The heat is on for heaters

cyberfarang

At 10 or 12 degrees in Europe most people will switch on the Central Heating or light a fire, so why should people in Chiang Mai (other than feeble 87 year-olds) be any different?

Because in Europe, this happens routinely and over more time than a couple of days. And central heating or a fireplace is a built-in feature of a house.

If you want to buy an expensive object that is useful for a couple days a year (or years...that cold front from China might not happen again for years), do it by all means. But don't forget that certain Thais (particularly the ones in the northern mountains) would see this as bolstering the notion that farangs are all filthy rich and, to some degree, decadent.

------------------------------------

12 degrees C is about 54 degrees F

54F-32F (freezing) = 22 degrees F

Therefore, 12 degrees C is 22 degrees F above freezing, which is what I said. No typo.

I`d much rather sit here freezing my nuts off then have certain Thais see this as a notion that Farlangs are all filthy rich and, to some degree, decadent. Who wouldn`t?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 10 or 12 degrees in Europe most people will switch on the Central Heating or light a fire, so why should people in Chiang Mai (other than feeble 87 year-olds) be any different?

Because in Europe, this happens routinely and over more time than a couple of days. And central heating or a fireplace is a built-in feature of a house.

If you want to buy an expensive object that is useful for a couple days a year (or years...that cold front from China might not happen again for years), do it by all means. But don't forget that certain Thais (particularly the ones in the northern mountains) would see this as bolstering the notion that farangs are all filthy rich and, to some degree, decadent.

------------------------------------

12 degrees C is about 54 degrees F

54F-32F (freezing) = 22 degrees F

Therefore, 12 degrees C is 22 degrees F above freezing, which is what I said. No typo.

Why I buy anything, need not concern you, but since you mentioned it - It cost very little and I bought it for my hard-working wife who was really feeling the cold and was extremely happy when I bought it.

For future reference - other than family and friends, I don't give a shit what other people think about me and I have no great need to justify anything I do to hill-tribe people or anonymous, insecure forum members.

I don't give a shit what other people think about me

Haha...yeah, I can tell....

But it might just be you can dust that puppy off again.

From Wunderground:

post-165256-0-37519000-1454601388_thumb.

Even the Thai weather bureau has it getting cold, albeit at a later date. They are saying Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

One large clay flower pot + one smaller clay flower pot + four tea candles and a few stacks of coins or flat tiles a risers.... When set on a low table in the middle of the room, it keeps everything warm as toast, even when it's in single digits outside. Mine stayed hot for about four hours.

For the two days a year that it might get cold enough to need extra heat, this is more than enough. It will NOT heat your house. It will heat a small room. Be sure to have ventilation as it is a fire. I modified this one by NOT sealing the inner pot. Instead, I created a raised surface to rest the outer pot on and sealed that one. This created a convection current that really caused the pots to heat up!

Some folks say this didn't work for them. I suppose if it's -10 and you try to keep your living room at 28° over night it's not going to do the job. It's a small space heater, not a pot-belly stove. It has its limitations. Thailand's winter isn't one of them.

Cyberfarang, even your neighbors will appreciate the frugality of this one!

It is nice to be warm and comfortable brought 2 2kw heaters from the UK so nice to be SMUG and warm after listening to my neighbours tales of sitting watching movies in their coats, not my idea of comfortable living.

Perhaps the next cold spell you could go to your local noodle stall and warm yourselves up on the gas cooker , that would be saving money!! especially if you could barter them down 5 baht on a bowl of noodles that really would be the icing on the cake.

Serious Canadian accent, eh?

I think I will try that. Nice tip. If my house burns down I will let you know from an internet cafe....

Bingo! That's just what I'm going to set up in the middle of the tile floor of the condo during the next cold spell. Don't worry, all you who live in the same building -- I won't leave it on when we go to bed!

It's back to being 10-11c at night again for the next few nights so it's time to dig out those clay-pots, woks, tin-cans, sticks and candles and what-not for the neanderthals, and time to plug in the heater for the rest of us!! Only joking of course, but primarily to have a little dig at those people here that feel compelled to slate anyone that might actually spend money on life's small luxuries. I was even beginning to wonder when somebody was going to butt in with a suggestion as to how to light those contraptions without splashing out on a lighter or a full box of matches. It's not like anyone is going to need that many matches, what with there only being 3 or 4 cold days a year.

I don't know why but a quote from The Hitchikers Guide to The Galaxy came to mind

"We'll be saying a big hello to all intelligent lifeforms everywhere - and to everyone else out there, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys."