True cost of tiger #selfie: Report accuses Tiger Temple of trafficking animals

rooster59

True cost of tiger #selfie: Report accuses Tiger Temple of trafficking animals

tiger_10.jpg

BANGKOK: A National Geographic investigation has uncovered evidence that the famous Tiger Temple is trafficking the beautiful animals.

The report says investigators believe a group of animal traffickers colluded with the Kanchanaburi temple, formerly known as Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno, to illegally take unregistered tigers to and from the temple since at least 2004.

But they botched a heist in December 2014 when they accidentally took three microchipped, registered tigers instead of unregistered ones, Nat Geo says.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/22/true-cost-tiger-selfie-report-accuses-tiger-temple-trafficking-animals

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-23

I have been there 2 weeks ago. What a nasty place. 600baht entrance fee ( foreigner price, even with Visa and WP). This place stinks like shit everywhere because hogs and deers are walking freely around the compound and shitting everywhere. No one seems to clean this place. After walking literally through shit around 15 minutes you reach the Tiger canyon. If you think this place is runned by monks will be surprised that their is a lot of foreign western staff. You have to wait around 20 minutes to come near the Tigers. I skipped that and quickly turned back and walked again 15 minutes back through shit and were happy leave this place......

This is an absolute tourist trap. You can see the shiny BMW's and Benz of the owners in the car park who made their fortune with this Animal Prison. PLEASE DON'T GO THERE!

Edited by SoFarAndNear

The authorities failed to ship out some 100 tigers this week, maybe Cee4Life will be able to make these allegations stick, but at the moment the place is still the "teflon temple"

Check out the report here.....

http://www.cee4life.org/tiger-temple-report/

Edited by cumgranosalum

Didn't I read a week ago that those tigers would start to be relocated yesterday? Yet, no news of this starting to happen. The last time the gov swore to remove them something happened also that made them change their minds and leave the tigers there. If they have real proof then why aren't criminal charges being brought against those who participated in every aspect of this?

National geographic would never put themselves at risk exposing this unless their is truth to it.

Didn't I read a week ago that those tigers would start to be relocated yesterday? Yet, no news of this starting to happen. The last time the gov swore to remove them something happened also that made them change their minds and leave the tigers there. If they have real proof then why aren't criminal charges being brought against those who participated in every aspect of this?

National geographic would never put themselves at risk exposing this unless their is truth to it.

It is all over the news - the abbot wriggled out of it again, claiming he needed to inspect the new premises.....why this is relevant seeing as he patently can't look after them himself is beyond me.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/tiger-temple-refuses-to-release-tigers-again/

Edited by cumgranosalum

Thais authorities or Thais don't care about human rights so they really don't thing about animal rights ,

I went to the temple once before and a few other attractions in Thailand like this and I will never go back no support from me .

To me a tiger is not a domestic animal how do you keep that many tigers so quiet with so many people I asked my self , something not good here

Love it when people are so-called disgusted but still bothered to visit the place... whistling.gif

I've always firmly refused to go, I don't need to see it first (and pay 500thb!) to conclude it's a sham(e)...

Sometimes it is useful to go there - especially if you are forewarned and for-armed.

however I took my camera and got some useful photos including one of the abbot poking a tiger in the balls with a stick.

What I find so worrying is people who go there for a few hours and come away thinking they are in a position to make a judgement on the place.

It takes a lot of research and reading to even begin understand the various issues surrounding the place.

Edited by cumgranosalum

"A National Geographic investigation has uncovered evidence that the famous Tiger Temple is trafficking the beautiful animals."

Busted.

National Geographic is a world wide renowned and respected organisation.

This time the truth can't be swept out of sight.

Shut it down and gaol those responsible for trafficking.

Edited by Bluespunk

one of the things you can't get off the net is first hand experience of how the place presents the animals. The whole thing is very akin to a Barnum Circus show - the "volunteers" are trained to whip up the public interest with claims of how dangerous this is but then leaves you thinking how "courageous" you have been to get near these animals -there is also the plethora of questionable advices on safety........the aim is to thrill rather than protect.

Visited the place twice - once about 12 years go - this aroused my suspicions and then again about 6 years ago - it was good to see first hand how they work the public and operate the scam.

At one point during my second visit a foal accidentally ran off from it's carer and headed towards the tigers chained to the ground...they immediately sensed this movement and about a dozen or so tigers immediately turned toward th foal and adopted a low 'stalking stance". THey turned from a group of placid "drugged" creatures to a group of apex predators in Seconds, you could see that their handlers were very concerned. the foal was quickly removed and the situation dissipated. It could so easily have degenerated into a blood bath.

I was standing back away from the tigers so could see clearly what was going on, most of the other tourists were till petting other tigers and had little or no idea of what was going on.

"A National Geographic investigation has uncovered evidence that the famous Tiger Temple is trafficking the beautiful animals."

Busted.

They have handed a copy to the Thai authorities too, but remember this is the "teflon temple".....

Remember they have already been found in illegal possession of endangered species, birds, some forest dogs and the Moon Bears.....but nothing ever seems to stick.

Edited by cumgranosalum

This temple is becoming like the jet ski scam. A scam that is

widely known but nothing is done because serious money is

reaching government officials.... A truly sad part of Thailand.

Reports of the " monks" trafficking tigers was published years

ago, yet the trafficking continues onward. Hard to stop a river of money.

Another great example is the gem scam. The national shame

of Thailand that has gone on for many years..

When the accusation comes from National Geographic I take it seriously. That organization is not known for saying anything without proof to support them. The people involved need to locked up and the key thrown away and the place shut down permanently.

When the accusation comes from National Geographic I take it seriously. That organization is not known for saying anything without proof to support them. The people involved need to locked up and the key thrown away and the place shut down permanently.

This report originates from CEE4Life - Sibyl Foxcroft

Several years ago Nat Geo also published the Care for the Wild report which outlined the complaints against the temple.

http://www.careforthewild.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tigertemplereport08_final_v11.pdf

Busted.

Thai Official:

National Geographic was invented in Thailand, together with the Tour de France.

The orange mafia, teflon coated too. What I really don't understand is why the 'authorities' give a public pronouncement before they are going to do 'something'. Surely it couldn't have anything to do with the time needed to assemble packed brown envelopes.

Love it when people are so-called disgusted but still bothered to visit the place... whistling.gif

I've always firmly refused to go, I don't need to see it first (and pay 500thb!) to conclude it's a sham(e)...

Sometimes it is useful to go there - especially if you are forewarned and for-armed.

however I took my camera and got some useful photos including one of the abbot poking a tiger in the balls with a stick.

What I find so worrying is people who go there for a few hours and come away thinking they are in a position to make a judgement on the place.

It takes a lot of research and reading to even begin understand the various issues surrounding the place.

I don't see how it is useful to pay 600 bath to help support these scumbags unless you were from national geo and were writing this report.

Maybe you should also buy some ivory, shark fin soup, and a gorilla hand ashtray just so you know what you are talking about??

I don't need to go buy a black market kidney or baby to know it's wrong!!!

The only thing these abbots worship is the Baht.

Place should of been shut long ago but money & connections kept doors open.

Plenty of evidence on illegal animal trading & holding illegal & unregistered animals but money is king so the show goes on ...

Last raid & closure attempt on the place turned into usual u-turn farce :-/

I don't see how it is useful to pay 600 bath to help support these scumbags unless you were from national geo and were writing this report.

Maybe you should also buy some ivory, shark fin soup, and a gorilla hand ashtray just so you know what you are talking about??

I don't need to go buy a black market kidney or baby to know it's wrong!!!

Ok - you don't see, although I've given you a clue.

I have campaigned over the issues surrounding the temple for over 10 years and have a good knowledge of the issues involved.

It appears to me that your hold on the situation is somewhat tenuous to say the least, perhaps if you were interested you'd spend some time getting to know what they all involve, and even visit the place.........you might learn or conform a few things....and your attempt at a false dichotomy is just risible.

Edited by cumgranosalum

My wife and I went there in 2012 at my wife's urging. She did all the tourist stuff, photos, washing and playing in the ponds. I stood guard on top of the wall taking photographic evidence. Haven't looked too many tigers in the eye before but didn't see anything to suggest drugging. On the contrary, one chap on the way out of the pit stepped away with his back to a tiger and it quickly started a move on him but the young girl handlers got him under control and reprimanded the tourist. I believe all the tigers that are in contact with the public are under 2 years of age.

Needless to say, one visit for a few hours doesn't give me any idea what happens after hours and long term but have followed the reports in Thai visa and am surprised the educated (?) comments on all subjects. I would certainly give National Geographic some credibility but unfortunately most journalist subscribe to the 'Don't let a few facts get in the way off a good story' theory . I've worked on a few farms so if you want to see shit, visit a dairy farm. The punch does look a bit odd but the tiger appears neither distressed nor disturbed.

I didn't particualy like the bear cage.