US embassy recommendation letter

It's called a certificate of residence. You can get it from your home country embassy immediately. You can also get it from Thai immigration if you have done at least one 90 day address report and then you usually have to wait around 2 weeks for immigration to mail it to you...they charge around Bt200. Someone on a 30 day entry stamp or tourist visa would not be doing address reports.

It's called a certificate of residence. You can get it from your home country embassy immediately. You can also get it from Thai immigration if you have done at least one 90 day address report and then you usually have to wait around 2 weeks for immigration to mail it to you...they charge around Bt200. Someone on a 30 day entry stamp or tourist visa would not be doing address reports.

I agree that the residence cert is probably what the person he talked to was referring to.

The other info must be specific to where you are. In Pattaya there is no requirement for a 90 day report to get a residence certificate and you get it while you wait.

Also, not all banks will require this. If you go to five branches of five different banks you'll get 25 different answers on what's required for a farang to open an account

A few branches of Kasikorn bank asked for work permit.

Some Bangkok bank branches referred me to the main branch at Silom. At main branch I was given a sheet of paper that indicated the only ways that I can open a savings account by.

Work permit, a recommendation letter from acceptable bank from home country or "recommendation letter" from embassy.

A few branches of Kasikorn bank asked for work permit.

Some Bangkok bank branches referred me to the main branch at Silom. At main branch I was given a sheet of paper that indicated the only ways that I can open a savings account by.

Work permit, a recommendation letter from acceptable bank from home country or "recommendation letter" from embassy.

Something was lost in translation, it is a Certificate of Residence, as others have stated, and is issued by your Embassy and is not a letter of recommendation

Keep going to Bangkok Bank branches and eventually you will find one that understands that neither a work permit or a Certificate of Residence is required to open a Bangkok Bank account