Big Bike Insurance Providers - Suggestions ?

Kerryd

As I mentioned in the thread about the spill I took a couple months ago, I had been insured (Class 1) by AA Insurance (Thai Sri) for 8 years on my Harley. I've been told they don't want to insure me anymore though so I need a new provider.

The person who was handling my claim went through all the motions (going to the scene, asking questions, taking statements, pictures, etc). The bike shop gave him an estimate for repairs (around 110,000 baht). Apparently this was a bit of a shock for some reason. The bike shop explained that because my bike was an Anniversary edition, the front fender would have to be sent back to the manufacturer to be repaired (due to the anniversary edition decals which can't be bought separately). After a couple weeks I was checking on the status of my claim and was told that they didn't want to pay out because it was too expensive !

The shop went with a different quote by buying a second hand front fender from the same make/model/year. Dropped the quote down to 90,000 baht. Seems they still don't want to pay, even though they told me I'd have to pay a 25,000 deductible (because they couldn't lay blame for the accident on anyone else as I had managed to avoid hitting the person that caused the accident, who drove off without stopping of course). It's been over 2 1/2 months now but I'm told they'll be sending me a cheque (eventually). I was told that over a month and a half ago as well.

But, while the insurance company clerk was taking pictures of the bike (to prove the repairs had actually be done) I asked about renewing my insurance as it had expired a couple days earlier and they hadn't sent me the usual renewal notice. I had a Thai friend with me who told me they didn't want renew my insurance because my bike was "too old" (it's a 2003 but the book says 2005 because some numpty couldn't figure out how to read the serial number properly when it was originally registered).

I asked the clerk myself and was told they didn't want to insure me anymore because my claim was "too expensive" !

8 years of Class 1 premiums and a claim that will work out to less than a third of what I've paid is "too expensive" ? I can only imagine what the reaction would have been had I hit the guy who cut me off and totalled the bike and ended up in the hospital !

Any ways. I searched through the forum for posts regarding Insurance providers but it seems the Toykia (?) Marine (Hondas only) and AA Insurance seem to be the only 2 mentioned ?

Surely there are other providers that handle big bikes ?

• 2 weeks later...

So far no luck but I may have a lead.

One broker informed me that they couldn't provide Class 1 insurance because my Harley is over 5 years old ! Seriously ?

They offered me a lower class that included a whopping 5,000 baht coverage for "own damage" on a bike worth of 600,000. Yeah right.

Still waiting for the claim to be paid out. It's been almost 3 full months now. Good thing I didn't end up in the hospital or I'd probably be sitting there handcuffed to a bed waiting for them to settle the bill (though there are a lot of cute nurses at the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital so maybe it wouldn't be too bad) !

I get my insurance for all three motorbikes (including my Yamaha SR 400) and my car from a German broker. I have also managed to get the rest of our condo management team to switch coverage to him from the old provider when Rainer discovered that our previous coverage did not include liability for personal injury. Needless to say, I think very highly of Rainer. And one more thing, he owns a big Harley.

DELETED - PM for info

Edited by seedy
personal details

Forum rule - 18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

• 2 months later...

I've had accident insurance with AXA for the past year. When I just renewed it I enquired about insuring a Harley. 34K to fully cover a bike up to 800K. Is that reasonable?

You may want to check around. I was insured with AA Insurance (through ThaiSri) and was paying about 21,000 for Class 1 on my 2003 Harley (that they think is a 2005) on a declared value of 750.000.

I recall I had another quote from somewhere for about 19,000/year on a declared value of 600,000 for the same bike. I was going to check with Global Insurance (near Big C, South Pattaya) as I'd heard good things about them. LoL - It just occurred to me, my bike was sitting in our booth, barely 30 meters away from their booth, during Burapa and it totally skipped my mind to check on insurance rates at the time !