrations. I know because I once had an old one and I hated it. Today they too are as good as any and maybe better than most. I have had three Toyota pickups. I loved the first one, the second one was also fine. The third was the worst lemon vehicle I ever had. Had the Toyota dealer/salesman been polite and worked with me, I would likely be driving a new Toyota. The Ford dealer/salesman was also arrogant. Only Mazda and Isuzu were willing to work with me. As far as the Mazda, I just couldn't get past the looks. The best vehicle I ever owned was a Nissan pickup. After reading many reviews, Nissan came off my list. I should add that I wanted to buy from a local dealer and I'm sure that other dealers are probably much better than my local dealers.

AAT make the Everest, a Thai company (JV between Ford and Mazda).

Most of the design is from Australia.

Parts from Thailand and other countries.

The only US bit is the Ford name.

Debating the nationality of cars is futile.

AAT a Thai company, well that's stretching things a bit. The Detroit of Asia with $1.5 billion invested so far. As for futility, this is a forum, try not to forget that.

Nobody made fun of people that cant afford 1 mil baht, i think it was more a warning that isuzu is the worst choice even in used car. Unless you care just about outside appearance and not about safety or ride quality

I must say that you are unusual. Thai Visa has a lot of Ford haters and Chevy haters but VERY few Isuzu haters. Personally I pay little attention to any of the haters of any particular brand. The bottom line here is that all the different brands are pretty good or they wouldn't be in business very long. A few years ago Ford was the worst as far as fuel economy but now they are near the top. Years ago Isuzu pretty much fit the description of farm tractors because of noise and vibrations. I know because I once had an old one and I hated it. Today they too are as good as any and maybe better than most. I have had three Toyota pickups. I loved the first one, the second one was also fine. The third was the worst lemon vehicle I ever had. Had the Toyota dealer/salesman been polite and worked with me, I would likely be driving a new Toyota. The Ford dealer/salesman was also arrogant. Only Mazda and Isuzu were willing to work with me. As far as the Mazda, I just couldn't get past the looks. The best vehicle I ever owned was a Nissan pickup. After reading many reviews, Nissan came off my list. I should add that I wanted to buy from a local dealer and I'm sure that other dealers are probably much better than my local dealers.

I think you are failing to understand what good car means

It does not mean you enjoy it, it means that paper its better than the others. If you make your decisions solely on a somchai that enjoyed his time with isuzu or the look of it, then go ahead, even if you are happy you still made a bad financial/safety decision

Edited by bearpolar