Under Thai Law is a wife responsible for her husbands debts?

somo

The title says it all really. A friend of ours just died quite suddenly and is in quite a lot of debt.

Is his wife now responsible for those debts?

The law section of TV is closed to questions so thought I'd try my luck here.

I don't know the answer, but it may pay to tell us what sort of debts, and if the debts legally documented and in whose name, and if any assets that have a debt against them are owned jointly or not.

A mortgage to a bank or an official car loan will be different to a loan from a friend, or an unpaid internet bill.

EDIT: Just found this really comprehensive link about death and wills etc in Thailand. http://www.bia.co.th/032.html

Edited by Gsxrnz

You can't get a mortgage or bank loan in Thailand without a life insurance to pay it off.

So what debts?

Normally Thais with large debts just transfer everything they own to a family member and let the person owed the money take a hike.

If it's a 'female friend' that needs financial help, find a new 'friend'.

I don't know the answer, but it may pay to tell us what sort of debts, and if the debts legally documented and in whose name, and if any assets that have a debt against them are owned jointly or not.

A mortgage to a bank or an official car loan will be different to a loan from a friend, or an unpaid internet bill.

EDIT: Just found this really comprehensive link about death and wills etc in Thailand. http://www.bia.co.th/032.html

Another question: are they legally married?

Quite common in Thailand to go through a local traditional ceremony but never go to the amphur office and register an official marriage.