British woman takes her first steps in Thailand after international response to blood appeal

webfact

Lucy Hill takes her first steps in Thailand after international response to blood appeal
BY BETH ABBIT

The graduate, from Bury, was injured in a moped crash in Bangkok - but is now out of intensive car and standing up

BANGKOK: -- A graduate who was injured in a moped crash in Thailand has taken her first steps out of her hospital bed after receiving a life-saving blood transfusion.

Lucy Hill, from Bury, suffered a broken pelvis and a brain haemorrhage following the collision in Bangkok on Saturday, December 9.

She was just six days into the trip of a lifetime when the car collided with her moped in Chiang Mai.

Lucy, 21, was left in an anaemic condition so friends and family launched an international appeal to find the rare blood Lucy needed to pull through.

Western travellers and ex-pats were asked to donate ‘A Negative’ blood - which is a very rare in Thailand as fewer than one per cent of Thai people have ‘negative’ blood types.

Full story: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/lucy-hill-thailand-first-steps-10789525

-- Manchester Evening News 2016-01-27

Most Thais would ignore an appeal for help from anyone who is not Thai.

Nonsense. Some people (irrespective of race, colour or creed) might ignore appeals for help from other people, because they're dicks. But to make a sweeping, ignorant statement such as yours is just utterly wrong. Most people here would be more likely to help a person, than ignore them. Just like most other people the world over.

You really are a glass half empty person aren't you?

I'd still be interested to know the circumstances of the accident... As far as I know she was hit by a car that came across the median, but she should not be there in the first place in a country like Thailand - where the safest place is the extreme left, riding on the shoulder of the road.

This, of course, contrary to Europe , where I was taught to " claim my position in the middle of the lane" on my motorbike.

In view of the many, many motocy accidents that befall young tourists (often even driving without a license!!) it might be an idea to emphasize the dangers, and do's and dont's when riding a bike in Thailand more through the social media.

This is good news, and I hope Lucy can continue on the path to a full recovery.

Why do so many posters immediately rush in with dumb negativity, like noitom did? It really is unnecessary and makes one look like a horse's ass.

Having a rare blood type is a bummer. I'm happy for the girl she is making a recovery and that the blood drive was a success.

It is my firm belief that if you are able to, you have a duty to donate blood reguarly. I myself have a fairly ordinary bloodtype (A+) but I provide my portion to the Red Cross at least twice a year. It is simply the right thing to do.

It is BS to say that the Thais would ignore appeal for blood if it was a foreigner - they might overly scared of needles, yes - but a lot of people I know try to donate regularly, and they couldn't care less who receives the blood. Remember there was a big line of volunteers outside Red Cross when dengue was hitting hard some weeks ago.

little confused when I read

"Lucy Hill, from Bury, suffered a broken pelvis and a brain haemorrhage following the collision in Bangkok on Saturday, December 9.

She was just six days into the trip of a lifetime when the car collided with her moped in Chiang Mai."

little confused when I read

"Lucy Hill, from Bury, suffered a broken pelvis and a brain haemorrhage following the collision in Bangkok on Saturday, December 9.

She was just six days into the trip of a lifetime when the car collided with her moped in Chiang Mai."

Me too

I'd still be interested to know the circumstances of the accident... As far as I know she was hit by a car that came across the median, but she should not be there in the first place in a country like Thailand - where the safest place is the extreme left, riding on the shoulder of the road.

This, of course, contrary to Europe , where I was taught to " claim my position in the middle of the lane" on my motorbike.

In view of the many, many motocy accidents that befall young tourists (often even driving without a license!!) it might be an idea to emphasize the dangers, and do's and dont's when riding a bike in Thailand more through the social media.

agreed.

Some years ago I had the daylights scared out of me, as I was on a motor bike, I signalled very clearly that I was turning right on to a side street, and proceeded to the centre of the road.

I checked the mirror before turning, and then saw a semi-trailer bearing down on my right, overtaking. I stopped and let him steam through. I was amazed that anyone could be so totally stupid. Heaven help anyone else coming down in the opposite direction, let alone me on a motor bike!.

The owner of the lodge I was staying at, told me this was quite common in Thailand.

The fact that poor Lucy is up out of her hospital bed is great news, & on reading that there was a queue of folk ready to donate blood to help her is

uplifting too.

Shifting back to her accident..I do see now on a regular basis women on motorcycles stationary against the left-hand kerb with their right-hand indicator flashing..this confuses the **** out of many motorists coming up from behind..me included, BUT.

I think maybe the lady herself has had a close shave by indicating and moving to the centre of the road to make a right turn, so now chooses the option of sitting

kerb-bound till the road is clear.

The message to parents of gap year students should be to drum in the twin points of;

- Adequate travel insurance (it pays parents to buy it!) &

- Don't hire or ride in anything with less than 4 wheels and a roof.

Bills can exceed a mid-range mortgage for any that flout the above.

agreed.

Some years ago I had the daylights scared out of me, as I was on a motor bike, I signalled very clearly that I was turning right on to a side street, and proceeded to the centre of the road.

I checked the mirror before turning, and then saw a semi-trailer bearing down on my right, overtaking. I stopped and let him steam through. I was amazed that anyone could be so totally stupid. Heaven help anyone else coming down in the opposite direction, let alone me on a motor bike!.

The owner of the lodge I was staying at, told me this was quite common in Thailand.

I no longer ride a bike because of the danger. When I did ride I found it helpful to give very clear bicycle-style hand signals ("I'm going thaattt wayyyy!") as well as an indicator. It made a noticeable difference, not least because it confirmed that my indicator hadn't simply not been cancelled after a previous turn. Where possible I also tried to make eye contact with the idiot at the wheel.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

agreed.

Yes it is,frequently when in a pickup with the right indicator on in centre of my lane motorcycles will overtake. Since they are the ones who will get hurt,and it's a matter of common sense rather than training to envisage the outcome I can only conclude that this is an IQ issue. The only surprising thing is the number with this deficient IQ

I was living in Chiang Mai when the tsunami struck and an appeal went out for blood donations. My wife and I went to the hospital to find THOUSANDS of Thai people who had come to give blood. There were even hilltribe people there. Given that much of the appeal was to help the foreigners I doubt that the Thais were just there for their countrymen. I was staggered by the numbers and the attitude of the people. Good people are good people no matter their colour or creed

Most Thais would ignore an appeal for help from anyone who is not Thai.

Nonsense. Some people (irrespective of race, colour or creed) might ignore appeals for help from other people, because they're dicks. But to make a sweeping, ignorant statement such as yours is just utterly wrong. Most people here would be more likely to help a person, than ignore them. Just like most other people the world over.

You really are a glass half empty person aren't you?

No, I think he is a brain half empty person.

This is good news, and I hope Lucy can continue on the path to a full recovery.

Why do so many posters immediately rush in with dumb negativity, like noitom did? It really is unnecessary and makes one look like a horse's ass.

It would be still interesting why she did not have travel insurance regardless if she is A neg pure insanity

Wow