Dozens of new traffic regulations take effect in Bangkok

webfact

Dozens of new traffic regulations take effect
By Urasin Khantaraphan

n1-traffic1.jpg
Two dozen new traffic regulations took effect Jan. 25 aimed at thwarting street racers and curbing vehicle-registration fraud. The vast majority of the new prohibitions relate to illegal modification of cars, usually done by street racers or those adding large stereo systems to park on or cruise local streets, but the new Land Traffic Act does increase punishment and fines for almost all offenses. (Photo by Urasin Khantaraphan)

BANGKOK: -- Two dozen new traffic regulations took effect Jan. 25 aimed at thwarting street racers and curbing vehicle-registration fraud.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Adul Narongsak, deputy commissioner of Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau, announced the new initiatives Jan. 21.

He said minor offenses increased to 32,412 through November with most citations made for parking in prohibited areas. Serious traffic violations totaled 20,142 through November with driving the wrong way the most common offense.

n the same period, more than 40,000 people were cited for safety-related offenses including not wearing seat belts or not wearing motorcycle helmets. More than 6,500 people were cited from driving motorbikes on sidewalks.

The new Land Traffic Act increases punishment and fines. For example, not wearing helmets, parking in a prohibited area and/or driving the wrong way will see fines increase to 1,000 baht from as little as 200 baht now.

The vast majority of the new prohibitions relate to illegal modification of cars, usually done by street racers or those adding large stereo systems to park on or cruise local streets. Examples include lowering or raising the chassis, oversized wheels, extra lights or windows replaced with rollbars. In most cases, fines will be 2,000 or less.

Full story: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/dozens-of-new-traffic-regulations-take-effect-55267

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-01-29 footer_n.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was with some friends driving home just after dark last night on Sukhumvit here in Pattaya. We started counting the number of drivers without helmets. Gave up as there were just too many. So, being stuck in a bit of traffic, decided to county those without helmets AND no tail light. After 10 minutes we were well over 20.

New laws mean nothing unless they are properly enforced.

more than 40,000 people were cited for safety-related offenses

Me thinks that in a country with 65+ million, going by what you see daily being the norm for just about anybody....that this is just a tiny itsy bitsy too little of a number? Yea sure, only Bangkok, but that's still like, what, 8 million plus?

But yea, beating a dead horse again. Just more news that try to make us think it's finally attempting another step in the right direction, yet we already don't expect anything to happen.

What is your guys' biggest gripe btw?

I've come to _really_ hate those people who flash me to proclaim their priority when I've been at full stop for well over 5 seconds already waiting for that moron to pass, that is, if speed/distance (aka safety first mentality) aren't in my favor. I'm currently trying to make a habit of flashing back...thinking of choking the engine to scare jump them, but.... /sigh

The only people to be pleased with more laws, will be the BIB,they will

put their prices up to 500 THB, from 200, I think there are just as many

motor bikes without rear lights ,as there are riders without helmets.

regards Worgeordie

Is there any PDF file in Thai (English is best) regarding these modifications?

Technically even changing the alloys on a car is a modification so would like to know what is legal and what isn't.

Is there any PDF file in Thai (English is best) regarding these modifications?

Technically even changing the alloys on a car is a modification so would like to know what is legal and what isn't.

better sell the 350Z real quick mate tongue.png

I reckon at any given time, there would be at least 40K riders in greater Bangkok that are riding without helmets. Just enforcing the law would net millions for the BiB in a short space of time...but in the long run their income would dry up.

guess they will have to buy new uniforms with bigger pockets to hold all the extra money.

at the end of the day, it will be the same old dog and pony show. be over in a week or two.

who is going to enforce the laws, police??? ha,ha,ha. no time to enforce laws too busy counting money.

who is going to issue the police tickets for no helmet and driving on the sidewalk and wrong side of road.

it starts to get old, all the work up about some new laws, when they do not enforce the ones they already have.

on the street where i live you could easily count 500 offenders a day, on a slow day. no helmets, wrong side of the street, sidewalk and lets see how many people we can get on a motor-scooter!!!

i love the riding, smsing and talking on the phone, smoking a cigarette and a passenger on the back and of course no helmet going the wrong way on the street.