To furnish or not to furnish that is the question.

Hi all,

My wife and I bought a new townhouse a year ago in Hua Hin. We bought it for our eldest to live in but he never did move in. Now we are thinking of renting it out.

Honestly I have no experience renting property. Hope I can get some sound advice.

It is 2 story, 3 bedroom, euro kitchen with a large balcony off the master bedroom (serves as the covered parking below). We have a new fridge and a washing machine other than that the townhouse is empty.

Should we furnish it or not?

If you want to cast the widest possible net .. furnish it will all the basics one would expect to make it "turn key."

If tastefully done, it will help.

It is an exercise in "all things being equal, who will win"

A couple is driving home after seeing your place, and another that is not even as nice, but furnished.

Many couples would follow the path of least resistance, and instead of spending weeks in an area they know nothing about trying to furnish yours, they place the deposit, get the key, break open a cold one and begin "the good life" 300 meters from your door.

We struggled to find an unfurnished house to rent last year (in Phuket).

It seems that there are very few unfurnished rentals in Thailand.

Maybe that's because very few people want unfurnished accommodation! We did.

However, you could try renting it unfurnished at first (and not have to spend money on furniture), then you could invest and see if it rents better, furnished??

We struggled to find an unfurnished house to rent last year (in Phuket).

It seems that there are very few unfurnished rentals in Thailand.

Maybe that's because very few people want unfurnished accommodation! We did.

However, you could try renting it unfurnished at first (and not have to spend money on furniture), then you could invest and see if it rents better, furnished??

Thats a bit of a catch 22 situation though eh------- if you ad it unfurnished and it goes you will never know how much you would have got for it furnished----Hey Ho coffee1.gif

I would go for partially furnished, meaning fittings and fixtures installed, lights, air-con, ceiling fans, shower, bathtub, water heater and built-in kitchen.

I would wait for responses from potential tenants before deciding on loose furnishings and curtains.

I would go for partially furnished, meaning fittings and fixtures installed, lights, air-con, ceiling fans, shower, bathtub, water heater and built-in kitchen.

I would wait for responses from potential tenants before deciding on loose furnishings and curtains.

The town house has everything you mentioned it is only missing furniture. I would like to get a long term renter however if I furnish the house it is too easy for people to get up and leave after signing a lease. If they are willing to move their furniture into the house that may mean they plan on sticking around.

Hua Hin being a tourist resort could lead to people signing long term lease only to leave after their 1 or 2 month holiday is over. It would be very easy to do with a turn key rental.

I would really prefer a long term renter even for less money than deal with the hassle of transient people.

Like I said I have no experience renting out property I may be wrong.

Edited by Sakeopete

I would furnish it, with cheaper but nice furniture & only include the basics. Don't supply any appliances. Charge 1 months rent as bond & 1 months rent in advance. That way if they leave before the lease is up, then you have your rent in advance & keep the bond to cover any damage or cleaning required.

I would furnish it, with cheaper but nice furniture & only include the basics. Don't supply any appliances. Charge 1 months rent as bond & 1 months rent in advance. That way if they leave before the lease is up, then you have your rent in advance & keep the bond to cover any damage or cleaning required.

Standard is 2-month rent as security deposit and one month's rent in advance. Min. lease should be six months.

Your question should be addressed to property agents active in Hua Hin.

If it is unfurnished they may try to get a reduction on the rent as they will say you don't need to go out and buy any so it saves you money.

Furnished you want it too look nice but remember it is not for yourself to live in and no point in buying high end stuff as it will get damaged at some point and don't buy super cheap or you will be replacing it every few months.

Set down minimum rental period of one year with clause that if they leave before first 6 months is up they lose all deposits and rents paid in advance.

I have a one month deposit on my property and make them pay 3 months in advance and then every 3 months after that. All furniture apart from a bed and fridge are their own .

They also repair everything and service everything up to 3000 bht and look after garden etc. If something major breaks like pump or air unit etc they pay the first 3000 bht of repair or replacement.

They must also give 2 months notice before leaving in writing or lose deposit.

If you are furnishing it you may want 2 months deposit and 2 months advance rent and then get them to pay rent every 2 months after that.

The only tenants you will get with unfurnished will be people in transition who have their own furnishings, i.e. someone building their own house. They are in the minority.

As a long-term tenant in Thailand, I'd agree you don't need high end stuff. However, you do need stuff that won't break down or fall apart, because no tenant will replace it. That's your job.

2 months deposit, 2 months in advance and pay every two months after? In your dreams.

If it is unfurnished they may try to get a reduction on the rent as they will say you don't need to go out and buy any so it saves you money.

Furnished you want it too look nice but remember it is not for yourself to live in and no point in buying high end stuff as it will get damaged at some point and don't buy super cheap or you will be replacing it every few months.

Set down minimum rental period of one year with clause that if they leave before first 6 months is up they lose all deposits and rents paid in advance.

I have a one month deposit on my property and make them pay 3 months in advance and then every 3 months after that. All furniture apart from a bed and fridge are their own .

They also repair everything and service everything up to 3000 bht and look after garden etc. If something major breaks like pump or air unit etc they pay the first 3000 bht of repair or replacement.

If you are furnishing it you may want 2 months deposit and 2 months advance rent and then get them to pay rent every 2 months after that.

I'm just wondering how many tenants you get to accept those terms. Personally, you wouldn't get me as a tenant. Or perhaps you only get pond life, which would explain why your conditions are so draconian.

Treat tenants like s##t, and they'll probably respond in kind with your property.

I'm just wondering how many tenants you get to accept those terms. Personally, you wouldn't get me as a tenant. Or perhaps you only get pond life, which would explain why your conditions are so draconian.

Treat tenants like s##t, and they'll probably respond in kind with your property.

It is a high end villa and I guess if you call local business people who run successful businesses pond life then you must be correct !!

Last tenant was there 3 years , ones renting now have been there a year and said they want at least another one if not two. I have no shortage of people wanting to rent due to prime location !!

The town house has everything you mentioned it is only missing furniture. I would like to get a long term renter however if I furnish the house it is too easy for people to get up and leave after signing a lease. If they are willing to move their furniture into the house that may mean they plan on sticking around.

Hua Hin being a tourist resort could lead to people signing long term lease only to leave after their 1 or 2 month holiday is over. It would be very easy to do with a turn key rental.

I would really prefer a long term renter even for less money than deal with the hassle of transient people.

Like I said I have no experience renting out property I may be wrong.

If you live close to the house you could potentially make more renting it out on Airbnb.

But perhaps you don't want to deal with the enquiries and other hassles that entails.

It is a high end villa and I guess if you call local business people who run successful businesses pond life then you must be correct !!

Last tenant was there 3 years , ones renting now have been there a year and said they want at least another one if not two. I have no shortage of people wanting to rent due to prime location !!

I guess that means you are smarter than they are. Bully for you.

Most people want furnished in Thailand, it's pretty much the norm.

However if you time & prefer not to furnish and see what type of response you get, why not give it a shot, then if you are not getting much interest, get it furnished.

Fun times await!!!