Koh Tao murders: Lawyer alleges prison mistreatment

webfact

Koh Tao Murders: Lawyer Alleges Prison Mistreatment
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

1453809023_twosuspects-kohtao-conf.JPG
Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo at the Oct. 3, 2014, police news conference on Koh Tao

BANGKOK — Two Myanmar men sentenced to death last month for killing two British tourists in 2014 are being singled out for mistreatment in prison, their lawyer said yesterday.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo are forced to wear shackles and remain in their cell 24 hours a day, according to lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat, who said he will file an appeal of their conviction some time in February after being granted an extension by the court.

“Their condition is good. They can watch TV, but they have some problems: They have to wear shackles 24 hours a day,” Nakhon said Tuesday. “We will campaign against this. We won’t only do it for them; this is about principles. The way they treated [Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo] is not in prison regulations. They claim it's a security measure."

The two Myanmar men are being held at a prison in Nakhon Si Thammarat province.

According to Nakhon, the prison wardens also withhold money transferred for their use by their supporters and families.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453808903&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-27

This is so wrong.Why dont the prosecution just for once man up,lose a bit of face and release these innocents,then get on with

the Business of prosecuting the real killer(s).I have no doubt they know who he/they are.It's my guess they're related to some high ranking official.

This is so wrong.Why dont the prosecution just for once man up,lose a bit of face and release these innocents,then get on with

the Business of prosecuting the real killer(s).I have no doubt they know who he/they are.It's my guess they're related to some high ranking official.

Don't think so.

Just their bulging bank accounts and business interests are.

KT is a goldmine, ran as a fiefdom of old island families. Jungle island rules apply. Just add millions of $ every year.

Edited by condo bought

The rage of these barbarians never ceases to amaze me, because the world media, human rights activists and other interested parties threw a spanner in the works and complicated (probably raising the price of the trial outcome) the swift passage of "Thai" justice, they feel the need to regain some face by the continuing persecution of these powerless migrant workers.

Big men, real big men.

I wish young travellers would boycott the place.

Don't think so.

Just their bulging bank accounts and business interests are.

KT is a goldmine, ran as a fiefdom of old island families. Jungle island rules apply. Just add millions of $ every year.

Yep that family are an old power family and they are part of a clique of the most powerful Southern family, the head of said family is a famous ex politician and monk...

These boys will 'commit suicide' from their feelings of 'guilt' by the end of the year.

For the ones who were unsure and for those who were certain that the appeal was only against the death penalty not the conviction, I hope they read the above article.

The appeal is against........ conviction.....it is therefore automatically against the death sentence imposed.

I recall the practice of shackles was stopped once after a visit to Chonburi prison by some high ranking Japanese officials who raised it as a human rights issue.

They then stopped it temporarily. It was quickly reintroduced following an attempted escape by Thai prisoners on their way to court.Prisoners were then required to wear them to and from court.

Inside the prison, new arrivals on murder cases were placed in them 24 hours a day for a period of time and they were then removed. Likewise, prisoners who were caught fighting / drugs etc could be made to wear them for a period of time as a punishment.

I am not up to date with the present procedures in 2016. However, I do believe it was more ' policy ' as opposed to ' law ' that shackles were worn. People must understand they try to follow the USA in many of their routines and procedures with an unhealthy adaptation and their own additions.

Hence, you have all kinds of American jargon,terminology and bastardized interpretations within their laws

The above picture of the young men I can only presume is dated by the chains they are wearing. These chains are not being worn 24/7. These are dirty and rusty and are put on temporarily for transport to court. Those required to wear them 24/7 would be gleaming and sparklingly clean and fastened also at the top of the calf leg so that they do not have to hold the chains with a rope or cord.

Prolonged wearing of filthy chains would lead them to bite into the ankles and infect the wearer and that is why when they wear them for a long period they keep them in immaculate condition.

Edited by Scouse123