Cost finally takes the Land Rover Defender off the road

Cost finally takes the Land Rover Defender off the road

606x341_322695.jpg

The last classic Land Rover Defender has rolled off the production line, nearly 70 years after they first hit the road, or the field, the battlefield or even the mountain.

The go anywhere four wheel drive vehicle designed originally for farming and agricultural use was iconically British and known worldwide.

More than two million have been built since 1948 and 70 percent of those are still around – a testament to their toughness.

Indian-owned Tata, which bought the loss-making British brands Jaguar and Land Rover in 2008 from Ford, is developing a replacement model.

Though much loved, in the end it had to go as it was too costly. It took 56 hours to make the largely hand-built Defender at the firm’s Solihull factory in central England, making it more expensive and time-consuming than many other vehicles which have a higher degree of machine assembly.

Neil Watterson, deputy editor of Land Rover Owner International magazine, said the Land Rover Defender had remained successful for so long due to its broad appeal.

“It’s always been a classless vehicle,” he said.

“It could be driven by the gamekeeper on the estate, or it could be driven by the landowner, or the garage-owner with the breakdown truck and the fire brigade.”

Famous owners have included Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II, wartime prime minister Winston Churchill, Beatles singer Paul McCartney and the late actor Steve McQueen.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-31

I remember driving a 110 landrover in 1969, went to change down gears,gear stick came off in my hand.

Managed to stop, looked at the problem, spit pin at the bottom of the stick had broken.

My mate got a hammer knocked out the broken pin, put in a 4inch nail and we carried on with our journey.

What other vehicle could you fix like that???? NONE.

Fond memories of an Iconic vehicle.

I remember driving a 110 landrover in 1969, went to change down gears,gear stick came off in my hand.

Managed to stop, looked at the problem, spit pin at the bottom of the stick had broken.

My mate got a hammer knocked out the broken pin, put in a 4inch nail and we carried on with our journey.

None, because no other worthy vehicles are held up by pins and nails ?

"Cost"!! That's corporate speak for, " We can't make any money out of this PoS when competing in an open market".

They didn't move with the times, and 56 hours labor at production worker, i.e., unskilled worker rates, was never the killer.

At best, they were a Mini Moke competitor.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Willys? Gelandewagen? Gaz69? LC70?

;)

PS

Defender Its legend OFroad fighter.

I love this car.

Edited by ardokano

"Cost"!! That's corporate speak for, " We can't make any money out of this PoS when competing in an open market".

They didn't move with the times, and 56 hours labor at production worker, i.e., unskilled worker rates, was never the killer.

At best, they were a Mini Moke competitor.

While they had the sales they didn't need to innovate, now the British military has been reduced to a shadow of its former self Land Rovers biggest customer doesn't buy enough.

The old design didn't lend itself to automation, the new design will allow more machine involvement and fewer humans.

Edited by ThaiKneeTim

I drove Landrovers and Willys in the 50's and the Willys were fun, but if you really want to get up the mountain river bed, take the Landrover. The only vehicle that could compete was the Haflinger, but I daresay not many folks have had the pleasure.

What killed Landrover was their attempts to make their wagons more street-friendly so that mum could take it shopping. Huge mistake. They made a similar mistake with the RangeRover which started out as a comfortable Landrover replacement, but morphed into some ridiculous jet-setters street-racer and priced itself out of the market.

If I had to choose I'd go for a Toyota every time. The landrover is a dinosaur.

Toyota LC70 its same "dinosaur"

But only LC70 can compare near with defender. among those who are preparing to offroad expeditions cars .

Defender in TOP offroad fighter.

And ofcouse any can prefer some another. Some loke Patrol and i have LC100 in stock and LC80 with offroad ugrade , but thinking patrol it be better in stock for offroad.and defender be better, but defender it out my cost when i buy LC.;)

I remember the celebrations in 1956 when the Oxford and Cambridge Far East Overland Expedition reached Singapore from UK in 2 Landies - it made the car's reputation.

l read the book.

Great adventure, they drove along part of the Burma road.

That was the first thing I had to drive when I moved to LOS - I hated every little thing about it and would not even want one free, received as a gift. Would put it up for sale the very same second... It is easier to tell what is not broken than to list all that failed over the period of one year... If you have cash to burn, time to waste, nerves of steel, and the adventurer in you says "well, let's see if we arrive at our destination, or if we can make it at least half way" - then buy a Landrover! sick.gif

Edited by MockingJay

That was the first thing I had to drive when I moved to LOS - I hated every little thing about it and would not even want one free, received as a gift. Would put it up for sale the very same second... It is easier to tell what is not broken than to list all that failed over the period of one year... If you have cash to burn, time to waste, nerves of steel, and the adventurer in you says "well, let's see if we arrive at our destination, or if we can make it at least half way" - then buy a Landrover! sick.gif

Are you sure you talking about defender?

Fond memories indeed, classic town tractor, goes anywhere, just the design is a little dated now. Cossed the desert in one, only trouble was lost a few bits due to vibration, biggest hassle was low range is not low enough, really it is not necessary to do 60kmh in low. G 60 nissan was also a tough beast, go for ever,arguably tougher than the rover, but so thirsty, rolled one in the bush once, got it back over and carried on. The landcruiser ute from the same era also a mighty charger, built Kosciusko dam with ease, real work horse. Just that the urbanites wanted a status symbol and land cruiser morphed into a poser, ok on the black top, if a bit heavy, but useless as t.ts on a bull in the bush. Owned and used all of these at some time, even used the rover to pull stump's. Forget the'unbreakable' hilux, bought new, lasted a month, waste of paddock space. In my experience, the nissan and cruiser ute, were the toughest, but the rover got you to more places, depends what your needs are, and personal preference of course.

I drove Landrovers and Willys in the 50's and the Willys were fun, but if you really want to get up the mountain river bed, take the Landrover. The only vehicle that could compete was the Haflinger, but I daresay not many folks have had the pleasure.

What killed Landrover was their attempts to make their wagons more street-friendly so that mum could take it shopping. Huge mistake. They made a similar mistake with the RangeRover which started out as a comfortable Landrover replacement, but morphed into some ridiculous jet-setters street-racer and priced itself out of the market.

It was also highly unreliable at least in some quarters. I was in the Emirates for nine years; people would buy new ones and they'd start breaking down all over the places.

The Series 2 was the last decent Land Rover. Three gear selection levers, leaf springs, a real workhorse, not a fashion statement!

I only ever saw one Series 2 Land Rover with a PTO, it was used to drive the blades of a gang mower towed behind.

I hope the replacement had a basic model for enthusiasts and use in third world countries, no electronics and the same bolt on panels.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/land-rover/defender/first-drives/land-rover-defender-dc100

Hyundai Accent Sprint wink.png but didn't have to knock out pin it had fallen outlaugh.png luckily the nail was handily in the gutter whistling.gif

If I had to choose I'd go for a Toyota every time. The landrover is a dinosaur.

Toyota LC70 its same "dinosaur"

But only LC70 can compare near with defender. among those who are preparing to offroad expeditions cars .

Defender in TOP offroad fighter.

And ofcouse any can prefer some another. Some loke Patrol and i have LC100 in stock and LC80 with offroad ugrade , but thinking patrol it be better in stock for offroad.and defender be better, but defender it out my cost when i buy LC.;)

I do plenty outback and offroad so LC78 is my next vehicle.

Sure it's a bit expensive and is about 18 years since first release but it has had regular upgrades and this year will have some airbag, stability and traction control upgrades plus you got to love that 4.5L V8.

PS. I would not even consider a Defender. Terrible reputation for reliability.

I still have a 110 2.5 diesel turbo ex camel trophy, had it many years now but its stored since 10 years, fantastic vehicle if you need 4x4..even lost it in a river one time and found it 200+ meters away, swam out to it and turned the key, drove it out and away.

And we all believe in the tooth fairy!!!

Should have been branded "Landrover Defector" from the very start - would have saved many people a lot of headache and financial woes...

I hear have some problem with last defender.

But I also see when defender with out uprade go where upgrade mitsu and toyota stop.

Its be pajero and LC100 and upgrade Patrol, upgrade LC105 ,LC 80 and Defender with !!out upgrade!!! GO

And one thinks.

When you go in Expedition or faar offroad fishing etc.

Its not important even broken or not.

Important how fast and easy can be replaced.

Ah, memories. With the aluminium panels and massive steel chassis, the engine and gearbox was always going to give up before the body did. And the fold-down windscreen made it a great hunting vehicle.

My fondest memory is an Egyptian co-worker at Port Hedland back in the late sixties. Took the Land Rover out for a spin on the Goldsworthy road. Blew a tyre, managed to roll it 270 degrees - a considerable feat given its low centre of gravity. Got out of it with a grazed cheek.

A Scottish mining engineer was with me when the remains were towed back in. Turning to me, he said: " You know, I've always thought it was a mistake to give them cars when we've only just finished teaching them how to ride bicycles".

If they put it on a proper production line I am sure they could build it for a third of the cost

they currently incur. Whether this makes sense or not I have no idea. Maybe in India. coffee1.gif

I owned a Series 2 88" with canvas roof and a Series 2 109" with hardtop. (I still retain the 109's original licence plate)

The 88 was the most fun as I took it into places i'd not dared to take either my SWB Land Cruiser or any of the 3 Land Rover Discovery's I've owned.

I was in one of my friends SWB's last summer and he advised me it was last of the production batch.

I even considered ordering one, but was advised they were already fully booked (he advised that some estate owners had bought up a large number to keep as replacement stock)

I owned a Series 2 88" with canvas roof and a Series 2 109" with hardtop. (I still retain the 109's original licence plate)

The 88 was the most fun as I took it into places i'd not dared to take either my SWB Land Cruiser or any of the 3 Land Rover Discovery's I've owned.

I was in one of my friends SWB's last summer and he advised me it was last of the production batch.

I even considered ordering one, but was advised they were already fully booked (he advised that some estate owners had bought up a large number to keep as replacement stock)

New defender as old can go into place where not sure can out( entry any car can go wink.png ) LC 8 and LC100 in stock.

but reliability little worse.

but can still be repaired in the field.
my friend steering rack of stone broke. but in the wood( go near villige took a welding machine), repaired and gothumbsup.gif
wai.gif