UK FLR; A2 English required from October 2016.

I believe she should go for the highest level achievable. If that's B1 or better then she can use it for her FLR application, her ILR one and, if she so desires, her British citizenship one.

Remember that she'll need to pass the LitUK test for ILR, and she can use that pass for again for citizenship.

Of course, we don't know if this, or a future, government will change the requirements in the future. But if she only goes for A2 now then she will have to take it again anyway. If she gets B1 or better now and they don't change it, then she won’t need to take it again.

Any change will, I'm sure, be to make the required level higher; so the higher level she achieves now, the less likely it is that she will have to take the test again.

From what you have said, it seems that she could easily achieve B2, but her tutor is best placed to advise her on that.

Indeed; aim high and miss, you've still achieved.

Aim low and the old adage often applies:

Unemployed, broke

Usually pi$$ed.

Aimed low in life:

Missed!

Edited by 7by7

B1 is not really a very high level and should be easy to achieve, when they where allowing ESOL level 3 for ILR that really was a joke as most councils ran courses in libraries which I have never heard of anyone failing.

B1 should be the requirement for entry level and then the person should have to progress from their

ESOL courses are examined externally (by Cambridge University in my wife's case). It still is a thirty week course of three hours per week.

It provides a level of learning that far exceeds that required for all present day English requirements. I accept that to achieve the requirements under the old rules, all that was needed was to meet what is now B1.

The reality was that this formal training equipped students extremely well for day to day life as it required supervised study and assessments that far exceeded B1.

Good courses, run by accredited colleges that educate to a high standard. The reason why few failed was because they received proper teaching! Those that did not apply themselves did fail!

Don't knock them!

• Like 2