Official: At least 2 dead in Saskatchewan school shooting

rooster59

Official: At least 2 dead in Saskatchewan school shooting

ROB GILLIES, Associated Press

TORONTO (AP) — A shooting at a school in an aboriginal community in northern Saskatchewan left at least two people dead on Friday, a government official said.

The official, who received reports from the scene, spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The grade 7 through 12 La Loche Community School in the community of La Loche is in lockdown.

Brad Wall, the premier of the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, confirmed the shooting at the aboriginal community in the province. He said there were victims but did not say how many and did not release any other details.

"Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche. My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims, their families and friends and all the people of the community," Wall said in a statement.

The school's Facebook page said it will remain on lockdown until the Royal Canadian Police resolve the matter. It is asking the public to stay away.

The area's representative in parliament, who attended the same school, was setting up a constituency office in the community when the shooting occurred.

"We're fairly shaken up. It's a sad day," said Georgina Jolibois, who was mayor of La Loche until she was elected to parliament last fall. "My own nieces and nephews were inside the school."

Jolibois said she went to the school and spoke with some of her family members, who were unharmed. She wouldn't reveal details of the shooting, saying she preferred police to release the information.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-23

4 dead after shootings in northern Saskatchewan

TORONTO (AP) — A gunman opened fire at a high school and a second location in an aboriginal community in northern Saskatchewan on Friday, leaving four dead and at least two injured, officials said.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said from Davos, Switzerland that a suspect was in custody. Trudeau initially said five died, but police later corrected that to four.

"This is every parent's worst nightmare," he said. "The community is reeling."

Kevin Janvier told The Associated Press that his 23-year old daughter Marie, a teacher, was shot dead by the gunman. He said police told him that the gunman first shot two of his siblings before killing his daughter.

"He shot two of his brothers at his home and made his way to the school," he said.

"I'm just so sad."

Marie was Janvier's only child. He said he didn't know if the shooter knew his daughter.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Chief Supt. Maureen Levy said the gunman was arrested outside the school but declined to release details about him.

Levy said she wasn't sure how many suffered injuries. The prime minister earlier described two injuries as critical.

"At the present time there are four individuals deceased," Levy said.

Levy declined to release more details, saying the investigation is in its early stages. She declined to give the sex or ages of the deceased.

A student who was just returning from lunch when shots were fired said his friends ran past him urging him to get out.

"'Run, bro, run!" Noel Desjarlais-Thomas, 16, recalled his friends saying to him as they fled La Loche's junior and senior high school.

"There's a shotgun! There's a shotgun! They were just yelling to me. And then I was hearing those shots, too, so of course I started running."

Shootings at schools or on university campuses are rare in Canada. However, the country's bloodiest shooting occurred Dec. 6, 1989 at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique, when Marc Lepine entered a college classroom at the engineering school, separated the men from the women, told the men to leave and opened fire, killing 14 women before killing himself.

The grade 7 through 12 La Loche Community School is in the remote Dene aboriginal community of La Loche, Saskatchewan. The school's Facebook page said it would remain on lockdown until the Royal Canadian Police resolve the matter. It asked the public to stay away.

It was unclear how many died at the school.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall earlier confirmed the shooting.

"Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche. My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims, their families and friends and all the people of the community," he said in a statement.

U.S. Ambassador to Canada Bruce Heyman offered his condolences in a statement and noted the problem of school shootings in America.

"We have experienced similar tragedies far too often in the United States and understand all too well the heartache and sadness that result from such a horrific event," Heyman said.

The area's representative in parliament, who attended the same school, was setting up a constituency office in the community when the shooting occurred.

"We're fairly shaken up. It's a sad day," said Georgina Jolibois, who was mayor of La Loche until she was elected to Parliament last fall. "My own nieces and nephews were inside the school."

Jolibois said she went to the school and spoke with some of her family members, who were unharmed.

Bobby Cameron, Chief of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations, said it was the worst tragedy to ever hit the community. The Dene are an aboriginal group who inhabit the northern parts of Canada.

"It's not something you ever imagine happening here. The whole community, province and country has been affected and we will all go into mourning," said Cameron, who attended graduations at the school for the past few years. "Right now we're just in a state of shock and disbelief."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-23

Those Canadians really should have strict gun controls like they have in Europe and California, which would prevent these massacres...oh wait, they already do.

Only need one man and one gun to kill. How can you control That ???

An achingly unintelligent/uninformed comment.

Canada. Not as achingly boring as a lot of people think after all.

29 Posts ! Don't waste your time on this troll. Hope I see him one day, to punch him in the face.

Bark: He is not worth the skin on your knuckles, my fiend; Karma surely will get him ! ! !

RIP to all those killed by this Mad-Man and strength to their Family, Friends & Loved-Ones.

I still LOVE Canada; it's one of the greatest countries in the world (I know; I spent 15 years there).

402.gif402.gif402.gif402.gif

Nothing new, I am not trying to be prejudice, but I live in a small northern ontario community.

we have the highest homicide rate per capita in canada, it is 95 percent native on native.

and our crime rate is a extremely high rate by the native community.

I see this on a daily basis

Those Canadians really should have strict gun controls like they have in Europe and California, which would prevent these massacres...oh wait, they already do.

Gun ownership is quite high in rural areas of our prairie provinces. Mostly rifles and shotguns however. As soon as I saw the title, I knew we weren't taking about an assault rifle with a high capacity magazine. And it was no surprise that the number of dead (2 in each of two locations) does not compare to what you regularly see in US mass shootings. I would say this is evidence that gun control works... it cannot completely eliminate these tragedies, but it makes them much less devastating.

Gun ownership is quite high in rural areas of our prairie provinces. Mostly rifles and shotguns however. As soon as I saw the title, I knew we weren't taking about an assault rifle with a high capacity magazine. And it was no surprise that the number of dead (2 in each of two locations) does not compare to what you regularly see in US mass shootings. I would say this is evidence that gun control works... it cannot completely eliminate these tragedies, but it makes them much less devastating.

On average, the US has less than 100 people killed in mass shooting events annually. Considering the fact that the population is more than 10x Canada's, with these 4 deaths, you're already well on the way, on a per capita basis, to matching the USA's numbers...and it's only January.

On average, the US has less than 100 people killed in mass shooting events annually. Considering the fact that the population is more than 10x Canada's, with these 4 deaths, you're already well on the way, on a per capita basis, to matching the USA's numbers...and it's only January.

According to wikipedia the deathrate by guns minus unintentional and suicide/100,000 in Canada is .47 and in the U.S.A is 3.39. That is a rate 721% higher than Canada. Nice try Mr. Heston.

Police charge 17-year old in Canada after 4 shot dead

TORONTO (AP) — Police on Saturday charged a 17-year-old boy with four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder in a mass shooting at a school and home in a remote aboriginal community in western Canada, officials said.

Police said the male suspect can't be named under Canada's Youth Criminal Justice Act. Royal Canadian Mounted Police Supt. Grant St. Germaine said nine people were shot in the school, including a female teacher's aide who died at the scene and a male teacher who died in a hospital. He said seven people wounded in Friday's shooting at the school are hospitalized.

Police said two brothers, 17-year-old Dayne Fountaine and 13-year-old Drayden, were shot dead in a home before the gunman headed to the grade 7-12 La Loche Community School. Police responded to a call of shots fired at the school shortly after the lunch hour.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commanding Officer Brenda Butterworth-Carr said when officers arrived at the school they saw the front door had been shot open. They entered the school, spotted the suspect and gave chase before apprehending him. He is due in court next week.

Police said they were not aware of a motive and declined to say what type of gun was used.

The school is in the remote Dene aboriginal community of La Loche in Saskatchewan Province. La Loche is a community of less than 3,000 where just about everybody knows everybody else.

"This is a significant event for Canada," St. Germaine said. "It's a huge impact on the community of La Loche. It's a part of changing times. We are seeing more violence."

Residents lit candles and placed flowers at a makeshift memorial outside the school.

Shootings at schools or on university campuses are rare in Canada. However, the country's bloodiest mass shooting occurred on Dec. 6, 1989, at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique, when Marc Lepine entered a college classroom at the engineering school, separated the men from the women, told the men to leave and opened fire, killing 14 women before killing himself.

The educational assistant killed at the Saskatchewan school was identified as 21-year-old Marie Janvier. Deegan Park, her boyfriend of three years, said he would have given up the rest of his life just to spend another year with her.

"I grew up not a good guy, but she turned me right," Park told The Associated Press. "She was that much of a great person to turn me right from all the wrongdoings I used to do. ... She was a fantastic person."

"I loved her, I really did," said Park, who remembered her smile and how she would blush when she was happy.

Kevin Janvier said his daughter was an only child. "I'm just so sad," he said.

Ashton Lemaigre, a teacher at the school and friend of Marie Janvier, said she worked as a teacher's aide in his classroom. He said she was kind and patient with children and planned to get her teaching degree someday.

"The kids loved having her around," Lemaigre said. "They would just come running to her. And she was just a friend to everybody."

A second victim was identified as 35-year-old Adam Wood, a new teacher at the school. His family in Ontario issued a statement describing him as an adventurer with a passion for life who made people laugh until their stomachs hurt.

"Adam had just begun his teaching career in La Loche last September and was enjoying his time," his family said. "He was always up for a good challenge and lived each day joyously."

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was attending the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, called it "every parent's worst nightmare."

A student who was just returning from lunch when the shots were fired Friday said his friends ran past him urging him to get out.

"'Run, bro, run!" Noel Desjarlais-Thomas, 16, recalled his friends saying to him as they fled La Loche's junior and senior high school. "There's a shotgun! There's a shotgun! They were just yelling to me. And then I was hearing those shots too, so of course I started running."

The RCMP said the first reports of shots being fired at the school came in around 1 p.m. Friday, and parents and residents were warned to stay away. Witnesses said some students hid in gym dressing rooms for hours. A nearby elementary school was also placed on lockdown as a precaution.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall said he is in a state of disbelief. He planned to visit La Loche on Sunday and promised to provide crisis support and counseling services. La Loche, like a number of aboriginal communities in Canada's prairie provinces, has been plagued by high suicide rates and poverty.

Wall added that U.S. Ambassador to Canada Bruce Heyman had offered the counsel of U.S. communities which have experienced school shootings.

"He noted that quite tragically the United States has more experience with the likes of what we saw in La Loche," Wall said.

Bobby Cameron, Chief of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations, said the shooting Friday was the worst tragedy to ever hit the community of 3,000. The Dene are an aboriginal group who inhabit the northern parts of Canada.

"It's not something you ever imagine happening here. The whole community, province and country has been affected and we will all go into mourning," said Cameron, who attended the La Loche school's graduation ceremony for the past few years. "Right now we're just in a state of shock and disbelief."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-24

According to wikipedia the deathrate by guns minus unintentional and suicide/100,000 in Canada is .47 and in the U.S.A is 3.39. That is a rate 721% higher than Canada. Nice try Mr. Heston.

Wikipedia...LMFAA...did you cite them in your college papers too...explains allot. ?

Hard to believe something like this would happen in a small community in my home province! sad.png

Why? Aren't you aware of the high rate of suicide amongst aboriginal teens? This community has the highest suicide rate in the province and a major problem with domestic abuse. It's 100% Dene and everyone has a gun or two.

BTW 4 dead and 7 injured.

"Bobby Cameron, Chief of the Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations, said the shooting Friday was the worst tragedy to ever hit the community of 3,000. The Dene are an aboriginal group who inhabit the northern parts of Canada."

​Alcoholism, domestic violence, prostitution and now shooting at school.

Hard to believe something like this would happen in a small community in my home province! sad.png

Why? Aren't you aware of the high rate of suicide amongst aboriginal teens? This community has the highest suicide rate in the province and a major problem with domestic abuse. It's 100% Dene and everyone has a gun or two.

BTW 4 dead and 7 injured.

Perhaps I should have said I am "saddened", instead of saying it is hard to believe. I am actually well-aware of the problems in these communities (having had family members and friends who have taught and volunteered in many of the isolated areas), and having worked in Saskatchewan myself (in health care) for numerous years. Tragic, nonetheless.

Condolences to all those affected. Our northern neighbours with their funny accents don't deserve this.

We get these problems north of your border, but not as much and not as many die. Handguns are illegal in Canada.

It's sad none the less regardless of the tool used to commit the murders. The fact that members of society were ripped away by some unhinged person is enough; that it was minority on minority violence should be cause for an examination as to the root cause to try and prevent future occurances.

If this guy had access to an assault rifle (instead of just a shotgun) like he would have had in the US then a lot more than 4 people would likely be dead.

I praise the gun control laws in Canada.

Another kid just threw his life away. Rip for the victims. On the other hand even if do have strict gun control maybe the EU should allow registered guns due to violence that happening there with the mass immagrtion. One of first things Hitler did was remove all the guns. For all the problems in the US they can a least defend themselves.

If this guy had access to an assault rifle (instead of just a shotgun) like he would have had in the US then a lot more than 4 people would likely be dead.

And if one or more of the victims had been allowed to own a handgun for personal protection they might all be alive today. However, it's pure speculation on both our parts.

And if one or more of the victims had been allowed to own a handgun for personal protection they might all be alive today. However, it's pure speculation on both our parts.

Yep, because we all want students to be armed while in class. I can only assume your NRA membership is fully up to date.

P.s. Just curious ... How often have mass shootings in the US been stopped by a civilian with a gun?

Hope you don't mind a dose of reality. There have been been over 700 gun deaths this year in your country. You're way ahead. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

This is another tragedy and I feel so sorry for the 4 people who were killed.

I feel very sorry for the teachers who were killed and who were up in the north to educate the

students. These teachers being young and likely pretty new to the area and the school sure did

not deserve to die in this manner. The shooter being 17 years old, makes me wonder if he will get

tried for this murders in adult court, or juvenile court. For this horrible crime I do hope the killer

gets sentenced as an Adult, as in Canada, it is bad enough that we do not have the death penalty any

more, but Adult age being considered over 18 is not fair at all, especially in cases like this.

Just my opinion of course and I am a Geezer.

Wikipedia...LMFAA...did you cite them in your college papers too...explains allot. ?

Tell us all exactly what it explains. Are you disputing the facts? Maybe you can find some others from a more reputable site and post the link. I will wait for another of your enlightening posts.

Hope you don't mind a dose of reality. There have been been over 700 gun deaths this year in your country. You're way ahead. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

There is a big difference between "gun deaths" and "mass shooting events." Please calm down and stop clutching your pearls.