It's freezing ( not quite) why do foreigners wander around with no shirts?

peterb17

Sheesh. That was a question with a fairly obvious answer, as given by many. The shirtless ones probably come from colder climates? Apart from the idiots. coffee1.gif

How about a topic of enthralling proportions - how many teeth does a chicken have? gigglem.gif

Have a nice day.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never given the shirt thing much thought, but thinking about it now, the only time I see Thais do that is when they're on their own land, or sometimes (not always) when swimming. The nearest thing to that which I can recall is they roll the bottom half of the shirt up when it's very hot weather.

I did have the general idea that it wasn't polite (other than for practical purposes like beach attire), but not sure where I got that idea other than perhaps subconsciously noting how others dress (singlet shorts and flip flops are what I think of when I think of farang) - I'm a full length jeans with socks/trainers type person on a typical day, if for no other reason than I don't like mosquitos very much.

Edited by Shiver

As a Norwegian I think of this "new" climate as a good old Norwegian summer when maximum temp hits 18 degrees and we're all walking around almost naked.

I never saw any half naked stinking swine in your country but always cultivated people with good manners......

No shorts or t shirts in Chiang Mai today.

Been pouring down all night and still doing so now in Nong Kwai, Hang Dong and 11 Degrees at midday

sad.png

Different with me...I wear shorts and T-shirt, but also a warm jacket, sweater and "Long John's" and jeans....cheesy.gif

It's cold in Surin too and snowing in N. Vietnam and Laos. Heck was thinking of lighting a firepit in yard. Yes, I hate cold weather after growing up in Eastern America. Anyway, People seem to dress the way their friends dress in my opinion. So if one loses the shirt they all will. Maybe too much whiskey in the bones..smile. I've learned over the years to worry about family and me....bottom line: if these guys want to freeze or are otherwise happy..."up to them"

Btw guys: this is my first post although I've been reading TV for last few years. Retired Air Force and happy here! Cheers Fella"s

if these guys want to freeze or are otherwise happy..."up to them"

Nooooo, it's not. It's just disrespect of Thai culture and customs. And those "quality tourists" Thailand should give a kick out of this country....or seize the visa...

The local Thai ladies use the term "KATHOEY KWAY" to describe these guys. I'm learning Thai so I know what a kathoey and kway is, so I enquired to exactly what they mean by that phrase.

Well it turns out that they are mocking these guys, as the reference to a Kathoey Kwai infers that the muscular shirtless man who

"has the mind of a vain, ladylike person, but who has a body and brain like buffalo".

Love their sense of humor and choice of words.

Never given the shirt thing much thought, but thinking about it now, the only time I see Thais do that is when they're on their own land, or sometimes (not always) when swimming. The nearest thing to that which I can recall is they roll the bottom half of the shirt up when it's very hot weather.

I did have the general idea that it wasn't polite (other than for practical purposes like beach attire), but not sure where I got that idea other than perhaps subconsciously noting how others dress (singlet shorts and flip flops are what I think of when I think of farang) - I'm a full length jeans with socks/trainers type person on a typical day, if for no other reason than I don't like mosquitos very much.

When you see a shirtless Thai guy, it's mostly because they are workmen, probably working nearby.

When some of these western ignoramases see a shirtless Thai man, they probably assume it's common among them.

It is not, I have hardly ever seen a shirtless Thai man away from his own land, or work place.

Edited by possum1931

Most foreigners that visit and live here can care less about the Thais or anyone else . Going shirtless they just look like macho, sloppy, braindead , idiots. Ever wonder why the Thais do not think highly of us? Here is just one of numerous reasons . The fat slobbering sex tourist outfit should win some sort of prize. Beer Chang wife beater T-shirt two sizes too small with huge gut hanging out, dopey Gilligan's Island hat, dirty torn shorts, and lets not forget flip flops. Most foreigners not the minority are an embarassment to be seen near. Come on guys clean up your act. No decent Thai woman wants to be seen with you. CREPPY !gigglem.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

Most farangs care that it is an affront to Thai society to go without a shirt....

Some farangs plain just do not give a shi*t about that and most everything & anybody else......

Unforunately you are in an area where affronts are in vogue - from all sides....

It's cold in Surin too and snowing in N. Vietnam and Laos. Heck was thinking of lighting a firepit in yard. Yes, I hate cold weather after growing up in Eastern America. Anyway, People seem to dress the way their friends dress in my opinion. So if one loses the shirt they all will. Maybe too much whiskey in the bones..smile. I've learned over the years to worry about family and me....bottom line: if these guys want to freeze or are otherwise happy..."up to them"

Btw guys: this is my first post although I've been reading TV for last few years. Retired Air Force and happy here! Cheers Fella"s

Nooooo, it's not. It's just disrespect of Thai culture and customs. And those "quality tourists" Thailand should give a kick out of this country....or seize the visa...

Aloha SAWATDEE. I agree with u but how many time have we seen this happen? Not gonna change theses guys thinking. I was just at suwannapomi and saw two maybe 24 y/o UK kids strolling around inside airport by Burger King with no shirts begging for a drink of orange juice. Why I'm not from there we are similar and kids wouldn't do that in their own country I'm sure. Airport police unsure how to handle. I asked them to please put on a shirt and was given the three finger salute. I live my life so I TRY to bother no one. But others just don't give a rats butt. I'm not stereotypical here cuz there are a lot of fine gents living here. Unfortunately we get labeled cuz of stupid things ignorantly or uncaring farangs do

Aloha SAWATDEE. I agree with u but how many time have we seen this happen? Not gonna change theses guys thinking. I was just at suwannapomi and saw two maybe 24 y/o UK kids strolling around inside airport by Burger King with no shirts begging for a drink of orange juice. Why I'm not from there we are similar and kids wouldn't do that in their own country I'm sure. Airport police unsure how to handle. I asked them to please put on a shirt and was given the three finger salute. I live my life so I TRY to bother no one. But others just don't give a rats butt. I'm not stereotypical here cuz there are a lot of fine gents living here. Unfortunately we get labeled cuz of stupid things ignorantly or uncaring farangs do

yes, you are right. Thais making no difference between our countries. Farang is Farang. No matter where he comes from. It's a shame to belong to them. Sometimes.

CREEPY !!!! Agree they should be banned from entering just about anywhere. What the hell are they thinking? Brains must be soaked in booze.

Last week a man not so young by the way was refused entry by the guard at Makro Lamai for being shirtless.

He then giggles to his friends and went back to their car to fetch a shirt.

By the way why this kind of middle age people, would choose to go shirtless in a super market?

No muscles or tattoos to exhibit, only beer belly and grey body hair. bah.gif My kaodjy!

Well done to that guard, if only all security guards did the same.

And Thais respect "human rights" culture? whistling.gif

I have learned to keep a safe distance from both men and women foreigners. Just damn scary to be near. If they could only understand what the Thais were saying. Are they seriously that out of it ?

yes, you are right. Thais making no difference between our countries. Farang is Farang. No matter where he comes from. It's a shame to belong to them. Sometimes.

They can care less about disrespect of Thai culture. Agree wish they would kick them out of Thailand and blacklist them. Reminds me of that foreign woman nutcase walking around Bangkok not long ago naked. 500 baht fine should be raised to 50,000 baht perhaps it might sink in but i doubt it.

And Thais respect "human rights" culture? whistling.gif

yeees, and pears are not cherries

Saw a foreign guy in my town 8 am in the morning walking down main street in his underwear. Nothing more not even flip flops. Are,nt these quality foreigners wonderful ?

Perhaps last night he had to make a quick exit from someone's bedroom and was going back to collect his clothes. Edited by roo860

In 11 years here I have managed to claim 7 men as friends as they were the only, out of hundreds,

who did not drink before 12 PM, didn't wear sleeveless T-Shirts, shaved/bathed daily, ( well, almost daily ),didn't caress their latest love on the street, didn't say <deleted> in every sentence, some

read books and were up on current events. I found the rest to be, essentially, outcasts from their

birth countries who acted/looked badly no matter where or with whom. 7 is plenty !

I have three after sixteen years. Two drink rarely. All have learned to take showers, none wear wife beater T-shirts, shorts, flips flops, none grab at Thai women, none slobber all over any women friends in public, none get within hundreds of miles of Pattaya, Nana, Phuket, Full Moon Party Koh Samui or any other tourist slum, none date or get near bar girls and two even speak Thai . The hundreds perhaps thousands i have encountered i keep a safe distance. I don,t want to be caught any where near them. Outcast is to kind of a word.

In 11 years here I have managed to claim 7 men as friends as they were the only, out of hundreds,
who did not drink before 12 PM, didn't wear sleeveless T-Shirts, shaved/bathed daily, ( well, almost daily ),didn't caress their latest love on the street, didn't say <deleted> in every sentence, some
read books and were up on current events. I found the rest to be, essentially, outcasts from their
birth countries who acted/looked badly no matter where or with whom. 7 is plenty !

That would only leave less than a thousand entering Thailand yearly. OMG! What would we do without them ?

Perhaps when entering Thailand all bags should be opened and any inappropriate clothing should be confiscated, ie flip flops, crocs, vests, cut off denim shorts, leather chapps, etc.