New requirements for US passport holders?

Coming back into Thailand, the immigration officer asked me if I knew about the new rules for US passport holders. I responded no, which I hadn't/wasn't aware anything specific had been put out. She said I would have to get a visa the next time I came into Thailand because US passports only have 180 days or 6 times before needing a visa. I have been in and out more than 6 times and never heard of this. I have looked at the visa requirements online and find nothing backing up what she told me.

I have been in and out several times since July but nothing that I think could be considered a visa run. I was in Thailand for a week or so in July and left then returned in mid August. I was here for 60 days starting, paid to get a 30 days extension as required. Left and came back after about 10 days, late Oct. Overstayed 2 days when I left in early Dec and returned Jan 2. Stayed about 10 days left and returned yesterday. Too much too soon? Previously I was in and out every 3-4 months. Is what she told me correct?

It is the same for all nationalities. They get an alert when your reach 6 visa exempt entries. They cannot deny entry for that.

The alert is to inform the officer so that they can review your entries to be sure they are not out/or and/or appear to show that you are living here on them. They might question you as to what you are doing here and could ask to see financial proof for your stay (20k baht).

• Like 1

From another thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/889453-email-i-recieved-from-thaivisa-run-service/

The System Alert is

automatically generated after 6to10 entries under visa exempt

so maby system alert setup is somehow based on what passport passenger has ?

I think the 6 to 10 info is because the immigration officers providing the info were not sure what it is. I have only heard of it being 6 from what people were told or shown on entry to the country.

For UJ: Would that be 6 (visa exempt) entries within some period of time (like, say, a year), 6 entries at the same point-of-entry, 6 entries in the passport, or 6 entries ever (lifetime) by the holder?

As far as I know there is not a period of time that resets the 6 entry alert. The alert is from immigration's records and is recorded at all points of entries.

It is only an alert to inform the officer that they should check a persons history of entries to see if a person is trying to live here on them and/or has done them as out/in visa runs. It is not enough to deny entry for just the alert. Denial of entry can only be done under section 12 of the immigration act.