Lost wallet experiment: Farang tests Thai honesty in hidden camera prank (VIDEO)

webfact

Kon tang chaat.

That is the proper Thai word for foreigner.

When will ignorant people stop perpetuating this xenophobic bigotry with that dismissive gutter term; "farang"?

99% of Thais use this term just as you use probably use slang in your life. Relax and chill out because you want the impossible! It is what it is! China, Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia all use similar slang words for foreigners.

Kon tang chaat.

When will ignorant people stop perpetuating this xenophobic bigotry with that dismissive gutter term; "farang"?

why does this forum use this stupid word. Farang Food, Farang Wives etc. Do people who use this word call themselves orang puteh in Malaysia, or use the local word for foreigners when speaking English in other countries? To me it sounds ridiculous.

The first three years when I worked in Thailand many years ago, no-one used this word.

Lets have a campaign on TV to stop its use!

Sorry, but I have been travelling, living and working in Thailand since 1978 and farang (or falang) was just as common then as it is now!!

Kon tang chaat.

A very very old theme.

The word has become part of the language and will not go away anytime soon. So we might as well accept it and stop getting upset.

However I do wish that it would consistently be capitalised in accordance with English usage, "Farang".

Negro.

Why shouldn't we say that? I mean, it was part of the english language for centuries. So stop getting so upset if someone says negro.

It would be interesting to see an exact same experiment in a Western capital and compare. It was good to see virtually all of the Thais in the clip wanting to return the wallet and (even after intervention and persuasion) some thereafter fighting to do so.

I am a farang, I am a foreigner. What is the difference its just a word. If anything is ridiculous its people getting their nickers in a twist over such trivial things

The term Farang is used a lot on this forum and i fail to understand why. The reason i say this is that it is quite obvious that there are a significant number of posters who (rightly or wrongly) think it either unsuitable or offensive. Think of it as if you were giving a formal talk to 100 people and you said something that upset 1 or 2 people you may not change your approach the next time. However if your comment or choice of wording upset 30, 40 or 50 of the 100 people then i think you would choose not to use the same again on your next talk.

There are plenty of suitable alternatives so why not use them instead?

I am a farang, I am a foreigner. What is the difference its just a word. If anything is ridiculous its people getting their nickers in a twist over such trivial things

The term Farang is used a lot on this forum and i fail to understand why. The reason i say this is that it is quite obvious that there are a significant number of posters who (rightly or wrongly) think it either unsuitable or offensive. Think of it as if you were giving a formal talk to 100 people and you said something that upset 1 or 2 people you may not change your approach the next time. However if your comment or choice of wording upset 30, 40 or 50 of the 100 people then i think you would choose not to use the same again on your next talk.

There are plenty of suitable alternatives so why not use them instead?

So you want self censorship? Do you realize how bizarre talking such a thing would eventually lead to?

People are butthurt for anything and everything nowadays... i see that as a reason to use words like "negro" just to piss them off. Most people that i get entertainment out of while talking like that are too dumb to understand that so i get even more enjoyment of using words like that.