Phuket charter yacht grounds halfway to Phi Phi

snoop1130

Phuket charter yacht grounds halfway to Phi Phi

The Phuket News

post-249866-0-85752400-1453382254_thumb.

The yacht was found grounded on rocks on Koh Keow, halfway between Phuket and Phi Phi Island, this morning. Photo: Oleg Hudoleev

PHUKET: -- A yacht that drifted offshore from Phi Phi Island yesterday evening (Jan 21) was found washed onto rocks at Koh Keow, halfway between Phuket and Phi Phi Island, this morning.

No people were on board the stricken yacht when it grounded, confirmed Maj Col Seksan Boonlert of the Krabi City Police.

We received a report from the yacht captain at 9pm last night reporting that his yacht was missing, he told The Phuket News today.

He said that no people were on board the boat. He had taken his passengers ashore by longtail at 7pm, and when he returned a couple of hours later, the boat was gone.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-charter-yacht-grounds-halfway-to-phi-phi-55874.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2016-01-21

"Col Seksan did not name the captain or the boat, but did report that the captain said he had chartered the yacht from Phuket-based company Sail Active."

I wonder what marine qualifications this captain has and what insurance the charter comany has.

Anchoring up securely is a serious activity and needs some time and attention. I speak for many years of owning and sailing my own yacht in the distant past.

"Col Seksan did not name the captain or the boat, but did report that the captain said he had chartered the yacht from Phuket-based company Sail Active."

I wonder what marine qualifications this captain has and what insurance the charter comany has.

Anchoring up securely is a serious activity and needs some time and attention. I speak for many years of owning and sailing my own yacht in the distant past.

I agree! I used to do a lot of sailboat racing since a young age. Making sure you have a big enough anchor or two and that they are set well with enough scope on the anchor line is most important.

To quote the article; “At this stage it seems the yacht drifted off anchor from strong winds last night,” he said.

So did he drag anchor or wasn't it tied up properly?

Not even a boom on it as far as I can see in the picture. Probably cannot even sail was motoring every where.

I wish they would have told us if he took the passengers to the same island as the boat ended up on,or drifted completely away and beached on another island.

have to agree with JIMI007 scope and size of anchor. is so important.

Edited by lovelomsak

i also sail. the one thing you have to do is set those anchors properly. two if possible.

it can be a lot of work at the end of the day. depends on conditions.

sailing 101.

wonder if they have moorings for this boat so no anchors?

maybe a cleat gave way. or just not tied off properly.

somebody is pissed off.

Expensive mistake for someone. Probably would have been worth investing in a boat-boy to stay on board on anchor watch. Easy to say after the fact.

In fact even a Burmese slave would have done the job

Edited by tuanku