Ebay purchasing from Thailand.

sebastion

Seems now that many sellers from America and the UK won't ship to Thailand anymore. Some even ask for the Duty in advance and payable when purchasing the item.

One seller even went as far to say it's just too bigger hassle as duties and taxes add up to more than the cost of the item and buyers refuse to sign for the item at the post office and he is left out of pocket through paypal refunds and negative feedback.

Customs greed has ruined one easy way for me to shop for the hard to get things.

I bought a motorbike helmet for my very large head that came to around 10,000 baht ($349 usd) The taxes, vat and duties it came to 11,900 baht. More than the helmet itself.

I now believe they just see a western name on the box and overcharge thinking we will just accept it.

My Thai friend says this is probably the case as he buys things from ebay and sometimes not charged tax at all, even for bike parts.

I was under the impression it was 30% import tax plus vat. Not 110%

Does anyone have a table on the duties on imported items?

Thanks.

Only once over the years have we paid what I thought was an unfair tax.....

Everything comes addressed to my wife's name showing first with her last (our/married) name hyphenated...

If it's one of the vendors that opted for the duty collect at purchase I find one that doesn't and it comes unencumbered.....That collect duty up front appears to be a scam to me....

Edited by pgrahmm

Everything comes addressed to my wife's name showing first with her last (our/married) name hyphenated...

Thanks for the reply.

I think thats the way around it. I will need to get my Thai friend to order the items through his account from now on but still that won't change the fact that many sellers refuse to ship to Thailand anymore.

I want to buy a a Akropovic pipe for my bike and i can't find one seller on Ebay that will ship it here. I mailed them pleading to make an exception and they just flat out refuse.

I've tried sourcing it locally and it's impossible to find a bike shop to get one in.

Thailand has become the Nigeria of Asia.

If it's one of the vendors that opted for the duty collect at purchase I find one that doesn't and it comes unencumbered.....That collect duty up front appears to be a scam to me....

I will give you an example.

Note the import duties sellers are asking for in advance. I don't trust it but that't the only way some sellers will ship the stuff to Thailand.

Once i change my region, the import duties no longer remain in place.

Customs has made it that much more difficult.

post-182515-14538639403291_thumb.jpg

Edited by sebastion

Note this helmet.

The cost is a little over 3000 baht

It's $40 shipping which is reasonable but then note the $75 upfront import duty.

This is the only way most sellers will ship here.

They are fed up with unhappy customers being held to ransom with taxes surpassing the value of the item.

Many buyers just ditch the item and don't sign for it and make a claim through paypal that they didn't get the item.

post-182515-14538643046821_thumb.jpg

Most US sellers do not know there is a world outside the 48 states (yes most just think Alaska is nuts due to a former politician and Hawaii due to Macadamias). Those that ship internationally for the most part are scam (low price - high postage). And now as they have no idea what customs is they can add that to the charges thanks to courier companies having governmental contracts - and of course these are at highest favorable rates for them.

Thailand rates will vary by item if shipped by normal means - but for quick clearance fixed charges are often reasonable and justified. But there are more than a few sellers using this excuse to make there Nigeria profits - nothing to do with Thailand. If we wanted to buy at US price we should have stayed there - and paid the school tax, the property tax, the emergency services tax, the highway tax, the sales tax and the other page or two added to most utility bills these days.

I have size XXL for helmets. Bought one last weekend at saphan kwai, under the bts station. It's an INDEX size L that fits me, was too lazy to go check all neighbourshops.

Problem is that if i close the visor totally it works as a lens and i can't see straight through it. So i don't close it totally and then can use it. It also has built in sunglasses...for 1000 baht i still like it. If you need bigger size then check out all those motocy shops under saphan kwai.

For the rest i buy everything abroad, don't want to play games with thai customs. Next trip for shopping is Tokio. Do they have your pipe there?

Most US sellers do not know there is a world outside the 48 states (yes most just think Alaska is nuts due to a former politician and Hawaii due to Macadamias). Those that ship internationally for the most part are scam (low price - high postage). And now as they have no idea what customs is they can add that to the charges thanks to courier companies having governmental contracts - and of course these are at highest favorable rates for them.

Thailand rates will vary by item if shipped by normal means - but for quick clearance fixed charges are often reasonable and justified. But there are more than a few sellers using this excuse to make there Nigeria profits - nothing to do with Thailand. If we wanted to buy at US price we should have stayed there - and paid the school tax, the property tax, the emergency services tax, the highway tax, the sales tax and the other page or two added to most utility bills these days.

I think you missed the point and didnt read my original post.

Customs is charging more than the price of the items in Thailand. Buyers don't like it and refuse to sign for the item which in turn gives negative feedback to the seller when a paypal claim is made.

Now U.S and UK sellers are collecting it upfront to combat that problem or they just flat out refuse to ship to Thailand anymore.

This isn't a U.S issue, it's a Thailand one.

Customs greed is prevelant as the officers recieve a percentage of duties collected.

I have size XXL for helmets. Bought one last weekend at saphan kwai, under the bts station. It's an INDEX size L that fits me, was too lazy to go check all neighbourshops.

Problem is that if i close the visor totally it works as a lens and i can't see straight through it. So i don't close it totally and then can use it. It also has built in sunglasses...for 1000 baht i still like it. If you need bigger size then check out all those motocy shops under saphan kwai.

For the rest i buy everything abroad, don't want to play games with thai customs. Next trip for shopping is Tokio. Do they have your pipe there?

I don't want the ice cream container helmets that are made here. I want something that is DOT approved to at least western standards.

I don't want the ice cream container helmets that are made here. I want something that is DOT approved to at least western standards.

Then buy a Shoei in TH

Customs has a duty list and charge is based on that (plus shipping charges/VAT) - this varies by item class but is not normally anything near to being more than the actual cost. But sellers can say anything to make an excuse or to excuse there greed.

Customs has a duty list and charge is based on that (plus shipping charges/VAT) - this varies by item class but is not normally anything near to being more than the actual cost. But sellers can say anything to make an excuse or to excuse there greed.

Sellers are doing it because they are getting stung on this end.

They weren't asking for import duties up front even 6 months ago.

Most don't even bother to ship here anymore as they treat it as a scam country like some African and South American countries they refuse to ship to.

Then buy a Shoei in TH

Look pretty stupid wearing a Shoei on a Harley.

Then buy a Shoei in TH

Look pretty stupid wearing a Shoei on a Harley.

Oh well, if you want a safe helmet then Shoei is the one.....Harleys always look stupid to me because it's more noise then power, my stupid scooter is faster and more convenient then a harley and no noise at all.

But if i order online and have to pay tax in advance i won't buy it at all. You better go see the big bike shops like big wing, they have import stuff on the shelves. A helmet i wouldn't buy online anyway because i want to fit it first with my big head. And even if it fits i have to see if my nose doesn't touch the visor, that happens sometimes.

But now i have the Index and it doesn't fit under the buddyseat, i have to take everything out, even the toolset and then it fits. I like the sunglasses-visor though but the wind can still come under it.

Most don't even bother to ship here anymore as they treat it as a scam country like some African and South American countries they refuse to ship to.

Sellers don't get stung if you refuse to pay the import duty. They have been paid and will have precise tracking details that will show that you refused the shipment, so paypal will not refund you.

The global shipping program where they pre charge for duties is a scam.

Sellers don't get stung if you refuse to pay the import duty. They have been paid and will have precise tracking details that will show that you refused the shipment, so paypal will not refund you.

If you don't sign for it, it's not considered delivered. Thailand customs hold and end up confiscating it because they don't return to sender.

Then the buyer has every right to a refund.

If you don't sign for it, it's not considered delivered. Thailand customs hold and end up confiscating it because they don't return to sender.

I guess it's buyers like you that make sellers reluctant to ship internationally.

I guess it's buyers like you that make sellers reluctant to ship internationally.

Huh?? Great assumption.

I have never done that but it's the reasons sellers don't want to ship here. People don't want to pay more tax than the item is worth so they don't sign for it.

Customs department has made it unattractive to purchase things from overseas and have it shipped here to be at the mercy of whatever they decide what the item is worth. They never take the invoice value as proof of value.

Yes,

I've never had a problem with people willing to send things to Thailand and I would estimate that I'm only charged duty on about 1 in 5 things. Most things come directly to my condo office without any hassle. When I am charged duty it's always been a fair amount, especially considering all the things that I got with no duty paid ... and I use my farang name on all parcels.

Ebay talked some sellers in the US into using their Global Shiping program where duty is prepaid and which is a rip off by eBay, not Thai customs. In some cases I contacted the dealer and told him/her I'd buy from them if they shipped by the post office without the prepaid duty. Some agreed, some didn't.

Some other sellers like Lands End in the US have started using a similar service. I've informed such sellers that that "service" is a ripoff and that I'll use a dealer who ships through the post office. Only once was I charged any duty on shipments from Land's End, but the new service offered by them wanted to charge me nearly 100% for prepaid duty and shipping. I switched to Land's End in UK. They shipped through the post office, which was only a few pounds and no customs duty charged.

Couriers like Fedex or DHL are also a problem. They'll make sure you pay the maximum customs duty on everything they deliver. Again, that's the courier services that are screwing with their customers, not Thai customs. And using the Thai post office over the past 10 years I have NEVER had anything sent to or by me go missing ... literally hundreds of things over that time period.

Edited by Suradit69

if you had of paid another 600 thb you could have gotten a much safer approved helmet from the REAL company :

http://www.real-helmets.com/2014/product.php

very good value from 1600thb upwards

those skid lids from index are better than nothing ,but thats as highly as i could rate them .......

It isn't just Foreigners but also Thai people getting it in the neck. I would not be surprised if they have a list of people known to send items of value. My wife gets every single item opened, and is tariff ed on every single item. Even the half used perfume bottles are taxed as if they are full bottles. And these customs officers will not negotiate or hear reason.

It isn't just us white/brown/black skins they are picking on, but the yellow ones too. It is a fault with the system over taxing indescriminantly based on the person and not anything else I would say.

It isn't just Foreigners but also Thai people getting it in the neck. I would not be surprised if they have a list of people known to send items of value. My wife gets every single item opened, and is tariff ed on every single item. Even the half used perfume bottles are taxed as if they are full bottles. And these customs officers will not negotiate or hear reason.

It isn't just us white/brown/black skins they are picking on, but the yellow ones too. It is a fault with the system over taxing indescriminantly based on the person and not anything else I would say.

Farang Names get targeted more

We shop online a lot and if i put my name it seems to get hit more often than than a thai name

the best thing you can do ,if the seller agrees is copy paste the name and address in thai script

and let them print that on the package ......some sellers will agree no problem ,others wont but its

worth a try

I have an Anglo name and order from eBay using it. When having things shipped to my condo, I never get taxed by Customs on items, but I have never ordered anything very expensive.

Interestingly, when shipping to my office, they always taxed it. That said, the Customs tariff was fair and according to the published tariff schedule, paid at the post office, and I received an office receipt with the charges itemised.

Maybe I am missing something here. Nearly all countries have import duties. What is wrong with Thai Customs applying theirs to eBay imports, so long as it is accurate?

When I arrived in Thailand I spent many hours comparing prices for ten different products on online buying site.

The review has allowed me to eliminate definitely Amazon and Ebay.

The reason is simple: There is no import tax in Thailand for products from China. As often these products are made in this country the gap is sometimes huge.

In conclusion, Aliexpress produced for lightweight that can be sent by post if one is not hurry and all other Lazada.

I do not know what the duty should be but many items have arrived and no duty seemed to be required....

I am more concerned by the reliability of the mail delivery service......

I do keep it to small and cheap items. Larger things I obtain when in the UK.

Edited by jacko45k

This is not exclusive to ebay. Many online retailers are collecting the duty in advance as it makes it easier to sell their product. Amazon has been doing it as well.

They all use Pitney Bowes Global Trade Solutions for this service. http://www.dutycalculator.com/

The issue is: sellers can select the shipping charge that Pitney Bowes adds to the customs fee. If you look at 2 sellers selling the same product, one may charge $10. and the other $30. for the same product. Shipping charges are added to the customs and tax calculation which increases the end user cost. Check the link above to get the duty cost per product shipped to Thailand.