where to go for perscription glasses?

speedtripler

I recently had an eye test at rutnin and the doctor said i should really be wearing glasses for stuff like motorcycle

riding and reading because my vision is a bit blurry etc

She said i can get them made same day at rutnin hospital shop or she can give me the report of my eye test and

get them made wherever i want because they will know the sppecifications i need from the test results ........

should i go back to rutnin and do it there or is there anywhere else that could do the same job cheaper ?

(ive never bought glasses before so have no idea what way it works but i see many opticians in every shopping mall etc but i dont know much about them )

Pretty much any shop which sells glasses - you choose and pay for your frames, you choose the types of lens you like (i.e. extra thin, non-scratch, non glare, tinted etc.. many different types of lens material these days), you give them your prescription and pick up your glasses a couple of days later.

I've bought 2 pair in Thailand: 10,000 baht each (aprox) or $300.
They are around $600 in the states for basically the same glasses.

I got an eye test last year and bought a pair online (Progressive lenses) for $96. (company called OZeal, but it took a while and I was getting worried about them)

Finally got them:
The lenses are OK, but the frames don't fit so great.

If I had bought them here, I would take them back to get adjusted.
But feel a little guilty trying it, so I got used to them.
But someday I will stop in at a shop and see how much they want to bend the earpieces a bit. (if it is even possible)

I tried it myself after soaking them in boiling water, but was still afraid I would break them.

The most reasonable shops that I've found in Bangkok are Better Vision in Emquartier and Infinite Eyewear in Central World. You must bargain hard. I was able to get very nice gold frames at Infinite Optical for 3,000 and top-of-the-line Hoya progressive transisions lenses for 23,000. Better Vision will get you top-of-the-lne Seiko lenses for the same price but you must wait three weeks for them. The Hoya glasses are the best I've ever owned. They are extremely clear, change to a deep gray within seconds of being exposed to UV light and are oleophobic (don't easily get greasy.) Of course, if you only need single vision lenses, they will be much, much cheaper. Keep in mind that you will get the quality that you pay for and you have to live with the glasses every day. If you can afford it, it would be good to get high-quality glasses. I particularly like the male technician at Infinite Optical who spent about 45 minutes adjusting my new frames to get them just right. In case you decide to get bifocals, be aware that bifocals with the line in the lens are MUCH cheaper than progressives. From your stated use of motorcycle riding and reading, it appears that you will be wanting bifocals with a distance focus and near focus. What does your prescription look like?

BTW, it's a good idea to spend the time and effort required to get frames and lenses that you really like. Also be aware that many optical shops outrageously overcharge. If you ask for feedback about the prices that you are quoted on TV it would be a good idea. Good luck.

Archived