Anyway To Get Around The 400K Baht In Bank To Get Marriage Visa?

• If you want a multiple entry non 'O' visa you can get one in Savannakhet without the need to provide any financial proof. You need to exit every 90 days but it can give you nearly 17 months before needing a new visa or 1 year extension of stay.

If you want a 1 extension of stay based on marriage they will accept a certified income the equivalent to 40k pm. You need an affidavit from your Embassy.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

But what I most dislike in Thailand regarding the visa situation is that there are different rules for male and female foreigner.

Farang lady with an Isan car park attendant, which makes just 8ktongue.png a month is no plomplemthumbsup.gif , but Farang Hubby with a Isan lady sad.png the poor sod must have the cash in the bank or make 40k a month. Where is the logic iin that? Gender discrimination IMHO.

I don't any normal person would disagree with that.

It is wrong.

Discrimination against Thai Women.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

whistling.gif It may not be fair, but in Thailand the norm is still for a Male to support the Female he is married to.

So a foreign male married to a Thai female is still expected to be the "breadwinner" and support his wife.

In that way it is still the 1950's in Thailand where hubby works and the wife stays home.

At least that is what is expected to be the "norm".

• Like 2

You don't need evidence of money in the bank if you arrange your non-immigrant O visa in the UK before you travel to Thailand or when next you make a visit back home. I don't know why anyone bothers to apply for/renew their O visa in Thailand when many Thai consulates and embassies around the world don't require a bank statement for the application. The extension of marriage visa at district (amphur) immigration offices in Thailand is also complicated and time-consuming as offices and officers within offices have different requirements and these requirements change frequently without notice and it's just not worth the effort traveling down there. I simply get a new 1-year multiple entry visa every year on my annual home leave at my local Thai consulate. The application submission process normally takes a few minutes if all the docs are in order, and I can pick it up in a few days. Saves the nonsense at the local immigration office here in Thailand.

People getting married that do not even have $13,300?

Unbelievable, yet anything is possible in Thailand

People get married on a lot less than that in the USA. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

They get married having less than that ANYWHERE for that matter.

• Like 2

This costs you 5,000 Baht and requires you to leave the country every 90 days.

An extension at Thai Immigration costs 1,900 Baht, is quick and simple to do and means you can stay in Thailand for 12 months without leaving.

No contest in my opinion but whatever suits you.

I was under the impression that with a multiple type o you do not physically need to leave the country, just report to immigration every 90 days in the same way as for an extension of stay.

whistling.gif There are two different things we are talking about here.

You can get a non O Visa in your home country....and depending on the country the Thai consulate there may not require you to show financial requirements to get that visa.

That visa may be could for one year and multiple entries... each entry will get you a 90 day stay.

When I first came to Thailand to retire that it what I got.

But to STAY here as a retiree for 5 years....THAT is an extension on my original visa....and that is where the financial requirements come in..

The visa that brings you to Thailand, which may be obtained in your home country with no financial requirements and the annual extension that does have a financial requirement are two different things.

That applies both to a retiree, like myself, as well as to someone who marries a Thai and lives here with her for several years.

The Visa that brings a person to Thailand and the extension that keeps that person living legally in Thailand legally for many years are two different things and have different requirements.

The two are like Lemons and Oranges....basically the same idea....but different.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

An extension at Thai Immigration costs 1,900 Baht, is quick and simple to do and means you can stay in Thailand for 12 months without leaving.

I was under the impression that with a multiple type o you do not physically need to leave the country, just report to immigration every 90 days in the same way as for an extension of stay.

A multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa, will give you a 90 day permission to stay stamp on each entry, you do not have to report to immigration every 90 days but you do need to leave Thailand at the end of this permission to stay stamp, unless you extend this stamp at local immigration office.

A multi entry non immigrant 'o''a' visa ( do not get the 2 mixed up) will give you a one year permission to stay stamp on each entry, you do have to report to local immigration each 90 days, and at the end of the one year stamp you will have to leave thailand a few days before the actual visa ( not the permission to stay stamp) expires to receive a fresh one year stamp, unless you receive an extension of that stamp at local immigration office.

A non immigrant 'o''a' visa is only obtained in your home country, has lots of hoops attached to its issue, some embassies call it a retirement visa.

A visa only allows a 90 entry which means you have to leave the country. The 90 day reports are only done if you can stay longer than 90 days they do not give you another 90 days of stay.

so savannakhet it is then if i dont need to show any financial proof. what do i need to take with me there in order to get the non imm o? what do i also need to do in bangkok before i go? for e.g register marriage etc. thanks in advance guys aprecciate it

You don't need evidence of money in the bank if you arrange your non-immigrant O visa in the UK before you travel to Thailand or when next you make a visit back home. I don't know why anyone bothers to apply for/renew their O visa in Thailand when many Thai consulates and embassies around the world don't require a bank statement for the application. The extension of marriage visa at district (amphur) immigration offices in Thailand is also complicated and time-consuming as offices and officers within offices have different requirements and these requirements change frequently without notice and it's just not worth the effort traveling down there. I simply get a new 1-year multiple entry visa every year on my annual home leave at my local Thai consulate. The application submission process normally takes a few minutes if all the docs are in order, and I can pick it up in a few days. Saves the nonsense at the local immigration office here in Thailand.

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but isn't this wildly out of date for the UK ? The only category of person who can get a Non-O from the Thai Embassy in the UK (London) without ANY financial proof now is a state pensioner ? Info gratefully received - Ubonjoe ? All other categories need to show cash in the bank ?

so savannakhet it is then if i dont need to show any financial proof. what do i need to take with me there in order to get the non imm o? what do i also need to do in bangkok before i go? for e.g register marriage etc. thanks in advance guys aprecciate it

After you get married to apply for the visa you will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of you wife's house book registry and ID card.

You will need to do an affirmation of permit to marry at the UK embassy. Info here. https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/ceremony_country/partner_local/opposite_sex

Then it has to be translated to Thai and certified by the MFA.. Most translation services can get the MFA certification done for you.

Then you go to an Amphoe to register your marriage.

I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but isn't this wildly out of date for the UK ? The only category of person who can get a Non-O from the Thai Embassy in the UK (London) without ANY financial proof now is a state pensioner ? Info gratefully received - Ubonjoe ? All other categories need to show cash in the bank ?

The embassy in London does not ask for financial proof to get a multiple entry non-o based upon marriage. Same for the consulates with the exception of Hull.

• Like 1

People getting married that do not even have $13,300?

Unbelievable, yet anything is possible in Thailand

People get married on a lot less than that in the USA. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

At home it's fine.

But to start life in a foreign country?

(I guess then you are inviting trouble to start knocking at your front door)

Savannakhet you need

copy + ORIGINAL marriage certificate (original returned immediately before paying), needs to be in either English or Thai.

copy of spouse thai id card,

copy of housebook registration (tambien baan) page with spouse's name/id listed,

copy of passport photo/signature page,

2 passport photos,

thai visa application,

5000 baht.

All copies need to be signed by yourself or spouse.

Drop off in morning. Next day afternoon pickup. I do not know if there is rush service or agents that can assist.

Penang only need copy of marriage cert. Financial proof >100k thb equivalent can be a non-thai bank.

Edited by 4evermaat