Bangkok's BTS stations remain inaccessible to disabled, a year after landmark ruling

webfact

Really, do you think the Bangkok Governor gives a damn? Perhaps he feels that himself and the Administration are above the law? whistling.gif

Where is the PM and S44 now? I feel very sorry for the disabled. Their Government is letting them down. Shame on them! Obviously none of them or their families or friends are physically disabled. sad.png

Another example of the local version of "law", one for them and one version for the others. In reality though the disadvantaged disabled people of Bkk have little chance of using the BTS system fully, elevators or not. Have you noticed the height of some kerbstones and the (almost) lack of drop kerbs? Add to that the congested footpaths full of street vendors, motorcycle taxis and rubbish awaiting collection. I think that in reality Bkk will need to do a lot more than two dozen elevators to really be a place for disabled people to get around.

Another example of the local version of "law", one for them and one version for the others. In reality though the disadvantaged disabled people of Bkk have little chance of using the BTS system fully, elevators or not. Have you noticed the height of some kerbstones and the (almost) lack of drop kerbs? Add to that the congested footpaths full of street vendors, motorcycle taxis and rubbish awaiting collection. I think that in reality Bkk will need to do a lot more than two dozen elevators to really be a place for disabled people to get around.

Sadly, yes. Mai pen rai (and money - or the other way around) reigns supreme. Is this true Buddhist beliefs? sad.png

Not only BTS stations, it is all over Thailand.

Disabled people are treated like scum.

The people in power do not care about disabled people, they only care about what is in it for me.

I speak from experience .I am disabled virtually impossible to move around any Thai city in a wheelchair.

I'm all acess for all might start with getting there fat butts up and giving there seats to the old on BTS trains can't tell you how many times I gave up my seat for an older man or woman even a persons with a young child while younger Thai sat fiddling with there cell phones. Hell I'm 64 bad knee's bad back but more of a man than 99% of Thai's I have come across. Half the time I use a cane to aid me. Only time seat I was giving up was refused was by a young monk.

I'm all acess for all might start with getting there fat butts up and giving there seats to the old on BTS trains can't tell you how many times I gave up my seat for an older man or woman even a persons with a young child while younger Thai sat fiddling with there cell phones. Hell I'm 64 bad knee's bad back but more of a man than 99% of Thai's I have come across. Half the time I use a cane to aid me. Only time seat I was giving up was refused was by a young monk.

The elderly get up to let the kids sit down. I won't let them do it with my son, he can stand. Normal here I think.

Hell. I am 10 yrs older than you and only twice in all the times I have travelled on BTS, or MRT has someone offered me a seat. Mind you I do look a lot younger and do not have any readily seen health problems except for a little white hair now. And I must say I would give up my seat only to a pregnant or woman with small child, disabled person or someone I think is older and more in need of than me. But I am truly gob stopped by BMA and Central Government inaction in helping the disabled. It is indeed a money society before compassion sad.png

Hell. I am 10 yrs older than you and only twice in all the times I have travelled on BTS, or MRT has someone offered me a seat. Mind you I do look a lot younger and do not have any readily seen health problems except for a little white hair now. And I must say I would give up my seat only to a pregnant or woman with small child, disabled person or someone I think is older and more in need of than me. But I am truly gob stopped by BMA and Central Government inaction in helping the disabled. It is indeed a money society before compassion sad.png

It is an excellent example. Thais will never get up for a foreigner under any circumstance. They get up for young Thai children - to teach them social debt. They get up for other Thais in certain circumstances almost as if by reflex.

However, they are not thoughtful or considerate. They are just polite and follow rules they have come to obey. It's not like they are actually thinking "wow, that old White man looks very old and tired. I will offer him my seat."

Rather it's "little Thai kid. I am supposed to get up."..

Big difference between polite and conscientious. Thais are the former, not the later.

The elderly get up to let the kids sit down. I won't let them do it with my son, he can stand. Normal here I think.

Still amazes me after all these years. Kids are stronger than us! And with the whole "p" worship here, its more confusing.

Organise a shuttle service for disabled(1) in a wheelchair(2) only, for BTS fare price, until the elevators are built, and working? No loss-of-face immediate solution (can be started at once and stretched until past the next gobernorial elections...)?

It's not just Thailand. I was in Japan once on a train and two very elderly ladies hobbled aboard, easily eighty plus. No-one near the doors got up so myself and my friend gave them our seats. A couple of young guys gave us the long hard stare and didn't appear happy with us. It surprised us a bit as Japanese people are usually very polite, but maybe that doesn't apply on trains.