Bank Fraud

Farangdanny

Late last year, one of our customers phoned us to ask us why we had moved our payment account to a UAE bank.

It took me umpteen phone calls to get put through to the banks "Security department", and even then the attitude of the bloke on the end of the phone was so unprofessional it was unbelievable (cheap south Asian labour for you).

Of course they wouldn't tell me if the account had actually been used and any of our customers been defrauded. I had to explain to him that either he called the UAE police or I would, and then he suddenly started getting interested.

Banks are paranoid about reputational damage.

I would suggest you try their head office 02 544 1000 and see if you can talk to anyone in Security or Compliance.

In my case I had our International Marketing department send a notice to every customer telling them to contact us via phone if they received any instruction to change payment details.

Fortunately the first one to spot it was the only one who had received it.

Edited by Chicog

Pick-up the telephone. Why would you bother with an email???

In fact many banks are not happy to communicate real details by e-mail because unencrypted e-mails can very easily be bogus and are open to everybody on the internet, and can easily be found by various searches.

Example: Local banks in my home country will not accept requests for funds transfers by e-mail.

This is why banks used to prefer faxes, they can see the actual telephone sending number. But not sure if they still have this attitude to faxes.

Pick-up the telephone. Why would you bother with an email???

In fact many banks are not happy to communicate real details by e-mail because unencrypted e-mails can very easily be bogus and are open to everybody on the internet, and can easily be found by various searches.

Example: Local banks in my home country will not accept requests for funds transfers by e-mail.

This is why banks used to prefer faxes, they can see the actual telephone sending number. But not sure if they still have this attitude to faxes.

They aren't too fussed when it comes to getting money though.... This cost Aramco $30 million (even though they denied it).

The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) is one of India's third most profitable companies and as of May posted a consolidated net profit of Rs 18,334 crore in 2014-15. However it lost nearly Rs 200 crore last month to a scam, so disarmingly simple, that it's a testimony to how little the alleged fraudsters must think of the collective intelligence of two of the largest oil companies in the world, to even implement such a scheme.

To summarize, the ONGC had agreed in September to deliver 36000 tonnes of naptha to Saudi Arabia-based oil company Aramco for Rs 100 crore. The delivery was facilitated on behalf of ONGC from the email address '[email protected].'

The company usually got money into its State Bank of India account and officials were perturbed that Aramco hadn't paid up several days after deadline. On checking up, ONGC was told that public holidays had delayed payment, to which the beningly-trusting company responded by sending a new consignment of naptha--worth Rs 97 crore--to Aramco.

On October 7, ONGC got an email from Aramco saying that their money had been transferred to Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited "on the request of ONGC."

The frazzled ONGC contacted the cyber wing of the Mumbai police from where it emerged that Aramco had been communicating with [email protected], ostensibly a fraud website and merely two alphabets in the URL interchanged.

No doubt your emails were from a bogus account not your usual, that's why you sent them.

If you're really concerned, grow some balls walk into a main branch office and tell them.

Otherwise it might be better to mind your own business and anyway, I thought you might

have been on this forum long enough to know Thai's don't do emails very well.