Songthaew Baht Bus are safer than proper (Thai) bus

digbeth

Had a visit to Bangkok the other day.... never thought I'd say this, but after having to use various buses in Bangkok.... our baht bus is safer than proper bus.

1. High floors, with most of the Thai bus being converted truck platform, the floors are very high, with steep steps, which makes getting on and off (especially for the elderly) difficult, getting on baht bus is a breeze
  2. The Bangkok bus tend to not stop completely, requiring you to make a run and jump to board it, and to disembark you'd have to hit the ground running...(lucky I remembered my paratrooper training) with baht bus, the need to come up to the driver and pay means they must come to a complete stop.

Okay, maybe the air conditioned mini bus might behave a bit better but not by much... and the driver might be merciful to the infirm looking and let them get on and off nicely and the ticket girls do seem to serve as a spotter yelling to the driver if the passenger is yet to get on.... but from my experience, Bangkok bus is an extreme sport suitable only to the brave

You're really trying to say that getting ripped off by a Songtaeuw driver is better than paying almost nothing for a bus ride?

Not saying that the baht bus is excellent and service is great, but having used Bangkok's bus, it just put things into perspective.

and 10 baht is not much more than the 8 baht I paid for the un-airconditioned bus in Bangkok, ok, the free ones do exist

Charter-only bus is a ripoff sure, but pay 10 baht and walk away, most of the time the driver is not going to be high enough to get out of his cab and chase after you for not paying his extortion