FYI Annual Retirement extension

• 2 months later...

Samui Immigration- A Rugby Scrum!

Having prepared all documents I was somewhat taken aback at the chaotic shambles I encountered this morning and aborted after just 20 mins. There were simply too many people trying to use an office no bigger than a phone box & offering no protection from the heat or humidity for those stuck outside; be they elderly, disabled or with children.

If anyone has successfully renewed their annual extn since 01 Mar can they please clarify the following:

- Where do you get the Queue numbers from this week? What else happens at that desk?

- Is it possible to renew up to 45 days early and purchase a re- entry permit using a single queue number or do they expect you to rejoin the queue & start again after you’ve completed phase 1?

My usual renewal isn’t until May but I’m having to do it earlier due to a forthcoming trip. I’m usually in & out in as little as 20 mins but it was clear that today was going to be a long haul. Cars/Bikes were parked beyond the bus station and staff were getting agitated at the numbers and having to repeat themselves.

england_scrum.jpg

Edited by evadgib

I will agree that Immigration was a scrum this morning, luckily I was only there for a 90 day report (still that took 30 minutes). Unfortunately the crowd was like that last time I visited as well.

You need to go to the window around the corner from the from the main door (heading towards the toilets). At this window they will check that you have filled in the form correctly (and possibly that you have the required documents, not sure I haven't done a renewal in the last 6 months) and then they will give you a queue number. Unfortunately the queue for this window this morning was back to the gate.

They will then slowly start calling the queue numbers (like 5 at a time) to come inside where you will drop off all the documents, pay etc.

Last time I did my renewal they asked if I wanted a re-entry permit at the same time, but if they are really busy they may forget so ask.

The reality is that most of the people in the queue are there to extend a tourist visa and until they move to the new office and can separate the long term and short term extensions into separate queues it is probably going to be best to try in the afternoon.

Of course it doesn't help that yesterday was a public holiday and next week there are 3 more.

Always is on Monday and Friday mornings, especially the days before and after a holiday...

Afternoons I have found to be less of a scrum ... better for us old guys! tongue.png I never hear when they call my number... so I sit and sit and sit!

Did anyone think to ask about next week...? I've not seen my immigration contact lately wink.png