UK FLR; A2 English required from October 2016.

As mentioned in another topic; all applicants for FLR from October 2016 will require at least level A2 in English speaking and listening.

Full details have yet to be announced; but at least this time the government have given a bit of notice before changing the requirements!

Hopefully, someone who achieved A2 or better for their initial visa will be able to use that pass for their FLR; as can be done at present for ILR when someone achieved B1 or better.

I will post the full details here once they are announced; unless someone else does so first.

New A2 English requirement in the family route

A2 is a grade on the CEFR; The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

However, the pass must have been awarded by a UKVI approved provider: see Approved secure English language tests and test centres.

At present, a pass which has been previously used in a successful application; e.g. the initial visa, can be used again in subsequent applications, FLR and ILR, even if the certificate has now expired or the provider is no longer on the approved list.

Provided it's at the required level, of course.

Hopefully that will continue.

A2 is perfectly achievable for anyone that has been living in the UK for a few years. Perhaps not surprising this has been introduced especially as we have a government that seems to link inability to speak English with radicalisation!

Only likely to be an issue for those minorities that live in non-English speaking environments.

Will of course add to the cost of remaining in the UK.

A2: Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment). Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters. Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

Why?

A1, required for the initial visa,

• Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
  • Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
  • Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

A2, required for FLR from October, see bobrussell's post above.

B1, required for ILR:

• Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
  • Can deal with most situations likely to arise while travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
  • Can produce simple connected text on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
  • Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.

Plus, of course, ILR applicants also need to pass the written LitUK test.

I see nothing wrong with requiring a basic level for the first entry, with a higher level required to remain; much higher for ILR.

It is much easier to improve one's ability in a language if using it every day.

• Like 1

With only 9 months notice, there's barely time to conceive the anchor baby to allow a switch to the 10-year route. I'm not sure what the position is on administratively removing heavily pregnant mothers to Thailand, so there may be a bit more leeway. Also, it's possible that appeals can stall matters long enough for the baby to be born and enable the switch.

I wonder if B1 will be required for FLR after 5 years?

Rather than trying to conceive a baby which would allow a switch to the 10 year route, surely it would be better to spend that time in raising one's ability to A2?

For most people, their everyday interaction with their neighbours, employers (if any), whilst shopping etc. over the 30 months they have been in the UK will probably have brought them up to that level without the need for any professional tuition.

• Like 2

B1 is not really a very high level and should be easy to achieve, when they where allowing ESOL level 3 for ILR that really was a joke as most councils ran courses in libraries which I have never heard of anyone failing.

B1 should be the requirement for entry level and then the person should have to progress from their

For most people, their everyday interaction with their neighbours, employers (if any), whilst shopping etc. over the 30 months they have been in the UK will probably have brought them up to that level without the need for any professional tuition.

Note that you have qualified your statement by 'for most people' and 'probably'. Also, the level needs to have been demonstrated and the certificate delivered before the initial post-marriage leave to enter or remain expires - time must be allowed for a retest because of random failures or psychological problems with tests. Random failures include name problems, e.g. maiden v. married names.

But as you know spellingdoes not make any difference in passing the required tests considering that they are verbal and the LitUK is done on a computer which again if people read the book is not very hard to pass.

Edited by cjw121

Richard,

I said 'most' and 'probably' for the obvious reason; do you really need me to explain?

30 months is plenty of time to raise one's ability from A1 to A2; using a professional course if necessary.

Even the 9 months those who will be applying in October or November is sufficient, using a professional course if required.

Far more a reliable course of action than attempting to conceive in time!

Applicants do not need to wait for a certificate before they can apply for LTR, they simply need their SELT number, given to them when they book the test, and UKVI will check the result electronically.

But as you know spellingdoes not make any difference in passing the required tests considering that they are verbal and the LitUK is done on a computer which again if people read the book is not very hard to pass.

My tongue in cheek remark was caused by your apparent insistence that immigrants should display a higher standard of English than many natives possess.

I asked you why this is; you haven't replied to that question.

What level did your partner achieve before applying for their initial visa?

Proper study and revision is, of course, the key to passing any exam or test.

But I started this topic to inform people of the new requirement; especially those whose partner's will be applying in or shortly after October.

Not to get into a discussion on the suitability of the levels required.

Nor on fanciful ways, such as suddenly conceiving, to try and postpone the requirement.

This country needs to get away from having large groups of people having very little interest in learning or engaging in spoken English. If that means have a harder English requirement to gain entry into the UK then so be it.

As for my partner she worked hard to gain a degree in English so when people say that they can't gain the required levels they are really just to lazy to learn. If she can do it through hard work than anyone can.

As for my partner she worked hard to gain a degree in English so when people say that they can't gain the required levels they are really just to lazy to learn. If she can do it through hard work than anyone can.

So not an honours degree, then? I had always assumed that a degree would be beyond some people.

Personally I think it is reasonable, my wife struggled to get her A1 in the new IELTS test, having previously passed with BULATS, this has put an enormous delay in her getting a visa. She lives in a very small village in Issan and there are no English speakers there so her chances to practice, apart from our weekly Skype chats, are non-existent. It took 9 months of 1 on 1 tuition to get her to pass. I hope that 30 months here will get her to A2, the .gov website doesn't say what happens if she were to fail..... Surely once here she can't be deported?

... and be a good citizen is all that's required.

Taken literally, that's a hateful thing to say. Not everyone is happy to surrender their citizenship of origin by becoming British. Fortunately, Thais don't have to make that choice. Burmese and Laotians do have to make a choice.

... and be a good citizen is all that's required.

Taken literally, that's a hateful thing to say. Not everyone is happy to surrender their citizenship of origin by becoming British. Fortunately, Thais don't have to make that choice. Burmese and Laotians do have to make a choice.

Or just make sure that the Lao authorities don't know, which is not too difficult to do as few international flights depart from Laos.

So not an honours degree, then? I had always assumed that a degree would be beyond some people.

I am in total agreement with having a language requirement.

But degree level?

My wife didn't attend university, she left school when she was 12. Not her choice, her father's because he couldn't afford to pay for all of his four children so as she is the eldest she had to leave school and go out to work to contribute to the family finances.

Not an uncommon situation in Thailand and many other countries..

Having to achieve degree level English over 30 years later would have been very difficult for her; and not because of laziness!

She actually came to the UK before the language requirement was introduced. But one of the first things she did was enrol on an English course run by our local authority. Here she was assessed at ESOL entry level 3 (which would have met the requirement had it existed then). Not bad for a self taught woman with little formal education.

Her son, BTW, has an MA and her daughter has a BA(Hons).

• Like 1

Any halfway intelligent person reading about UK FLR applications in a visa an immigration forum would know that FLR in this context has nothing to do with Forward Looking Radar but something to do with UK immigration!

Any one who didn't know that FLR stands for Further Leave to Remain will have soon found out when reading the link in the OP!

Non-EEA national partners and parents on the family route will need to pass a speaking and listening test at level A2 in order to qualify, after two-and-a half-years in the UK, for further leave to remain on the five-year partner or parent route to settlement.

To avoid further confusing you; UK in this context stands for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I just put FLR into Google, on a different device so the results wouldn't be influenced by my search history on this one.

The first 11 results were all to do with UK immigration and Further Leave to Remain applications. his result also appeared regularly in later results.

The twelfth was Female Led Relationships.

Then there were Family Law Reports, flights to Florence airport (FLR), FLR cycle shoes, etc., etc,. There's a lot of companies out there with the initials FLR!

I gave up after 10 pages of results; having found no references to Forward Looking Radar.

Sorry, but you've tried to be clever but instead ended up with egg all over your face.

Any halfway intelligent person reading about UK FLR applications in a visa an immigration forum would know that FLR in this context has nothing to do with Forward Looking Radar but something to do with UK immigration!

Any one who didn't know that FLR stands for Further Leave to Remain will have soon found out when reading the link in the OP!

Non-EEA national partners and parents on the family route will need to pass a speaking and listening test at level A2 in order to qualify, after two-and-a half-years in the UK, for further leave to remain on the five-year partner or parent route to settlement.

To avoid further confusing you; UK in this context stands for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

I just put FLR into Google, on a different device so the results wouldn't be influenced by my search history on this one.

The first 11 results were all to do with UK immigration and Further Leave to Remain applications. his result also appeared regularly in later results.

The twelfth was Female Led Relationships.

Then there were Family Law Reports, flights to Florence airport (FLR), FLR cycle shoes, etc., etc,. There's a lot of companies out there with the initials FLR!

I gave up after 10 pages of results; having found no references to Forward Looking Radar.

Sorry, but you've tried to be clever but instead ended up with egg all over your face.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

It is actually FLIR for Forward Looking Infra-Red but I thought I would have a little fun with my

old mate 7x7. gigglem.gif

You will be OK googling that it comes up right away lol.

Edited by phuketjock

Just goes to show how important it is to keep your eye on forums such as this, just to keep up to date with changes to the UKVI rules... The changes come into force the month before my wife applies for her FLR.. It's not a massive problem, day trip to Manchester to a trinity test centre is not a massive inconvenience.. Will more than likely go for the B1 test as this will be valid for the ILR stage.. Assuming UKVI don't move the goalposts again.

• 2 months later...

A2 is a grade on the CEFR; The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

However, the pass must have been awarded by a UKVI approved provider: see Approved secure English language tests and test centres.

At present, a pass which has been previously used in a successful application; e.g. the initial visa, can be used again in subsequent applications, FLR and ILR, even if the certificate has now expired or the provider is no longer on the approved list.

Provided it's at the required level, of course.

Hopefully that will continue.

Just came across this topic with the new A2 requirement. Given that the list of approved test providers has changed in the past, and new test requirements introduced, what's the best approach for taking tests? Always take the minimum test required, say around 6 months before it's needed, or aim higher if capable?

For example, my wife did her A1 speaking/listening a year ago, some months ahead of the initial settlement visa application. She passed with a distinction and could probably have passed the B1 speaking/listening too. Now she's been living in the UK for six months and studying an intensive English course at university, she could definitely pass B1 and maybe B2 (based on the exams she's doing at around the IELTS level 5).

So, she could get a B1 test "out of the way" next time around, use it for FLR and reuse for ILR when the time comes, but what are the chances of them changing the requirement four years from now? If there's no knowing what further changes are coming, I'd be tempted to suggest she continues the current course of only taking the test actually needed at the time - i.e. A2 for FLR, which would be nice and easy, although it's probably around an extra £150.

Just wondering what approach most people take here...