How to safely (for me) get rid of this nest?

topt

Cutting back some vegetation the other day and discovered this -

post-108341-0-24186000-1454129554_thumb.

Almost chopped straight through it and then left it alone.

Unfortunately today was moving some things near it today with my back to it and got stung - also have two dogs I am a little concerned about. It is about 6/7 feet off the ground.

Suggestions for best way to remove - or make the inhabitants relocate............at minimal risk to yours truly?

I have a standard way to deal with all these kind of things. I simply hire a local to deal with it. I would have some one come in tell him I want it gone and ask how much. after price is settled go out for a few hours come back after it is finished.Make sure he knows you want it gone not just moved.

Your village headman should know the local "making unwanted guests move on" man.

He'll have the kit and the nerve, you stay inside with the windows shut whilst he does his job.

Gated mooban in Pattaya so no village headman that I am aware of. I could try getting one of the gardeners to do it but I was looking to avoid that if possible - plus I know they do not have any specific kit as such.

Your village headman should know the local "making unwanted guests move on" man.

He'll have the kit and the nerve, you stay inside with the windows shut whilst he does his job.

Gated mooban in Pattaya so no village headman that I am aware of. I could try getting one of the gardeners to do it but I was looking to avoid that if possible - plus I know they do not have any specific kit as such.

Have a Thai speaker contact the local Tessa ban. They should be able to assist.

I got rid of one the other day. I put on boots, levis, leather jacket, full face motorcycle helmet, gloves and sprayed the crap out of the nest. Actually didn't have too many come my way. Most of the swarm was killed right away. Then, just left it for the stragglers to give it up and threw the nest on the burn pile the next day.

We had one of these (similar size) in our garden last year. Since we are Buddhists, we don't believe in the "Kill-Kill-Kill-Philosophy" as seen in a few posts here. - So; we got a couple of Thai typical Country-side chaps who took one look at said that they would be back after dark. )These bees actually go to nest after the sun sets !). They came back, made a small little 'hand-fire', which they wetted and swung back & forth' under the nest for about 5 minutes. The smoke apparently relaxes the bees and none were seen flying about. Then they carefully managed to get a large grey garbage-bag over the nest and tied it over the tree-limb, thus having fully secured this nest WITHOUT destroying it. Then they simply cut the branch and carefully (read: respectfully !) carried the nest, branch & all, to their pick-up truck and drove about 2 kms to some remote jungle area and tied that branch to a small tree there. The knot they had tied the bag to the branch with was a "slip-knot". They then tied a long plastic string to the end of that slip-knot and got back into their pick-up; put the end of the pull-string through a window, rolled-up that window to only allow the pull-string access and then pulled the slip-knot, which released the knot on the branch and slowly pulled the grey garbage bag away from the nest.- This way we got rid of the threat in our garden, WITHOUT having to kill any bees and we even got our garbage bag back . . . . . The entire operation took less than 20 minutes and we felt that much better for having let these very worthwhile bees continue their busy lives polinating the plants, flowers & trees we all love so much.

thumbsup.gif

Not sure I would call these critters "bees" - wasp I think - but agree that if the nest is in a place away from normal activity, just leave it or relocate it. In my case, it was in a storage area not frequently used but travel to/from took them directly across a patio. While they usually not very aggressive, if you've ever been stung by accidentally stepping on one or just trying to brush away you will definitely want to get rid of them. Sting is very painful for about 2 days and longer if the stinger gets embedded.

We had one of these (similar size) in our garden last year. Since we are Buddhists, we don't believe in the "Kill-Kill-Kill-Philosophy" as seen in a few posts here. - So; we got a couple of Thai typical Country-side chaps who took one look at said that they would be back after dark. )These bees actually go to nest after the sun sets !). They came back, made a small little 'hand-fire', which they wetted and swung back & forth' under the nest for about 5 minutes. The smoke apparently relaxes the bees and none were seen flying about. Then they carefully managed to get a large grey garbage-bag over the nest and tied it over the tree-limb, thus having fully secured this nest WITHOUT destroying it. Then they simply cut the branch and carefully (read: respectfully !) carried the nest, branch & all, to their pick-up truck and drove about 2 kms to some remote jungle area and tied that branch to a small tree there. The knot they had tied the bag to the branch with was a "slip-knot". They then tied a long plastic string to the end of that slip-knot and got back into their pick-up; put the end of the pull-string through a window, rolled-up that window to only allow the pull-string access and then pulled the slip-knot, which released the knot on the branch and slowly pulled the grey garbage bag away from the nest.- This way we got rid of the threat in our garden, WITHOUT having to kill any bees and we even got our garbage bag back . . . . . The entire operation took less than 20 minutes and we felt that much better for having let these very worthwhile bees continue their busy lives polinating the plants, flowers & trees we all love so much.

thumbsup.gif

The nest shown is not bees - the wife is positive it is a wasp nest - and it may be the ones from China that are very dangerous - especially to children and dogs. We have a bees nest in our garden and they are fine - that one shown is not bees - it is wasps (hornets). If it is the native Thai wasps then by all means just move it away - if you can tell - but if it is probably the species from China then kill them. Before any other sanctimonious nature lover complains, I will point out that this species is 'controlled' in China by the harsh winters, but if allowed to live here will wipe out the indigenous species and can KILL people and animals. Ergo - the European Wasp is regularly eradicated everywhere else in the World. The China wasp is much worse - 42 killed !!! sad.png

I agree save the bee's if you can. But kill the wasps. I got stung twice and my ankle swelled up twice its size and hurt for weeks. The stings left two hole in my leg and ankle that took awhile to heal and three years later still have scars that look like cigarette burn scars. There are also night wasps that are super bad. Some of the locals didnt want to remove it.

A wasp nest was in a power pole I own. I went to the PEA and to a local Government office. The fee was fair as three phase electricity was shut down for the evening period the "get rid of wasp nest" men did the procedure. A local government cherry picker truck was used. I now have a wasp spray from the USA to spray on wasp nests when I first spot them. I had allowed that wasp nest to grow large and they wasps were trouble for people and pets. They did not rebuild in the same location. The men who smoked out the wasp nest seemed keen on keeping the nest.

post-20604-0-81430400-1454260477_thumb.j

post-20604-0-17528900-1454260515_thumb.j

post-20604-0-08137800-1454260524_thumb.j

I believe it's a hornets nest. If so or it is a wasp nest don't try to remove it kill them. The sting if a hornet is extremely painful, i know i have been stung!

Thai people usually come at dusk, and put a flaming cloth under the nest, this kills them, also they can eat the lava remaining, if they like petrol flavour!

I do it myself, but a different method. Washing up liquid mixed with water, destroys the skeleton of the hornets, keep spraying at dusk. If you have a pressure washer fill the attachment for car washing with soapy water and spray.

It does work, i killed a nest in my garden a few weeks ago.

If bees, leave them be or get a company that can remove them.

call the RTP they could convene a seminar to discuss and debate the gravity of the probable mass homicide's of these creatures as well as the social implications on society if the nest is terminated . i am sure the hornets have no cash to contribute to a "tea fund" so their fate seems to be sealed ......ehhh do hornets also make honey ? if so that could be a game changer . sweet tea , whats not to like ?.............................

Hornets, not wasps nor bees.

We had a nest on a pole near our place. They attacked my wife a couple of times stinging her on the head and back very painfully. They also put a farang neighbor, who was walking his dog underneath, into hospital.

I don't think they wanted to be moved because they had paid for their cable TV and internet link.

post-18822-0-06967600-1454296873_thumb.j

Although a Buddhist, my wife wanted then destroyed with a passion. The electric company didn't want to know, so we hired a pest control mob who sprayed the nest profusely and also burnt it as much as they could given it's position. Killed most of them.

A few days later some people came in the night and chopped the nest up to get at the grubs, Hope the insecticide didn't spoil the taste!

post-18822-0-39253400-1454297713_thumb.j

Yours should be easy to move, use the plastic bag or drop it into a wheelie bin. At nighttime.

call the RTP they could convene a seminar to discuss and debate the gravity of the probable mass homicide's of these creatures as well as the social implications on society if the nest is terminated . i am sure the hornets have no cash to contribute to a "tea fund" so their fate seems to be sealed ......ehhh do hornets also make honey ? if so that could be a game changer . sweet tea , whats not to like ?.............................

I have allergy to bee s. stings. There was one at a factory, that used to make food products for me. I told the owner to get rid of it. He thought it was lucky that the bees came to his factory. The next week, I moved all my production to my secondary factory.

Just leave it alone and be careful when working around it and don't work too near! It looks like a hornets nest, several of which I have had in my garden. Eventually they went of their own accord. Don't let any children play near them. or even ban them from the area. Kids are always tempted to throw things at nests. A recipe for disaster. coffee1.gif

As has been said, this is a hornet's nest: Vespa tropica, the hornet most common in South East Asia, I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_tropica

The sting is nasty and four or more have been known to kill in the right circumstances (allergy/weak immune system?).

I had three of these nests in 2014. The largest one was smoked out by some clever locals, one of whom enjoyed eating the grubs, live. That may be the Buddhist way and I respect that, however you do get clouds of very annoyed hornets!

A few months later I had two smaller nests that I dealt with myself: the hornets are less active at ight. I have been told that they sleep but I'm not sure they do. Anyway, at midnight, armed with a lot of noxious spray chemicals, I nuked the f*** out of the nests and ran away! Nuked again a few hours later and then removed the nests and disposed of in a bin.

wai.gif

I got rid of a nest of those wasps by buying a large spray can of bug killer, (made primarily for wasps), and emptying the contents right into the hole of the nest. it was about twenty to thirty seconds of spraying. They were dropping out of it in bunches, soaked in the bug killer, not even able to fly.

Ended up with a pile of dying wasps on the ground under it. Never got stung once, they couldn't fly with being covered in wasp killer. Repeated the next day, but it appeared I got them all the first time. Knocked the nest down and thew it in a fire to make sure of killing any developing larvae. (Although the wasp spray probably killed all of them also. Job done ! !

Good luck.

thumbsup.gif

Going by the picture.... they aren't bees in this case. More then likely they are paper wasps. Bees don't build a nest like that. Bees build was honeycombed and brood chambers in hollow trees or in the walls of homes, or unused chimneys.

Paper wasps build a nest as small as a golf ball or larger than a football. Hornet and paper wasps make their nests out of a wood fibre and saliva paper-like material that they produce to protect their brood combs. These hang from shrubs, trees, under eaves, in attics if there is a way in and out of the attic for them.. .

I would bet my next pay cheque it isn't bees he has.... It's wasps.

Just hit it with a baseball bat. Make sure you film and share the next 10 min.

How about a 4 iron.......don't have a baseball bat...........facepalm.gifsmile.png

If you don't want to get stung again, you'd need at least a 3-wood.biggrin.png

The OP may have been lucky. I'm told there is a wasp subspecies in Thailand with a particularly virulent venom that can cause death by anaphylactic shock with only 2-3 stings. To be on the safe side, I'd recommend staying away while the nest is dealt with.