Can I leave the country on a Work Permit?

Just wondering if I can I leave the country (for my brother's wedding in the U.S. in May) while on a work permit? I'm here to play football, signing with a club next week. I just want to make sure I'm able to leave the country on a work permit. Are you allowed multiple entries? Are work permits valid for one year? Are there different types of work permits? If so, what are the differences? Thank you very much!

Yes you can leave the country.

• If you have an extension of stay granted by immigration based on your work permit you need to buy a re-entry permit to protect that stay. It costs 1,000 baht and can be obtained from your local immigration office or at the airport. You can exit/re-enter as often as you want as long as you buy a re-entry permit before you leave, or have a multiple re-entry permit which costs 3,800 baht.
  • If you have a valid multi entry visa (you will be leaving every 90 days) then you can exit and re-enter as often as you like until the visa expires ('enter before' date printed on the visa). No re-entry permit needed.
Edited by elviajero

A work permit does not prevent anyone leaving the country.

What visa do you have ? Single, Multiple entry or do you have an "Extension of Stay" ?

Once your visa status is established then advise about leaving and returning to the country can be provided.

Thank you for you replies! Do those 1000 baht re-entry permits ever get denied? With the 3800 baht one is there a limit as to how many re-entries you can have per year? Are work permits only valid year to year? Currently I'm just here on my 2nd exempt entry.

A work permit does not allow you to stay in the country. The club will need to apply for the work permit and then you will need to get a non immigrant visa in order for it to be issued. Then after getting the visa you can get an extension stay that can be valid for up to one year.

A re-entry permit is issued for an existing permit to stay, If you get a one year extension the re-entry permit would be valid until it expires.

A multiple re-entry permit allows unlimited entries up to the date it expires.

Thank you for you replies! Do those 1000 baht re-entry permits ever get denied? With the 3800 baht one is there a limit as to how many re-entries you can have per year? Are work permits only valid year to year? Currently I'm just here on my 2nd exempt entry.

Re-entry permits will not be denied. A multiple re-entry permit (3800) allows multiple re entries whilst it remains valid.

Be aware that you need an appropriate visa to work (play football). Make sure the club will provide the support necessary for the visa to be obtained.

"Working" whilst on a visa exempt or Tourist visa entry is illegal.

Yes, work permits are usually valid for one year and need to be renewed each year.

How long does that process usually take- applying for the work permit? The reason I ask is because my current exempt entry stamp is up Feb.11...once the club get the work permit for me, do they apply for the non-immigrant visa as well or is that up to me? How much does that cost? What is that process-length/time? Do I get that at the immigration building here in Bangkok? Many thanks!

How long does that process usually take- applying for the work permit? The reason I ask is because my current exempt entry stamp is up Feb.11...once the club get the work permit for me, do they apply for the non-immigrant visa as well or is that up to me? How much does that cost? What is that process-length/time? Do I get that at the immigration building here in Bangkok? Many thanks!

Have you already extended your current 30 day visa exempt entry by 30 days?

You will probably have to get a 30 day extension for your current visa exempt entry. I don't think there is anyway you will have the work permit application done by the 11th.

Once the application is done a work permit application approval letter will be done that will allow you to get a non immigrant visa. You probably will have to go out to a nearby embassy or consulate to get it.

I am certain the club is aware of what is needed if they have hired foreign players before.

I have not yet extended my current exempt entry stamp by 30 days. I've done that once before on my first exempt entry in Nov. Is there a limit to how many of those I can get in a calendar year? Any idea how much the non immigrant visa costs? Can I not get that at Immigration? Cheers!

I have not yet extended my current exempt entry stamp by 30 days. I've done that once before on my first exempt entry in Nov. Is there a limit to how many of those I can get in a calendar year? Any idea how much the non immigrant visa costs? Can I not get that at Immigration? Cheers!

• The only limit is one 30 day extension of stay for each entry. So you'll have no problem extending again.
  • A single entry non immigrant visa is 2,000 baht.
  • It is possible to convert a visa exempt entry stay to a non 'B' at Bangkok immigration as long as you have at least 15 days left of your current stay. Your current stay has less so if you want to do a conversion you'll have to apply for a 30 day extension of stay first. The conversion will require two trips to immigration and costs 2,000 baht.
  • Like 1

It is a non immigrant B visa. It is the normal class of visa issued for working.

I would not count on being able to do a conversion at immigration. The requirements are more stringent that getting an extension and most people have to go out for the non-b visa.