Where to Start?

hdkane

Hello...I'm retired, and decided I would like to try gaming. I am really late to the topic, but I'd like to see if it is worthwhile hobby for me. I have a decent internet connection, but I think I'd like to purchase a console and some games to play at home. I have no experience whatsoever...the last time I played a video game was more than 30 years ago, when the industry was in its infancy...think Pac Man or Donkey Kong...

I think I would prefer games such as call of duty, or perhaps a similar zombie killing game...or fighting game...something that can be played with a friend after a few beers...

What is the best gaming consoles for a beginner inThailand? Are games readily available? Where in BKK is a good place to shop?

Thank you...

Ps4 or xbox one are the newest ones

Or the wii the first one not the wii u

That is very famous for being easy 2 play all you got to do is move your hands, and it's perfect for a beginner I've seen a 80 year old lady play it, it's also good for a party probably the best Console ever for that, and now it's cheap as it is quit old if you go to tuk com you can probably get 50 games for next to nothing on a hard drive, and it will keep you fit to boot

If you ant played games for 30 years you might struggle with the likes of call of duty at first, but thise type of games are better for the hard core gamer why don't you ask in a shop if you can have a go first before you buy

As where to buy them there is a place some in China town in bkk like a small in closed market, I am sure some one else will know the address

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

You just need a PC and an internet connection, then play MMORPG! There are literately thousands out there and every variety one can think of. just google "MMORPG". some are even free, some are based on in-game purchases and some have a small monthly subscription fee.

I'd get a last-gen console like the Xbox 360. You'll still be impressed with the graphics etc if you're not familiar with modern gaming, you'll be able to pick one up second hand for a song, and there's a huge library of great games out there that will cost you next to nothing.

if i were you i would start with a PS3. cheaper then PS4 and can play online for free and they have hundreds of games. xbox and ps4 you need to pay to play online and they keep you credit card details and they easily convince you to waste more money on other stuff.

i have found easiest and cheaper and time saving to buy ps3 games from thai sites and get them ems to your house. its hard to find good cheap game shops in bangkok (if they even exist), especially being a farang the price is always high. thai sites have lower prices and saves you lots of time of going everywhere to hear their ridicoulus prices. pm me if you want i can send you some links for ps3 games ship all over thailand.

i currently have a ps4 and pretty much only play gta5 online (anyone else who plays gta5 online can pm me their psn and we can play together) i love it, but for a beginner it would cost around 15,000 baht to get a new one with a game and it might be a bit to overwelming.

Get a PS4, great fun. My uncle recently retired and he loves his. Personally I'm not a fan of the Wii, I think they are ok for a short amount of time but the games can't hold attention for long and are no fun to play 2 player.

Fighting games: Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat are fun fighting games.

If you're in Bangkok I'd recommend Nadz Project as a place to buy. They have branches in Terminal 21 (Asoke BTS) and Digital Gateway (Siam BTS), the machines they sell are legitimate with a proper Sony warranty and they are friendly guys.

As where to buy them there is a place some in China town in bkk like a small in closed market, I am sure some one else will know the address

Saphan Lek market. Sadly it's no longer there.

Are we talking about the same place I was there last March?

It was demolished late last year.

I am not sure about getting a ps3 or xbox 360 it might just be a waste of money if you want to upgrade to the ps4 or xbox one and if you can play the games on them you can play on the new ones

Some of the new games are not even comeing out on them now, also the last call of duty didn't even have the single player campaign on them

The ps4 and xbox one cost a lot more if you don't mind paying it's a better option the the ps3 or 360 in my opinion

If you want a easy console and good for a laugh consider the wii but the games are dated now but not as much as donkey Kong or pac man, I never really liked it that much as I am a hard core gamer, but was still impressed by it especially how much people liked it who wouldn't usually play games it was great at a Christmas party

Get a PS4, great fun. My uncle recently retired and he loves his. Personally I'm not a fan of the Wii, I think they are ok for a short amount of time but the games can't hold attention for long and are no fun to play 2 player.

Fighting games: Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat are fun fighting games.

If you're in Bangkok I'd recommend Nadz Project as a place to buy. They have branches in Terminal 21 (Asoke BTS) and Digital Gateway (Siam BTS), the machines they sell are legitimate with a proper Sony warranty and they are friendly guys.

Yes this shop is a good place I use the pattaya branch to buy my ps4 games

But if you go for the a older console you can get copy games from all other places but then you can't play online

It was demolished late last year.
Dam

AlQaholic, on 21 Jan 2016 - 08:28, said:AlQaholic, on 21 Jan 2016 - 08:28, said:AlQaholic, on 21 Jan 2016 - 08:28, said:

You just need a PC and an internet connection, then play MMORPG! There are literately thousands out there and every variety one can think of. just google "MMORPG". some are even free, some are based on in-game purchases and some have a small monthly subscription fee.

I'm a pc gamer and there is a huge range of free to play games although some of them do try to push you to buy in game purchases by making your progress through the game slow. See the attached link for some idea of games available. You can also go the abandonware route and even though graphically these games might be years away from current games a lot of them are still very good to play. If you go the pc route be careful if you buy the knock off dvd's that can be found in most computer malls or markets, nearly every one I've bought have had viruses etc on them. The biggest problem with online pc gaming in Thailand is getting a good ping to the game servers, haven't been able to play my beloved battlefield due to having a minimum ping of about 300ms even though we have the 30mb fibre to home connection - sigh.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/100-best-free-pc-games

Like you, I'm retired and looked around for gaming consoles... I bought the new version PS4, its version number is CHU1200, and is fully warranted by Sony. It's name on Lazada was "PS4 Japanese version", has 8 Gb video Ram (DDR5) and has the most beautiful graphics I have ever seen, the Lazada price I paid was 12,800 Baht, a heck of a deal you may or may not be able to equal now. (purchased mid Dec. 2015). I bought also from Lazada the game F1 2015, it's easy to play, but you can make it harder and harder should you wish. Sony, in their PS4 store often offer free games, many of which I've downloaded, some are garbage but some are great... as has been previously mentioned be careful about buying add on's, they can get expensive. As well as F1, I'm beginning to enjoy the two free Soccer games I have from the Sony store. Good luck and enjoy!

Are you in Thailand? I am 70, have an xbox360 in Pattaya and one in our house in Philippines. Got around 30+ games in Pattaya, all copy games for 100 baht each. It is not used on line, I am much too slow to keep up !

I arrive Saturday for 2 months and you are more than welcome to try it out. There are a number of gaming places around pattaya, most have ps3 and only 20 baht an hour. go in the morning before school gets out as the noise is intense

I know the OP was after a gaming console but why not trying a few games on a laptop or PC if you have either. There are plenty of online games available. A lot has changed in 30 years, especially where you can now play live online with and against anyone in the world. It can be addictive as I have a 21 year old son currently living with me and he is trying to break into the pro ranks with the game LOL. Even if the OP went down the console route, I'm sure he could pick up an older version a bit cheaper just to see if it really is his thing before splurging on the latest and greatest...

Assuming you don't go for a Wii, Left for dead 2 is a very good zombie one for playing with friends or solo, I would consider buying a half decent PC with a HDMI slot & running it to your flat screen TV, much more versatile than a console with a far greater choice of games...

I use Nadzproject.com in BKK. They have most things and latest games.

Although rather than buying a xbox one when it came out I sold my 360 and spent 45,000 bht on a new PC and went back to gaming on them.

Most games can be bought and downloaded plus ones that have been out for a few months cost as little as 100 bht. I find the pc games tend to last longer for playing than consoles , plus you can go on sites and play all the old arcade classics as you remember them for free.

....many choices...good luck deciding....

...I guess you need someone to list the different models. prices, features, options, advantages and disadvantages....

...personally I could not follow.....post after post.....ps this .......and x b that....

...maybe visit some people that own one or the other and give them a try.....

I always had an Xbox back home and loved it. Bought a second hand PS4 here last week for 8000B for a kid who is visiting and he has yet to pull me off it. Keep in mind (you being new to this and all) the Xbox and PS4's are not just for gaming and offer a ton of access to other content. Seeing how Netflix is in Thailand legally now I just added the app to my PS4 and put the app on the kids Ipad giving him access to the account. He gets cartoons to his hearts content and I get several hours or blood thirst quenched on Black Ops 3 weekly. Not sure about where you live but we have local facebook groups where you can get just about anything. Even if you don't want second hand electronics (understandably) you would have a quick outlet to get rid of it at a good price if it turned out to not be for you. Additional details about the PS4 is that it comes with a 500gb hard drive and any games you want are downloadable but large. Black Ops for example is a 40gb game. I am fairly sure it accepts a usb hard drive though and I have a 2TB drive I could plug in if the library grows. Annual fee for PS+ service is about $45 USD.

Jump on the internet, load up google and fire away and get all the info you need.. in depth!!

Research the platforms, the genre that most interests you, and do a search on those type of games and check out there gameplays on youtube. That's fun in itself.

Once you get into gaming, chances it will hook you right in.

I built myself a nice PC rig, and have played multiple type games but mainly like the RPG's and FPS style games. Playing Fallout 4 now and man, I have never been more hooked on a game.

Keeps me out of bars and clubs biggrin.png

Jump on the internet, load up google and fire away and get all the info you need.. in depth!!

Research the platforms, the genre that most interests you, and do a search on those type of games and check out there gameplays on youtube. That's fun in itself.

Once you get into gaming, chances it will hook you right in.

I built myself a nice PC rig, and have played multiple type games but mainly like the RPG's and FPS style games. Playing Fallout 4 now and man, I have never been more hooked on a game.

Keeps me out of bars and clubs biggrin.png

I clocked up 100 hours plus on fallout it was great

The best game last year imo

• 1 year later...

Bump.

I am in a similar position to the op.

Need some advice and guidance also.

Wondering how the op went with his quest.

I will be in BKK and Pattaya in June and would like to buy a console and games.

Would like to play games such as Pacman and Galaga. Not sure if these are available anymore.

Have heard you can buy modded consoles with many games but not sure if can do this in BKK or Pattaya.

Will be in Pattaya in June and will go to Tukcom and look for Xbox360.

Thank you for your help.

Why not just pay a bit more and get a medium gaming pc. And just down load games. I don't even know if they are still making games for the 360 and if they are will probably stop soon.

Archived