Beware of Orange Extension Cords From Thai Watsadu

TungnaaTom

Recently I moved into a new mooban, and this is the first place I live in Thailand that has a properly earthed electrical system with 3-hole sockets throughout the house. Time to upgrade those unearthed extension cords and power bars accumulated over the years from BigC!!!!

I found some nice orange coloured extension cords at Thai Watsadu. They looked heavy-duty, with solid 3-pin plug one one end, and 3-pin socket on the other. Just over 100THB for 6 meters was not a bad price either, so I grabbed two of them.

Back home, I put it to use running my desktop and laptop, but a few days later I noticed that I was still getting that slight stinging/buzzing feeling every time my arm brushed something made of metal, such as the case of the desktop, or the metal edge of the laptop. I think those living here long enough are well familiar with this feeling. I thought W.T.F??? Time to break out the multi-meter!!!

Ohm meter showed open on the earth pin between the plug and socket. The wire must have come disconnected inside the plug or socket, I thought. I'll try my luck, starting with the socket first. Clip it off, and replace it, and if that still does not solve the problem, then clip off the plug and replace it. At least that way I salvage the cord. Here goes...

CLIP! W.T.F???

Wire is only two conductor!!!! (See Photos attached).

Upon close inspection of the wire, the following can be seen branded (melted) into it: 2x1.0mm2 300/500V.

The "2" in "2x1.0mm" gives it away as being two conductor.

Now I got myself 6 meters of wire that is basically only good for lamp cord. Anyone out there have a funky lamp with a stock boring black or white cord? I'll change that boring cord to a funky bright-orange one for the price I paid for it at Thai "Wazoo".

First of all, this is a deliberately misleading product. I say deliberately misleading because it is actually cheaper to manufacture an extension cord with two conductor wire and two pin plug and socket than it is to manufacture one with three pin plug and socket and two conductor wire. In other words, they used the more expensive three pin plug and socket as the bait to fool the buyer into thinking that the wire is also 3-conductor (i.e. a complete, properly earthed extension cord). So, they charge less than for a properly earthed one, but quite a bit more than for a two-conductor unearthed one. This is where they make the profit, albeit deceitfully.

Secondly, it is dangerous because some situations require a properly earthed extension cord, such as when using machinery in wet environments, such as industry, or at home such as a microwave oven near the kitchen sink. Using this cord will only give the owner a false sense of security that his equipment is properly earthed, when in fact it is not!!!

Selling such a misleading product should be outright illegal!!!

So, you've been warned. Before buying, check the stamp on those orange extension cords at Thai Watsadu or anywhere else in fact. Even better, bring an ohm meter with you and check in the store before you buy.

post-127563-0-73126700-1453550605_thumb.

post-127563-0-99918200-1453550615_thumb.

Three pin plug, three pin socket.

Two wire cable.

Even for Thai standard an outright fraud and possible danger.

And what would happen if you publish this in Thai language on Facebook?

You would be sued and put in prison for defamation.

Micky Mouse state.

Your first clue should have been the price. But yah, extensions cords in LOS rarely include a ground even though 3-prong. No consumer protection. Nobody cares.

Indeed such crap is sold in large quantities.

Two pin plug, multiple three pin sockets, switches act on one line only.

BUT: at least everyone with a brain can easily see that there is no ground connector.

post-99794-0-16778800-1453560160_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

Good heads-up from our OP.

Yes, even I was caught in my early days in LoS :(

I mostly make my own trailies http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878317-make-yourself-a-power-board-extension-lead/ not a major task and you know it's wired correctly and it will be the right length :)

That said, all my power tools are double insulated so only need a 2-core flex.

I have been known to cut the hedge-trimmer cable in a moment of inattention, I protect myself and the workers with a 10mA RCD in a short traily from the wall (in addition to the house 30mA unit).

I bought one of the bright orange extension cords the OP is complaining about. It's still doing great service in Mrs NL's garden restaurant. The bright orange fades to pale yellow in the sun as well.

Unfortunately for us, to assume that any extension cord has 3-wires based on it having a 3-pin plug is folly. There's also some brand name, locally assembled domestic products that have a molded 3-pin plug that only have/need 2 conductor service cabling. There's no legislation in place that I know of that enforces properly grounded home and workplace wiring and thus no effort to force manufacturers to follow any standard on what they manufacture and sell. Imported stuff is a total electrical safety mystery and liability.

As mentioned earlier, the price is your guide. I only recommend and use Belkin brand power extension cords. They are 3-wired and grounded with overload protection. They come in sizes from 3-outlet up to 8-outlet and also two different service cable lengths. Prices are upward of 400 baht to around 900 baht but well worth it IMHO. I also recommend Wanpro brand but they are becoming scarce here.

I have a number of those extension cables sold in BigC and TescoLotus... They are 3 pin plugs and allow a series of plugs to be inserted (international 3 pin, UK 3 Pin, Thai 2 Pin etc)... These Extension Cables also hold their own Fuse and an on/off switch for each extension.

I'm now going to have to take one of them apart to check it is actually what I purchased - I thought I was being safe.

The problem here - we are always lead towards assumptions of common sense by packaging etc... when infact the smarter move would be to assume everything is wrong-unsafe and check accordingly, but that just becomes tiring.

Is there the equivalent of Thai trading standards ???? Why, I ask? well, social media has empowered Thai's and the Thai consumer - I see a shift in the 'why bother, nothing will be done about it' attitude to one whereby people are slowly becoming empowered enough to complain and raise issues about these things. Improvements will slowly come about because of those who are not lazy and make complaints.

Fake 3-wire cords, wires strung across wet floors/ground at open air markets, high voltage lines within an arm's reach, pool lights, manhole covers, sidewalk awnings at forehead height, egg-shell motorbike helmets, exploding battery chargers, ad infinitum.

In Thailand, the best insurance against injury and death is not 'reliable' technology nor public safety standards.

It's personal awareness and wariness. It's a necessary paradigm shift for westerners. That is, if they want to live a long and healthy life here.

I have a number of those extension cables sold in BigC and TescoLotus... They are 3 pin plugs and allow a series of plugs to be inserted (international 3 pin, UK 3 Pin, Thai 2 Pin etc)... These Extension Cables also hold their own Fuse and an on/off switch for each extension.

I'm now going to have to take one of them apart to check it is actually what I purchased - I thought I was being safe.

The problem here - we are always lead towards assumptions of common sense by packaging etc... when infact the smarter move would be to assume everything is wrong-unsafe and check accordingly, but that just becomes tiring.

Is there the equivalent of Thai trading standards ???? Why, I ask? well, social media has empowered Thai's and the Thai consumer - I see a shift in the 'why bother, nothing will be done about it' attitude to one whereby people are slowly becoming empowered enough to complain and raise issues about these things. Improvements will slowly come about because of those who are not lazy and make complaints.

They are often not very high quality (hair size wire and crappy outlets) but if they have 3 pin plug have found them to be grounded (at least 10 years ago when probably bought last). Better to spend more and avoid the fires (have had 2 strips catch fire due to poor outlet connections causing arching/melting/fire).

The best way to be safe, relative to extension strips, is to preclude the need for them - especially in the kitchen. If you have a situation where a receptacle is not conveniently available, then a retro-fit with a proper one would be in order (and probably cheaper than a "good" extension anyway).

For outdoor requirements, building your own as Crossy outlines is the way to go.

Yes, even I was caught in my early days in LoS sad.png

I mostly make my own trailies http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878317-make-yourself-a-power-board-extension-lead/ not a major task and you know it's wired correctly and it will be the right length smile.png

I have been known to cut the hedge-trimmer cable in a moment of inattention, I protect myself and the workers with a 10mA RCD in a short traily from the wall (in addition to the house 30mA unit).

I avoid that chance completely ..................http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/honda-hhh-25d-75e-28-hedge-trimmer.html#.Vqiauyp95sc

I mostly make my own trailies http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/878317-make-yourself-a-power-board-extension-lead/ not a major task and you know it's wired correctly and it will be the right length smile.png

I avoid that chance completely ..................http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/honda-hhh-25d-75e-28-hedge-trimmer.html#.Vqiauyp95sc

We did look at the petrol trimmers but they were too heavy for Wifey.

As it turns out I'm the one who ends up trimming the bushes anyway.

Yep, make your own ones...

The other thing about these store bought extensions is, in many cases there's no markings to indicate the size of copper cores inside. Even a big fat looking cable might only be 0.75mm2 or 1.0mm2, which is going to get awfully hot and melty if you use it with big power draw, like a pressure washer.

We can't see the cores for all the insulation in the OP's pics, but I'm guessing there's not a lot of copper inside.

Edited by IMHO

• 2 months later...

I've had good experiences with the name brand electric cables I have bought from a Buriram Builders merchants. My wife likes her new Bosch AHS 60-16 450 watt electric hedge trimmer which is made in Hungary more so than the Hitachi 18 volt hedge trimmer. The blade is much longer than on the Bosch AHS 45 -16 garden hedge trimmer. I only allow her to use the grounded 1.5 or 2.5 cables on a reel made by Toshino or Sun Tech. I've seen electric cables fall apart at Amorn that appeared to be General Cable or Woods Electric. They were not genuine Woods Electric Cables being sold in Thailand.

post-20604-0-13105200-1460365188_thumb.j

Obviously the girl on the left is the 1.0mm model......the hottie on the right can take 2.5mm or a lot more!!!!! Certainly pump a few more AMPs in to her without fear of overheating.

Bloke in the middle.......leave that for Jingthing or one of the more knowledgeable in that area of expertise.

Sorry guys...a little too much pre Songkran lubrication happening here !!!!

Crossy - feel free to delete if inappropriate