Salary Expectations

Regarding living costs above. I think it really depends where you live in LOS. In Bangkok you can rent a really decent fully furnished studio apartment for around 9000 baht per month. Try getting that in the UK! But if you have a family like the person quoted above, you'd need to spend a minimum of 20,000 for renting a house somewhere central. Less if it's further out like Min Buri or Bangna. Condos are poorer vaule than houses when it comes to renting - don;t really know why. Perhaps some feel more secure in a condo setting.

If a family of four, I'd say you would need to spend 5-8000 on utilities,phones, cable, etc..and another 10,000 minimum on food.

A single person can get by on only half that if they eat Thai food every day.

So in total I reckon you need to earn at least 20,000 - 25,000 baht per month if single in BKK and 50-60,000 per month if married. That's just to scrape by. I know other will say you can get by for less..but not in my view. It's much cheaper outside of BKK though and that's why a lot of expats (esp semi-retired) do just that. Hope this helps.

I was speaking to some Thai friends who were saying that a guy (or girl) with a family needs to be earning at least 50k a month to be comfortable. That was from a Thai perspective; I would say you need to be closer to 90-100k to be comfortable from a western perspective. I'd say, take the Thai monthly salary, divide by 3 and you get roughly what an equivalent UK annual salary would be.

So, if you're on 240k a month in BKK, that's like about 80 grand in the UK.

Of course that's taking into account that you have to buy decent schooling and healthcare, which is a pretty 'expat-centric' view. You can also find pretty good family housing for well under 50k/month if you avoid expat areas.

Car prices, of course, are insane - but as a family, you should just buy a pickup or a MU-7. Forget the Benz or BMW!

If you live out in the country, housing is substantially less - everything else is more 'not available' than cheaper!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not an ex-pat package, the position does come with accommodation (paid) and vehicle; There will be a review of the salary/position after 6months, this I have been told will be a candid discussion of my perceptions of the role, my aspirations, my integration into Thai society together with my families adaption and any reviews, salary or otherwise that would be required to enable me to be most effective in my job.

Although not an ex-pat package, the position does come with accommodation (paid) and vehicle; There will be a review of the salary/position after 6months, this I have been told will be a candid discussion of my perceptions of the role, my aspirations, my integration into Thai society together with my families adaption and any reviews, salary or otherwise that would be required to enable me to be most effective in my job.

hmmm...sounds like whomever is offering the position is already interfering in your personal life. If they are local people you are best advised to beware and certainly do not have these 'considerations' included in your contract of employment. If there is a dispute regarding your 'integration into Thai society together with your family's adaptation' you know who is gonna win...

with asian clients/employers I'd never trust them as far as I could throw them...same applies to western employers who are committed to 'keeping the (asian) client happy...'

'nuff said...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

hmmm...sounds like whomever is offering the position is already interfering in your personal life. If they are local people you are best advised to beware and certainly do not have these 'considerations' included in your contract of employment. If there is a dispute regarding your 'integration into Thai society together with your family's adaptation' you know who is gonna win...

with asian clients/employers I'd never trust them as far as I could throw them...same applies to western employers who are committed to 'keeping the (asian) client happy...'

'nuff said...

There is more to it than that. My new Employer is a farang (with a Thai 'sleeping' director) and has been an associate of mine within the industry we are in for many years. We also know each other well on a personal level, so his 'interfering' as you put it is more of a genuine concern and him giving assurance to myself of the support he will (I have no doubt) provide should I need it. He is based in Thailand, has been for a number of years and has business interests in many parts of SE Asia.

As I said he has been an indirect associate previously although us working together will be a first; My role will (amongst other things) encompass new business acquisition so my own efforts will determine any reviews that occur over the coming months. I may be running :o here somewhat - but the point im trying to make is that my own salary expectations initially are not the main issue for me personally - providing I have sufficient funds both coming in and in reserve to start off with, enough for me to be comfortable to provide for my family then my salary expectations will grow as I hope to do within the role I have been taken on to do.

'nuff said...

There is more to it than that. My new Employer is a farang (with a Thai 'sleeping' director) and has been an associate of mine within the industry we are in for many years. We also know each other well on a personal level, so his 'interfering' as you put it is more of a genuine concern and him giving assurance to myself of the support he will (I have no doubt) provide should I need it. He is based in Thailand, has been for a number of years and has business interests in many parts of SE Asia.

As I said he has been an indirect associate previously although us working together will be a first; My role will (amongst other things) encompass new business acquisition so my own efforts will determine any reviews that occur over the coming months. I may be running :o here somewhat - but the point im trying to make is that my own salary expectations initially are not the main issue for me personally - providing I have sufficient funds both coming in and in reserve to start off with, enough for me to be comfortable to provide for my family then my salary expectations will grow as I hope to do within the role I have been taken on to do.

cool...sounds good. My comments reflect my own experiences working in SEA...it's a drag because I love the place and this is where I live and there is plenty of money to be made with a good expat package...but, in my experience the working conditions have been harsh to put it mildly...mostly having to do with local managers who have their 'own way of doing things'...

good luck on your new job...