Deadline day for Phuket underpass, B2mn fine a day from now

snoop1130

Deadline day for Phuket underpass, B2mn fine a day from now

Tanyaluk Sakoot

post-249866-0-79705900-1453465438_thumb.

Wiwat Construction Co Ltd will be fined B2 million a day from now as the project is still not complete. Photo: Chalermpon Wongkietkun

PHUKET: -- Today (Jan 22) was the deadline for completion of the Samkong underpass project, and as from tomorrow the contractors will be fined about B2 million per day until complete.

Project Engineer Chalermpon Wongkietkun told The Phuket News, Today is last day of this project contract, and there is no reason to postpone the final contract date anymore.

If Wiwat Construction Co Ltd continues with the project they will be fined just over B2 million a day starting from tomorrow, he said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/deadline-day-for-phuket-underpass-b2mn-fine-a-day-from-now-55895.php

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2016-01-22

It is usual to call these charges liquidated damages (rather than fines) and the amount is written into the contract. There are usually clauses in the contract to enable an extension of time, but in this case none of these may apply.

If they don't continue with the project there is likely to be much greater penalty ie being sued for failure to complete the contract and subsequent costs including the abovementioned 'fines' and mobilisation of a new contractor, an expensive business.

Probably not a good move.

I really hope this will not motivate the contractor to cut corners, compromising the safety of the workers and the integrity of the tunnel.

This same company is responsible for the works along the side of the road from Lotus towards Central where nothing has been done for well over a year. I don't think they give a toss about safety.

Drove by that construction site yesterday twice and had a good look because as usual traffic barely crawling by the several choke points. Bare dirt in the drivepath of the tunnel and approaches, nowhere near finished. Guessing at least another two-three month, maybe more.

Probably not a good move.

I really hope this will not motivate the contractor to cut corners, compromising the safety of the workers and the integrity of the tunnel.

This same company is responsible for the works along the side of the road from Lotus towards Central where nothing has been done for well over a year. I don't think they give a toss about safety.

false they had 2 person walking about the holes and thinking about what to do about 2weeks ago

They seemed like they had a plan, then a few days later they started destroying the uturn in front of the hospital and putting fresh earth in between the two roads

That was crucial work for the drains

Wiwat Construction would have good contacts within the Phuket admin......they would not have been awarded the project otherwise.

IMO, the LD fees for this job most likely, will not be paid.......and this whole excercise is a PR stunt....or if they are paid or retained, the money will be shared at the project end...!

Edited by ChrisY1

"... but if they stop their work and do not take responsibility, they will be blacklisted. This will have serious consequences for the company as they will then not be able to bid for any government projects..."

I would think that being blacklisted might be the least of their worries.

In the event that they're not blacklisted, why on earth would they be awarded any future contracts given their performance on this one???? Doesn't past performance come into consideration when evaluating bids for new projects?

My guess is that the company execs are trying to work out how to claim force majeure, take the money received so far and run, and/or reorganize the company under a different name and continue on with no penalty.

Edited by DrDave

<snip>

In the event that they're not blacklisted, why on earth would they be awarded any future contracts given their performance on this one???? Doesn't past performance come into consideration when evaluating bids for new projects?

Exactly - past performance at sharing out the back-handers and how big a percentage.

yeah but that one is useless as most of the traffic is from the next intersection after boat lagoon. As seen by having no stop light for people coming from the north and them still finding a way to queue up behind, literally nothing but slow moving cars that are going slow just for the fun of it.

yeah but that one is useless as most of the traffic is from the next intersection after boat lagoon. As seen by having no stop light for people coming from the north and them still finding a way to queue up behind, literally nothing but slow moving cars that are going slow just for the fun of it.

I find your post a bit confusing, are you talking about the present traffic situation or the progress on the underpass, as I mentioned.

If the present traffic situation, not bad at all, but it is not bad at all also on the Tesco intersection.

On a positive note, work on the underpass at the Samkong intersection, by a different contractor, seems to be going very, very well.

Do you mean they changed contractors just before it was due to be completed. If so how can they be liable for 2 mill per day?

On a positive note, work on the underpass at the Samkong intersection, by a different contractor, seems to be going very, very well.

Do you mean they changed contractors just before it was due to be completed. If so how can they be liable for 2 mill per day?

No, I mean exactly what I'm saying. Work on the Samkong intersection seems to be going very well. That underpass is being constructed by a different contractor than the one doing the Tesco intersection.

No, I mean exactly what I'm saying. Work on the Samkong intersection seems to be going very well. That underpass is being constructed by a different contractor than the one doing the Tesco intersection.

I thought the Tesco and Samkong intersections were one and the same.

I believe the one at Toyota is called something else.

Exactly - Tesco is located at the corner of the Samkong Intersection, ie. the end of Samkong Road .

I think the one steven is talking about is the end of bypass intersection.

Exactly - Tesco is located at the corner of the Samkong Intersection, ie. the end of Samkong Road .

I think the one steven is talking about is the end of bypass intersection.

Yes, that's what I mean. I call that the Samkong intersection since just before that intersection there is a sign saying you're in Samkong now. The Tesco one is also at the end of the Bypass Road, so I thought mentioning Bypass would not be helpful smile.png, but sorry if it was confusing.

Still the work on that intersection, I guess now you know which one I'm talking about, seems to be going very well.

Edited by stevenl

Yes, that's what I mean. I call that the Samkong intersection since just before that intersection there is a sign saying you're in Samkong now. The Tesco one is also at the end of the Bypass Road, so I thought mentioning Bypass would not be helpful smile.png, but sorry if it was confusing.

Still the work on that intersection, I guess now you know which one I'm talking about, seems to be going very well.

Sorry to be pedantic steven. Tesco is not at the end of the bypass road. End of bypass is a the Royal Marina/Boat Lagoon.

Tesco is a the Samkong Intersection and there is a big road sign stating that.

The contractor at Samkong Intersection underpass (being discussed in this delay news report) is different from the contractor at the bypass road end (I believe is Italian-Thai Company) ...

Edited by LivinginKata

Sorry to be pedantic steven. Tesco is not at the end of the bypass road. End of bypass is a the Royal Marina/Boat Lagoon.

Tesco is a the Samkong Intersection and there is a big road sign stating that.

The contractor at Samkong Intersection underpass (being discussed in this delay news report) is different from the contractor at the bypass road end (I believe is Italian-Thai Company) ...

Sorry to be pedantic, but it depends where you start your trip where the end of a road is.

Yes, I know it is a different contractor, which is why I mentioned many times 'different contractor' from the one at Tesco.

No it's not.

The bypass road runs from Central festival to the T-junction where it meets Thepkrassatri road.

Nothing to do with where you start a trip........or end it.

Maybe to you, to others it will start at the T-junction.

But now it has been made clear quite a few posts ago already which underpasses were meant, can we get back on the topic of Phuket underpasses again?

Edited by stevenl

Which T-junction? The one I described?

Clearly steven is not going to conceed the obvious truth that the bypass ends at the t-junction and not at Tesco.

I guess for him his jouney on the bypass ends at Tesco and we all must agree with him ...

I am out of here ..

//correction to name

Edited by LivinginKata