Apartments in California about to be destroyed by coastal erosion

I know the area. Those aren't movies stars. Regular people live there. Yeah, they probably shouldn't have ever built on the cliff like that, but I don't get the gleeful emoji about this.

Government seems to be a bunch of sleeping idiots, they could have rebuild elsewhere long time ago. Weird that they allow this to happen, including the polution of the sea that easy could be avoided. Incompetent idiots.

I know the area. Those aren't movies stars. Regular people live there. Yeah, they probably shouldn't have ever built on the cliff like that, but I don't get the gleeful emoji about this.

Government seems to be a bunch of sleeping idiots, they could have rebuild elsewhere long time ago. Weird that they allow this to happen, including the polution of the sea that easy could be avoided. Incompetent idiots.

I see you removed the HAPPY MOCKING emoji you posted before as if you got joy from hearing about other people's suffering. Better late than never.

I see you removed the HAPPY MOCKING emoji you posted before as if you got joy from hearing about other people's suffering. Better late than never.

It was not the emo I had in mind cuz can't preview them on mobile. No need to make a fuzz about an emo btw.

Pacifica is a hidden little seaside jewel just south of SF....

Nice little beach/golf course and some good places to eat....

It's a short drive to a relaxing place that hasn't allowed itself to be over commercialized.....

Those cliffs are on the north side & are sandstone....Beautiful views but they never should have built that close to the edge....That's about the only place in the area they could have built that close.....

Shame for the folks that had to move but at least they didn't go over the edge in middle of the night....

The eroding seaside cliffs, in the north central/northern "land of fruits & nuts", is 60 year-old geological surveyed news. As usual, average people don't believe that fat meat is really greasy, until after they've tasted it. Duh!

Again, Fools Rush In, where wise people fear to tread. No sympathy forthcoming from this quarter.coffee1.gif

I have lived in California at various times since 1982. My first year here there was a huge el nino winter. Coming from the Northeast I thought nothing of it and the rain wasn't that bad. the Lompoc river was raging. Soon the main road to Vandenberg AFB got washed out. A few el nino cycles later up north of Santa Monica on the beautiful Pacific Coast Highway you would drive there and see entire hill sides covered in plastic sheets as the people tried to get the rain water to run off. Silly idea that might work for a little while but give it a year or a decade and no good will come of it. Much of the California coast is just pushed up sand. The ground here is not granite and rock based like we have back in New England. So given time, the sand just gets washed away. I am in the Northern San Diego area now, and I see some stunning houses perched on hill tops or house that have magnificent views overlooking the canyons here. But they are on a precipice. If they are lucky the houses will survive long enough for their lifetime but good luck selling them. Remember the old classic Johnny Carson show? One dialogue went something like this: " oh things are fine here. The floods and mudslides from the earthquake have put out the wildfires".

Pacifica is a hidden little seaside jewel just south of SF....

Nice little beach/golf course and some good places to eat....

It's a short drive to a relaxing place that hasn't allowed itself to be over commercialized.....

Those cliffs are on the north side & are sandstone....Beautiful views but they never should have built that close to the edge....That's about the only place in the area they could have built that close.....

Shame for the folks that had to move but at least they didn't go over the edge in middle of the night....

I agree Pacifica is or was at least somewhat of a " hidden little seaside jewel just south of SF".

I know several people who live there. Pacifica has some nice days weather during the year but to a great extent the saying about Daly City applies in which children don't know there's a sun until they have a chance to drive outside the general area of the city. Both are shrouded in FOG!