Do I fix this or does the landlord?

In theory ...the land lord should pay as it is considered their property while you did not break it rather it is simply the usual operational wear and tear.

However, do not be surprised if your particular land lord thinks that you should pay and then adamantly argues you should pay.

You will find out if your land lord is small minded or just how much they are small minded or not about such matters.

Myself....I am fortunate and have the worlds best land lord...ever........an Angel if ever there was.

Cheers

I have the same situation. just called my landlady thru her agent, who said replace it, and deduct it from my rent. The same happend with my Bahttub and cooking plate who needed replacements. I was allowed to buy an Ceramic plate of my Choice (Electrolux of 29 000 Baht)

So its alle depend on your landlord or lady. Originaly I signed a 5 year rental contract. After it exprired I asked her, if she liked that I renewed the contract, so we invited her to lunch to discus the new rental. That took about 3 minutes. She simply said that between friends there was no need for contracts, but if I woold like one, I could make one and she would signed it. So I let it be.

We stay here for 7 years now, and still pay the the same rent, but I pay my rent always 2 weeks before due time, keep the place clean and live in harmony with my neighbours and condo managment.because I thinks that benefits me. Owners like tlo keep tennants like that.

Our condo is 85m²,European style Kitchen and Bathroom, with use of swimmlingpool and Tenniscourts. Rental price 13 495 Baht , include Security, water and maintenance fee,

My land lord is also a very pleasant person.

Kind of renews your faith in Thai people as we tend to mumble and grumble a lot about Thai people in general and their greed for money.

People like my land lord and yours, more or less dispel that myth about Thai people always trying to gouge the foreigners if and when they can.

Mind you....you do hear of some real horror stories and the land lords from hell and if it happens to you then the average person could become jaded in general.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

I can't believe, after 32 replies, not one person said "ASK THE LANDLORD." how hard can it be. This is Thailand, not everyone gets a "rental" contract, and let's face it, in many cases they are not worth the paper they are written on, you take a big risk upsetting anyone here.

I have the same situation. just called my landlady thru her agent, who said replace it, and deduct it from my rent. The same happend with my Bahttub and cooking plate who needed replacements. I was allowed to buy an Ceramic plate of my Choice (Electrolux of 29 000 Baht)

So its alle depend on your landlord or lady. Originaly I signed a 5 year rental contract. After it exprired I asked her, if she liked that I renewed the contract, so we invited her to lunch to discus the new rental. That took about 3 minutes. She simply said that between friends there was no need for contracts, but if I woold like one, I could make one and she would signed it. So I let it be.

We stay here for 7 years now, and still pay the the same rent, but I pay my rent always 2 weeks before due time, keep the place clean and live in harmony with my neighbours and condo managment.because I thinks that benefits me. Owners like tlo keep tennants like that.

Our condo is 85m²,European style Kitchen and Bathroom, with use of swimmlingpool and Tenniscourts. Rental price 13 495 Baht , include Security, water and maintenance fee,

Kind of renews your faith in Thai people as we tend to mumble and grumble a lot about Thai people in general and their greed for money.

People like my land lord and yours, more or less dispel that myth about Thai people always trying to gouge the foreigners if and when they can.

Mind you....you do hear of some real horror stories and the land lords from hell and if it happens to you then the average person could become jaded in general.

Cheers

I will also add, they are also tenants from hell, not all tenants of course, just a few.

I rented out a luxury large house on Jomtien beach for about 5 years, every tenant was a farang, several were expats working for large companies around the Map Ta Phut / Rayong area.

Overall nearly half of the tenants would fit into the high maintenance or tenants from hell categories. Two tenants did serious damage to the house.

I tried to be 'mr nice guy landlord', ensure everything in the house was working properly, some painting etc., before each tenant moved in, and I reacted very quickly to any problems, breakdowns, etc., all fixed very quickly and properly.

But overall I made no money whatever.

Cheers

I will also add, they are also tenants from hell, not all tenants of course, just a few.

I rented out a luxury large house on Jomtien beach for about 5 years, every tenant was a farang, several were expats working for large companies around the Map Ta Phut / Rayong area.

Overall nearly half of the tenants would fit into the high maintenance or tenants from hell categories. Two tenants did serious damage to the house.

I tried to be 'mr nice guy landlord', ensure everything in the house was working properly, some painting etc., before each tenant moved in, and I reacted very quickly to any problems, breakdowns, etc., all fixed very quickly and properly.

But overall I made no money whatever.

Absolutely ....that is why most civilized countries...lol ...have laws that protect the landlords and protect the tenants...and they are more or less enforced correctly.

But Thailand...well who knows what will happen.

Cheers

unless you went about pocking at it for some reason, Landlord pays.

It's part of the condo that is subject to wear and tear but not directly in any way. I mean you simply press the on button and it does its thing. I can't see how a tenant could be liable for this

What if I or you as a tenant move in and after a month or 2 it stops working or the compressor dies??

Landlord pays!!

Would you mind telling me where you are renting this unit? Must be the cheapest in Thailand!

Would you mind telling me where you are renting this unit? Must be the cheapest in Thailand!

Muang Thong Thang. And indeed is the most scheap area to rent in Thailand, and very pleasant to live, an 99,99 Thai community from office workers in 25M2 hongs to 115M2 apoarments and 100 million mansions. MTT is privat owned by Bangkok Land, who build there own roads, ownn security systems, own traffic control with own traffic lights whobare controled by their own staff. So no BIB here 555.About 100 000 people live here.

Only disadvanged, no BTS or MRT.