Land Trust

Are land trusts possible in Thailand? It seems like that would be a simple solution to land ownership problems provided a farang could be the trustee or be able to control the trust and the beneficiary was a Thai. I am not sure exactly how these work but in the US they are often used to get around property ownership issues. For instance the elderly will put property in a trust so that when they die the disposition of the property is not decided by a court.

There is no Trust Law in Thailand.

So the answer is no.

I kind of suspected that since I have never seen it mentioned. Too bad, it would solve a lot of troubles for farangs.

Trust Law did not originally figure in Civil Code countries such as Thailand. It is a Common Law concept. Usufruct, whilst not really the same, was used instead. However many countries have now established Trusts as part of their Civil Code, and in fact some years ago an expert was well received by the Government on his proposals for "part trusts". However, as usual in Thailand, things move slowly and Governments change. :o