Why no metered car taxis?

Hal65

I dispute that they EVER used the meters, even from the start.

I checked this out starting from the beginning months that Pattaya taxi "meters" arrived in town.

I approached a number of taxis asking a metered ride and they all said, no way, and when I asked them what's up, they got very hostile.

Later on I did use a charter on one of those cars and happened to get a very friendly driver. We had a long discussion and he said he understood very well he would make more money if he could roam and it was known it was a metered system, but he made it very clear there were strong forces making that NOT POSSIBLE. So a rogue meter user not allowed ... use you imagination about that one.

Edited by Jingthing

It's no better in Bangkok

as a Farang, getting metered taxis even in Bangkok has become increasingly difficult, especially in touristy areas, they see white skin and expect an easy rip-off, a 100-200 baht might seem like a few euros or dollars to naive tourist....

Try speaking Thai to them and they'd reject you.

It has gotten to the extent that the Taxis will reject Thai passengers for a chance of picking up tourist instead.

I've known of a single blue and yellow taxi that uses the meter in Pattaya, but he only do so when picking up regular passengers that has phoned him or a security guard at a condo called him... never from a rank or when flagged down (No I don't have his number but the security at my condo has)

For Bangkok taxis after they've dropped their fare of in Pattaya, there is a few rank that they can go and queue up to get jobs for the return leg to Bangkok, I've heard stories of clueless Bangkok taxis that dare picked up fare off the streets of Pattaya to Jomtien and thus attracted the wrath of the local taxis... it's clear what kind of town we're in

Edited by digbeth