How to safely (for me) get rid of this nest?

topt

The OP may have been lucky. I'm told there is a wasp subspecies in Thailand with a particularly virulent venom that can cause death by anaphylactic shock with only 2-3 stings. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend staying away while the nest is dealt with.

Spot on Bazza40.

According to my Thai g/f they are wasps and a very dangerous type, capable of causing death if stung a few times.

A few weeks ago I had a similar nest and emptied half a can of 'Chaindrite' into it with the nozzle applicator, then ran.

The following day I removed an empty nest.

If I'd have known at the time what I was dealing with I'd have got a local to deal with it.

if they are hornets they are very dangerous and will attack you and probably sting you to death , dont mess with hornets. We have a nest in one of our trees, we got a Man to come and remove it , he came in the Night and slipped a bag over the nest cut the branch into the sack , he burned the nest, They seem to be territorial and if you dont get them all they just start rebuilding in the same place , or very near.

Firstly thanks to everybody who took the trouble to reply so I thought I would let you know the outcome.

I asked one of the gardeners last week who came and had a look at it then basically refused to have anything to do with it which gave me more pause for thought. I then got a pest control guy in as I needed a quote to do a regular spray job including under the house. He said he would deal with it if I took out his annual contract but otherwise did not seem interested even though he had 2 or 3 workers with him.

Had seen no activity from the nest pretty much since I posted - hoping the sting it gave me had upset it in some way..........whistling.gif

I prevaricated over the weekend but justified my reluctance in that it was too windy.

This morning the wind had died down but it was quite cool so I decided I ought to get off my backside and do something constructive. I took up bankruatsteve's idea so got out some jeans, fleece, goretex jacket and a full visor bike helmet and loaded up a leaky just functioning knapsack sprayer with some chemical I have been using to keep the insects away. The sprayer had (note past tense) a 3ft or so wand and basically directed a stream of chemicals from about 12 inches into the hole of the nest. The trouble is with the hole pointing down the liquid came rushing back out. One of the miscreants came out pretty quickly but fell straight on the floor where I sprayed it some more. Then tried to spray the nest again and another flew out at which point the plastic control handle snapped where it joined the pipe from the container and I moved very ungracefully away.

Later I ventured back and cut the thin branch dropping the nest to the ground and left it for the rest of the day. Just before it got dark I dressed up again and picked it (and a couple of corpses) up with a shovel and put it in a plastic bag which I sealed and is now awaiting collection with the rubbish.

Hopefully that is the end of it wai.gif

Firstly thanks to everybody who took the trouble to reply so I thought I would let you know the outcome.

I asked one of the gardeners last week who came and had a look at it then basically refused to have anything to do with it which gave me more pause for thought. I then got a pest control guy in as I needed a quote to do a regular spray job including under the house. He said he would deal with it if I took out his annual contract but otherwise did not seem interested even though he had 2 or 3 workers with him.

Had seen no activity from the nest pretty much since I posted - hoping the sting it gave me had upset it in some way..........whistling.gif

I prevaricated over the weekend but justified my reluctance in that it was too windy.

This morning the wind had died down but it was quite cool so I decided I ought to get off my backside and do something constructive. I took up bankruatsteve's idea so got out some jeans, fleece, goretex jacket and a full visor bike helmet and loaded up a leaky just functioning knapsack sprayer with some chemical I have been using to keep the insects away. The sprayer had (note past tense) a 3ft or so wand and basically directed a stream of chemicals from about 12 inches into the hole of the nest. The trouble is with the hole pointing down the liquid came rushing back out. One of the miscreants came out pretty quickly but fell straight on the floor where I sprayed it some more. Then tried to spray the nest again and another flew out at which point the plastic control handle snapped where it joined the pipe from the container and I moved very ungracefully away.

Later I ventured back and cut the thin branch dropping the nest to the ground and left it for the rest of the day. Just before it got dark I dressed up again and picked it (and a couple of corpses) up with a shovel and put it in a plastic bag which I sealed and is now awaiting collection with the rubbish.

Hopefully that is the end of it wai.gif

Short summary: Storm in a teacup