KL Backs Bangkok For A Peaceful South

Jai Dee

KL backs Bangkok for a peaceful south

abdullah%20and%20surayud.jpg

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia will support all programmes initiated by the Thai government to help its people in the south of the country, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said yesterday.

He said it was Malaysia’s hope that southern Thailand would be peaceful.

“We want to see the area, where many Muslims live, to be peaceful and where the people can go about their work or business without fear,” he said at a joint Press conference with his Thai counterpart, Surayud Chulanont, who is here for a one-day visit.

Malaysia had no intention of creating problems in southern Thailand.

He said the movement of people across their common border should not be interpreted as interference in Thai affairs by Malaysia.

“They have been crossing the border all the time.” Abdullah also said the leaders of both countries would continue to co-operate to resolve problems that might arise from time to time.

On the repatriation of 130 Thai Muslims who fled to Malaysia more than a year ago, Abdullah said Surayud had stated that he would have no problem if they wanted to remain in the country.

Surayud, the military-backed prime minister installed after last month’s coup, signalled that he would take a different approach to the crisis compared to the hard - line stand of the ousted government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

“Let me explain my personal strategy of trying to solve the problems in the south, by peaceful means,” he said.

“We will try to talk to a lot of people.

Initially I told the Malaysian prime minister that I will talk to the Muslim leaders in the south, talk to kids in schools. That is the way I’m trying to present myself, by way of talking.” Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak later held talks with Surayud where they discussed ways Malaysia and Thailand could co-operate to bring peace to the southern province.

Najib told reporters that while Malaysia was willing to help, it was up to the Thai government to determine the roles Malaysia could play.

He said he had high hopes that Surayud would bring positive changes to southern Thailand.

In Bangkok, AFP reported yesterday that the Thai government said it would restore a centre for mediation in its souther n provinces, reversing the policy of deposed premier Thaksin.

The former prime minister dismantled the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre, a forum for government officials and security forces to iron out their differences thatwas credited with curbing unrest in the southern provinces.

General Sondhi Boonyaratkalin, who ousted Thaksin in a coup last month, said a new centre would be set up.

Abdullah told his Thai counterpart, Surayud Chulanont, that Malaysia has no intention of causing problems in southern Thailand.

Source: New Straits Times - 19 Oct 2006

Thai PM's peaceful stance on south

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thailand's new prime minister says he will use peaceful means to resolve the Muslim insurgency in his country's south -- a clear reversal of the previous government's iron-fisted strategy.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who made a one-day visit to Malaysia on Wednesday, said he would reach out to all minority Muslims in his predominantly Buddhist country to end the separatist insurgency, which has claimed more than 1,700 lives since January 2004.

He also said Thailand planned to work more closely with Muslim-majority Malaysia, which borders southern Thailand, to solve the problem.

"We will try to talk to a lot of people," said Surayud, a former army general who was named Thailand's interim prime minister after a September 19 bloodless military coup that ousted the elected government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"I told the Malaysian prime minister that I would talk to the Muslim leaders in the south, to the kids in schools. That's the way I am trying to present myself -- by way of talking," he said.

Surayud said his "personal strategy" was to try "to resolve these problems by peaceful means."

The comments mark a turnaround from Thaksin's hard-nosed approach. He sent thousands of troops to the south to crush the insurgency, with scant success.

Surayud spoke Wednesday after talks with his Malaysian counterpart, Abdullah Badawi. Both said they would remain in telephone contact to discuss any problem in southern Thailand.

Upon his return to Thailand late Wednesday night, Surayud said the two leaders would meet more often to cooperate on the southern violence issue.

Previously, the insurgency had soured Thai-Malaysian relations, with Thaksin's government frequently accusing Malaysia of harboring militants. Malaysia's government denied the charge.

Malaysia's only concern was that the Muslims in southern Thailand -- who share the same religion and ethnicity with Malays across the border -- "live in peace and without fear," Abdullah told reporters.

Surayud's visit came amid former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's efforts to mediate between the Thai government and Islamic separatists, who operate in the three Muslim-dominated provinces bordering Malaysia.

Surayud's government has said it wants to hold talks with insurgent leaders and has been in contact with some, but has not publicly said when.

Malaysian government leaders have responded by saying they are willing to host peace talks if both sides agree.

Surayud also said on Wednesday that he had asked Malaysia to help improve understanding of the situation in the south among fellow Muslim countries.

Source: AP - 19 October 2006

Malaysia will help solve Southern problem

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said his official visit to Malaysia to strengthen bilateral ties was deemed successful. The Malaysian authority has expressed its readiness to help other Muslim countries in gaining a better understanding of violent situations in the three southernmost provinces of Thailand.

Prime Minister Surayud said this visit has successfully revived bilateral ties as well as gained support in solving the southern unrest.

Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi assured that Malaysia continues to respect Thailand’s actions in coping with the southern problems. Executive-level discussions, both formal and informal, between the two countries would likely be held in the future. Besides, Mr. Abdullah said Malaysia would help Thailand develop a better understanding among other Muslim countries about the restive South.

However, Gen. Surayud has requested Malaysia to wait for the Thai government’s measures in tackling the southern turbulence before implement any assistance.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 October 2006