Jews welcome in Russia, Putin tells Europe's Jewish leaders

webfact

Jews welcome in Russia, Putin tells Europe's Jewish leaders

606x341_321734.jpg

"They emigrated from here under Soviet Union, but now they can come back."

MOSCOW: -- Russian president Vladimir Putin has met with European Jewish leaders to discuss their concerns over rising anti-Semitism on the continent.

During the meeting, Putin pointed out that many Jews emigrated from Moscow when it was part of the former Soviet Union. He said now they can come back.

The president of the European Jewish Congress, Moshe Kantor said the number of Jews fleeing Europe is also on the rise.

“The situation with the Jews in Europe is the worst it has been since the end of the Second World War,” said Kantor. “The Jews are again in fear and a Jewish exodus from Europe is quite real. There are more Jews fleeing France, which is considered very secure, than from civil-war-torn Ukraine.”

“Let them come here,” said Putin. “They emigrated from here under Soviet Union, but now they can come back.”

Marseille anti-semitic stabbing
Last week, a Jewish teacher in the French city of Marseille was the target of an anti-Semitic machete attack.

The victim escaped serious injury: protecting himself with a Torah he was carrying.

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder on religious and terrorist grounds.

The attack has left the community in fear.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-20

This is big news... Jews are welcome somewhere, usually Jews are on the run and hide for their lives

shunt and ostracized in many of the countries around the world, so hear that now Jews are welcome,

kinda refreshing oxymoron......

Putin may be opposing antisemitism, but observing some of the posts here, it's an uphill battle, even on this forum.

I am no fan of Putin or scapegoating any group but I suppose he deserves some credit for deciding not to scapegoat Jews for political purposes (instead the gays get that treatment in Russia). The reports are that Putin had some very positive personal experience with some Jewish people growing up and that is the root of his decision to not do the usual historical Russian thing regarding Jews.

Ironic headline, considering my great grandfather fled to Europe 150 years ago to escape the pogroms against Jews in Russia.

Putin is doing this because he sees an opportunity to get one up over the Europeans, who still have sanctions in place against him over his invasion of Crimea. It's certainly not for any altruistic reasons.

Politically, an astute move on his part. Considering his foray into the ME situation, having some sympathy from Israel isn't going to hurt him nor will having some semblance of regard for the general attitude toward Jews.

I wonder if he would be welcoming of Arab Palestinians?

So now the U.S. who gives Israel several million dollars annually, earmarked for immigration of Jews from Russia to Israel can begin to balance it's budget? (FYI: The U.S. gives Israel $6 billion in annual aid packages, since 1946)

Ironic headline, considering my great grandfather fled to Europe 150 years ago to escape the pogroms against Jews in Russia.

Putin is doing this because he sees an opportunity to get one up over the Europeans, who still have sanctions in place against him over his invasion of Crimea. It's certainly not for any altruistic reasons.

I have a similar background and I agree this is mostly about anti-west propaganda for Putin. But on the other hand I'm under the impression that Jews in Russia are being treated OK now, especially relative to history, and that ain't nothing for the Jews that are there. If I'm mistaken about that, please post about it.

I have a similar background and I agree this is mostly about anti-west propaganda for Putin. But on the other hand I'm under the impression that Jews in Russia are being treated OK now, especially relative to history, and that ain't nothing for the Jews that are there. If I'm mistaken about that, please post about it.

I think jews was OK in Russia before this. There are a lot of jews politics and on TV and they don't really have any troubles.

I think jews was OK in Russia before this. There are a lot of jews politics and on TV and they don't really have any troubles.

Depends on exactly when we're talking about.

nobody been to Birobidzhan then? I have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Autonomous_Oblast

I'm aware of the place from films but I don't see the relevance to overall historic question of the status of Jews pre-USSR, during the USSR and Russia. Today only a very tiny percent of the population in that Oblast are Jews and it is so very far from Moscow, etc.

The situation ebbs and flows.

It's a long and complex history. The history of that Oblast is part of it, just one part of it.

My grandparents just barely got out alive (Russian Empire period), escaping pogroms. Murdering (and oppressing) Jews has been a national sport in Europe and Eastern Europe for many centuries. It didn't just pop out of thin air in Nazi Germany.

Edited by Jingthing

Depends on exactly when we're talking about.

Oh okay i agree. 150 years ago jews must leave Russia. But right now and since 1930 jews are OK in Russia.

Considering the record number of European Jews who made Aliyah in 2015 I suspect Putin was quite rightly (albeit ironically) out the rampant antisemitism in Europe, driven by its policies of enabling mass Muslim immigration.

But it's not only that. It's also traditional Christian Judeophobia plus traditional fascists plus leftists who use demonization of Israel to bleed into Jews in general.

Considering the record number of European Jews who made Aliyah in 2015 I suspect Putin was quite rightly (albeit ironically) out the rampant antisemitism in Europe, driven by its policies of enabling mass Muslim immigration.

But it's not only that. It's also traditional Christian Judeophobia plus traditional fascists plus leftists who use demonization of Israel to bleed into Jews in general.

Christian Judeophobia... plus leftists who use ...demonization of Israel...

Come up with something new.

All the old hate words - racist, bigot, anti-Semite, fascist demagogue, Jew hater, have lost their electric charge from overuse.

Good propaganda for Putin, another dig at Western Europe.

Putin is about scapegoating gay people.

Not Jewish people.

What are during about this?

Have you through of joining the sit in at the Russian Embassy In Washington DC this coming May 1 2016

surely every nation would benefit from having more savvy business people.

You mean Cheap
Please don't stop there. Please go on....

And more Einsteins, Mahlers, and Chomskys, ... thumbsup.gif

Actually it's probably no contest, but I wasn't interested in the contest. I wanted to see how deep mr bark's mouth was.

Christian Judeophobia... plus leftists who use ...demonization of Israel...

Come up with something new.

All the old hate words - racist, bigot, anti-Semite, fascist demagogue, Jew hater, have lost their electric charge from overuse.

It's not your history. Maybe it's easy for you to tire... A lot hasn't changed in 3000 years, why should the words change after a few hundred???

Good propaganda for Putin, another dig at Western Europe.

Putin is about scapegoating gay people.

Not Jewish people.

What are during about this?

Have you through of joining the sit in at the Russian Embassy In Washington DC this coming May 1 2016

No as I'm not aware of what that's about and I live in Thailand.

Next ...