Buying a new car - list prices how sticky are they?

turgid

I've been looking to buy a new car. Originally I was looking at something low profile and sporty as befits my sad mid-life status but having driving a few rental cars over the last 12 months, broken two wheels on pot holes and nearly been crushed by coaches that couldn’t see me I’ve decided to go for an SUV crossover. The two cars I’m looking at are the Honda HRV and CRV. I'm not looking for advice on the cars themselves but am interested in understanding people’s experiences with buying a new car.

I'll be paying cash because I want it in my name.

The HRV is a brand new model; it has a lead time of 6-7 months currently depending on colour. I've been quoted the same "list" price at 3 dealers.

The CRV is at end of of the 5 year cycle of refreshes. It will get a new model for 2017. Some of its sales have been cannibalised by the HRV and some more will go to the BRV. If you aren’t fussy about colour you can take one today, and if you want a specific colour you have to wait 2-3 weeks. I've been quoted the same "list" price at 3 dealers.

Usually in this situation I would expect to either get a deal on the end of cycle model, or get it fully loaded with extra stuff because an end of cycle model will have greater depreciation than a start of cycle. All I see from salespeople is take it or leave it.

When I say i am paying cash their interest drops dramatically.

I assume like Singapore that the salespeople make more money from the loan arrangement than they do from the car sale and that any discount on the car hits their pocket.

Are there any tips for negotiating in this situation?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid cash for my Car (BMW) which had an estimated lead time of 6 months.

When I decided on the Car and Colour choice - they asked when I wanted it, I said, Now, for Cash - I'll take that one !!

This was Thursday, I picked up the Car on the following Tuesday... I suspect someones finance had failed to go through and I got lucky. I was driving one of the first of that model on the road.

So.. OP - There may be opportunity on the HRV to secure one if someones Finance fails to go through.

You may also see a couple of 2nd hand ones that are less than a year old - Still under warranty which may be a good option to jump the queue.

The same for the CRV.

It may be different with Honda - Don't tell them you are paying cash until the end !

Unlike other countries, you really cannot barter here with cash. Like already stated, they make money from financing. Only thing you can barter is accessories for the car. Ask for everything and meet in the middle of that bartering session. Best you can do when purchasing a new car

The best tip for negotiating with Honda is to go to Nissan or Mazda. The X-Trail and CX-5 are as good or better than the Honda CR-V, better value and a lot more negotiable. You can even test drive them which beyonf most Honda dealers.

I got a 100,000 baht off the list price (plus quite a few extras) of my 2014 Mitsu Triton because it was a run-out model, but other than a few extras thrown in I don't think there's much room for negotiation on current models, be it cars, pickups, SUV's.

Not entirely true....Cash payment can have further discount from the listed price. Was quoted much lesser price for Nissan March, 2months back.

I think it's harder to get cash discounts on desirable cars

could be true.

Not entirely true....Cash payment can have further discount from the listed price. Was quoted much lesser price for Nissan March, 2months back.

Jase

With a comment like that you must be a snob...............have a nice day whistling.gif

Jase

With a comment like that you must be a snob...............have a nice day whistling.gif

True. I never once considered a March. Primarily based upon its wretched reviews, many of which said the previous model was superior, but secondarily based upon my snobbery which wouldn't allow me to disgrace my driveway with a Noddy car.

Have a nice day!

Thailand automobile dealers dont do cash discounts or for that matter handsome man discounts at all. The dealers dont have that option. You can get a dealer discount in models THEY have on special but as far as trying to talk them into anything, they will not. What you can barter for are accessories. Thats the only thing you can get. They will throw in tinted windows mats etc but cant and wont give you a discount unless authorized by the company.

I got a 90,000 baht discount on a Ford Fiesta Titanium, but maybe that's not up to your standards either.

I got a 90,000 baht discount on a Ford Fiesta Titanium, but maybe that's not up to your standards either.

Fiestas are great cars and I would be very happy having one on my driveway if I didn't already have another fine Ford.

Last time I was shopping for a car I visited Honda, Ford and Toyota dealers in Bangkok. My budget was up to a million cash.

The Honda dealership while empty of customers was the most disinterested dealer I have ever visited in my life. It was a few years ago but having cash meant nothing. No test drive possible, and maybe we will have something in six months. This was when it was a sellers market.

Toyota weren't much better but at least they were a little bit interested in selling me something even if they didn't have stock, but they couldn't even offer even floormats as a sales incentive

Ford wanted my business, 30 minute plus test drive wherever I wanted to take it. Salesman knew his cars. Coffee, biscuits, brochures quickly offered, busy dealership but happy to talk for as long as I had questions. Didn't get a lot of extras, just floor mats, tint, and a few other items. Had the car in the color I wanted within a week. Car is good, but service not so good so now we use a different dealer.

Honda and Toyota will sell lots of cars no matter what, so they can be lazy. Ford are still a minor player in the Thai market so more likely to want your business... just a shame about the service... sad.png

I got a 100,000 baht off the list price (plus quite a few extras) of my 2014 Mitsu Triton because it was a run-out model, but other than a few extras thrown in I don't think there's much room for negotiation on current models, be it cars, pickups, SUV's.

When I bought my Toyota Avanza, my Thai neighbor who owns a 2nd hand car business, called a friend at a Toyota dealer and was able to get me a 100,000 Baht discount off a 729,000 Baht list price. This was a new and current model, and I paid cash.

Edited by gjoo888

Jase

True. I never once considered a March. Primarily based upon its wretched reviews, many of which said the previous model was superior, but secondarily based upon my snobbery which wouldn't allow me to disgrace my driveway with a Noddy car.

Have a nice day!

And you appear to own a Ford Ranger?

Enough said!

Fiestas are great cars and I would be very happy having one on my driveway if I didn't already have another fine Ford.

Which you never get tired of bragging about. It's a pickup for crying out loud, not a Bugatti.

Which you never get tired of bragging about. It's a pickup for crying out loud, not a Bugatti.

At least it's not a March.

It's all just the basic laws of supply and demand. If you're booking a model with a waiting queue, don't expect too much. The dealer's aren't trying to hard to get sales if the factory can't keep up...

There's no such thing as a car that can't be discounted from MSRP - in one way or another - but it's not always easy to negotiate, and it's unusual for the buyer to be as good a negotiator as the dealer ;)

Buying with cash will mean they don't get finance commission they're accustomed to, so your bargaining power will be less.

At least it's not a March.

And a Ford is not a Bentley.

When I bought my Toyota Avanza, my Thai neighbor who owns a 2nd hand car business, called a friend at a Toyota dealer and was able to get me a 100,000 Baht discount off a 729,000 Baht list price. This was a new and current model, and I paid cash.

Unless it was a run-out model, soon to be superseded, I don't believe it.

100K Baht discounts are practically standard on higher-badge Revo's and Fortuner's right now - and the Avanza iust had a minor change, so 100K as a runout deal sounds about right.

Unless it was a run-out model, soon to be superseded, I don't believe it.

100K Baht discounts are practically standard on higher-badge Revo's and Fortuner's right now - and the Avanza iust had a minor change, so 100K as a runout deal sounds about right.

Gjoo88 said his Avanza that was discounted by 100,000 baht was a current model, not a run-out.

Gjoo88 said his Avanza that was discounted by 100,000 baht was a current model, not a run-out.

I read as: it was the current model when he bought it - words like "when" and "was" were used smile.png

Note: The Avanza minor change was released on December 1st 2015 - only 7 weeks or so ago.

In any case, you are probably right - he got a runout - and I'm just agreeing with you :)

Edited by IMHO

Before you decide on which model, I suggest that you take a look at the new awesome Mazda CX-3.

he has already said is is looking at the cx5, why would he look at an inferior vehicle, the cx3 is small, based on the mazda 2, thats their smallest car.

I bought a new triton in november and got 60,000 baht discount, but that was a manufactors discount across the board. you can negotiate for extras and free insurance, but they will rarely budge on price

its a bad time to be looking at buying new, the bangkok motor show at the end of last year had good sales figures so there will be some waiting because of this plus the prices have all gone up, in some cases 150,000 baht

I read as: it was the current model when he bought it - words like "when" and "was" were used smile.png

Note: The Avanza minor change was released on December 1st 2015 - only 7 weeks or so ago.

In any case, you are probably right - he got a runout - and I'm just agreeing with you smile.png

Roger. People forget to mention little details like that when they talk about big discounts. Mitsu had a big advertising campaign prior to me buying my Triton, on TV, newspapers and signs outside their showrooms offering the 100,000 baht discount, so there was no doubt that I would be buying a run-out.

Edited by giddyup

In any case, you are probably right - he got a runout - and I'm just agreeing with you smile.png

Roger. People forget to mention little details like that when they talk about big discounts. Mitsu had a big advertising campaign prior to me buying my Triton, on TV, newspapers and signs outside their showrooms offering the 100,000 baht discount, so there was no doubt that I would be buying a run-out.

Yep.

100K discount is pretty expected on a runout model, or if buying European (in which case, 100K++). On new mainstream models it's almost unheard of though - which is why I made special mention of the Revo/Fortuner discounting I've been hearing about.

100K discount is pretty expected on a runout model, or if buying European (in which case, 100K++). On new mainstream models it's almost unheard of though - which is why I made special mention of the Revo/Fortuner discounting I've been hearing about.

Maybe they just aren't selling?

Maybe they just aren't selling?

They're selling... but in the case of the Revo, the bulk of the sales are in lower, less profitable models - and those one's aren't getting the discount - it's the top-end models they're slashing the price on.

If you look at product matrixes, it's easy to see why.. they're overpriced wink.png:P

There's simply no way you can make a case that a Revo 4-door 2.8G 4x4 6AT is worth 1.14M Baht. There's also no way to make a case that the top-spec Fortuner is worth 1.63M Baht.

Edited by IMHO