The art of walking in Bangkok: A rant on pave rage

webfact

The art of walking in Bangkok: A rant on pave rage
JAMES NEWMAN

art-of-walking-bangkok.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Growing up and working in London, walking was a big part of my life.

Whether it be a brisk stroll in the park or the urban commute; walking in London was a joy.

Take a look around Liverpool Street Station during the Monday morning rush hour and you shall observe hundreds of thousands of commuters all walking in perfect sync. Everyone knows exactly where they are going.

DELETED

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/the-art-of-walking-in-bangkok-a-rant-on-pave-rage/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-02-01

Edited by seedy
fair use

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes walking in London with UV of 2 or less is reasonable on its annual sunny day; so would expect them to be good at it - not quite as good, or expected in Bangkok, with UV index in extreme 11-12 range most of the year.

smile.png

I used to get a chuckle walking in downtown Vancouver years ago. Even on pleasant summer days, most everyone walks with their heads down, staring at their feet, trying to avoid eye contact. There is a reason for it of course as I found out. I moved to the city after getting out of the military. I was used to walking around with my head up, being aware of my surroundings and paying attention to things.

As I walked around downtown I noticed that if, on rare occasions, you did make accidental eye contact with someone, they would normally look away very quickly. The reason being is that they are trying to avoid contact with the various panhandlers and drug dealers roaming the streets. Despite my neat appearance and inspection-ready haircut, people were scared to make eye contact.

The panhandlers and dealers would be looking at peoples faces, trying to spot the shy, nervous ones that might make an easy target. Even if they weren't interested in whatever you were selling maybe they'd give you a few bucks to just get out of their way.

The funny part is, I'd see them doing their thing but when they made eye contact with me I didn't look away. I'd stare right at them then smile when they looked away ! Some may have thought I was a cop (due to the haircut) and others may have realized I wasn't going to be a "soft touch".

Walking around in Thailand is different though. Here I find it's not the people (normally) that are the problem, its the terrain. Crappy sidewalks and various non-pedestrian hazards make it an adventure trying to walk around here (mostly in Pattaya). In addition to trying to be aware of the people around me I have to watch out for crappy sidewalks, food carts, motos, dogs (and of course, dog sh*t), low hanging wires, holes, garbage and a slew of other potential dangers. Then worry about what the other pedestrians are doing.

I'm not much of a "lolly-gagger" when it comes to walking. I prefer to get from Point A to Point B in the quickest, most efficient manner because Point B is where I have something to do. I understand that other people (especially tourists) like to stroll along at a leisurely pace and are prone to stopping in the middle of a busy sidewalk/path/whatever, completely oblivious to everyone else they've just inconvenienced. Most give you the impression that they believe they are the only people in the world and the world revolves around them.

Because I am (normally) aware of my surroundings, my intended route and the various hazards, I can usually dart around the obstacles, even if it means going a wee bit out of my way. The slight zig-zags and detours don't add as much time to my trip as plodding along at the pace of an arthritic snail in an arctic blizzard would so it's not a bother. (I often end up at my destination sweating and breathing heavily.) Good practise is walking from Central Festival along Beach Road to Walking Street (staying on the "city" side of the road, not the "beach" side) ! Walking down South Pattaya Road from TukCom to the # 2 Road intersection can also be fun !

And when all else fails and you have no choice but to do the 2 inch shuffle step for 2-3 minutes until a path clears, then relax and be glad you aren't standing in a -20 degree snowstorm (or even a 5 degree drizzling rain) and remind yourself that in a month from now, you'll still be here enjoying the fine weather while the plodders and lolly-gaggers are back home are stuck shuffling in their miserable weather !

You think walking is bad?

Try being in a wheelchair most Thais will not move for you, they expect you to move around them.

Saw a disabled falang on the san seab klong boat in Bkk years ago. He got off one side and Thais carried him across the bridge to the other side to get a boat the other way. Lightweight chair that folded up. One of most surprising things I have seen here. Never seen anyone on a 'pavement' here though and how would you get into many buildings if you did?

Here's my problem, that I noticed the first week I was here and has never gone away.

When people are moving towards you parallel and with no need to move to avoid hitting you, they will choose the strangest way possible to pass you, especially if you are quite close to an immovable object like a wall or a row of shops.

This happens about 50% of the time. Either I'm crazy (?) or you will recognise this behaviour - see diagram ...

post-26070-0-38649400-1454314314_thumb.p

Try being in a wheelchair most Thais will not move for you, they expect you to move around them.

I get lots of women, usually in pairs or threes and usually late 20s early 30s who speed up to cut in front of my son's wheel chair then slow down to a snail's pace. Most gripe like mad if we clip them.

Some older people tend to walk directly at the chair as if they expect us to make way for them. And people coming into or exiting elevators simply will not give way and try to push through the chair.

Inconsiderate, rude, thoughtless cretins who are so self centered they expect everyone to make way for them, especially foreigners or disabled.

Saw a disabled falang on the san seab klong boat in Bkk years ago. He got off one side and Thais carried him across the bridge to the other side to get a boat the other way. Lightweight chair that folded up. One of most surprising things I have seen here. Never seen anyone on a 'pavement' here though and how would you get into many buildings if you did?

To be fair some people are really helpful. Security guards at Fashion Island, Future Park, and most government buildings go out of their way to help. Some of them literally run to help get the chair out the car and are really very friendly to him. The open market opposite The Walk are really excellent.

But, you still get a great many people staring as if he's an alien.

Having lived and worked in Japan, there is great rivalry between Osaka and Tokyo, so much so that in Tokyo you walk on the right of an escalator, in Osaka the left.

Residing in Tokyo but travelling to Osaka after a couple of visits, it all slips into place, respect is given and normality is adhered to.

On one occasion, in Tokyo I am on the right, going down the steps to the platform, and I am in a bit of a rush, and an obvious Osakan is trying to ascend on his left.

Worlds will collide.

At 120 kg descending, his 60 kg ascending met, great embarrassment from him, and apologies as he picked himself up from the steps.

Just keep moving and push them out of the way Colin, although I've never been in a wheelchair, I bet they would soon jump out of your way.

I know you live up north, are the pavements suitable for wheel chairs? They certainly aren't in Bangkok.

Having lived and worked in Japan, there is great rivalry between Osaka and Tokyo, so much so that in Tokyo you walk on the right of an escalator, in Osaka the left.

Residing in Tokyo but travelling to Osaka after a couple of visits, it all slips into place, respect is given and normality is adhered to.

On one occasion, in Tokyo I am on the right, going down the steps to the platform, and I am in a bit of a rush, and an obvious Osakan is trying to ascend on his left.

Worlds will collide.

At 120 kg descending, his 60 kg ascending met, great embarrassment from him, and apologies as he picked himself up from the steps.

I do something similar getting on and off elevators in Bangkok.

I am 5'8", 210 lb., martial artist, weightlifter, etc., can be imposing when I choose it. When getting on or off an elevator, I simply stand squarely in front of the door. When it opens I yield to no one. I walk forward and if they don't get out of my way... oh, well, they get bumped. No sweat off me.

I know, it sounds like a jerk thing to do, but it is the only way I have found to get on or off an elevator in Bangkok without getting killed.

Here's my problem, that I noticed the first week I was here and has never gone away.

When people are moving towards you parallel and with no need to move to avoid hitting you, they will choose the strangest way possible to pass you, especially if you are quite close to an immovable object like a wall or a row of shops.

This happens about 50% of the time. Either I'm crazy (?) or you will recognise this behaviour - see diagram ...

clap2.gifbiggrin.png

Your diagram is very funny ... and very true !!!

I have noticed the same phenomenon, over and over for the past 30 years, and still have no way of explaining it ! Sometimes the other person will even move out of his/her way and walk directly towards you, forcing you to step aside. It's totally incomprehensible.

Unlike so many posters on this Forum, however, I refuse to come up with some idiotic Thai-bashing conclusion which explains nothing and proves nothing aside from the fact that the poster ought to return to his own country asap.

I studied sociology, and know for a fact that social behaviour, no matter how big or small, is always the result of one or several (usually several) parameters that stem from history, religion, customs and traditions.

Contrary to what many Westerners assume, everyday social behaviour in Thailand has a lot more to do with Confucianism than with Buddhism (which appeared roughly at the same time, respectively in China and India, and let's not forget that the Thais originally came from China, about one millenium ago). By studying the teachings of Confucius and what became known as Confucianism (which is as remote from the original teaching as Christian religions are from the original message of Jesus Christ) I have often found the obvious answer to many 'typical' Thai habits, some of which may appear extremely odd to Westerners.

However, there is no answer to your diagram to be found there, and the only reasonable answer I can suggest for now is : laugh !!

Edited by Yann55

clap2.gifbiggrin.png

I have noticed the same phenomenon, over and over for the past 30 years, and still have no way of explaining it ! Sometimes the other person will even move out of his/her way and walk directly towards you, forcing you to step aside. It's totally incomprehensible.

Unlike so many posters on this Forum, however, I refuse to come up with some idiotic Thai-bashing conclusion which explains nothing and proves nothing aside from the fact that the poster ought to return to his own country asap.

I studied sociology, and know for a fact that social behaviour, no matter how big or small, is always the result of one or several (usually several) parameters that stem from history, religion, customs and traditions.

Contrary to what many Westerners assume, everyday social behaviour in Thailand has a lot more to do with Confucianism than with Buddhism (which appeared roughly at the same time, respectively in China and India, and let's not forget that the Thais originally came from China, about one millenium ago). By studying the teachings of Confucius and what became known as Confucianism (which is as remote from the original teaching as Christian religions are from the original message of Jesus Christ) I have often found the obvious answer to many 'typical' Thai habits, some of which may appear extremely odd to Westerners.

However, there is no answer to your diagram to be found there, and the only reasonable answer I can suggest for now is : laugh !!

What a shame- I really thought you were leading up to a brilliant explanation of why this happens, based on unconscious Confucian teachings! I too find it an absolutely inexplicable huge cultural difference, and like you I'm convinced there is a real reason, however difficult to comprehend.

I also just treat it as a game now, and count how many times it happens during a walk, as a pastime...

clap2.gifbiggrin.png

What a shame- I really thought you were leading up to a brilliant explanation of why this happens, based on unconscious Confucian teachings! I too find it an absolutely inexplicable huge cultural difference, and like you I'm convinced there is a real reason, however difficult to comprehend.

I also just treat it as a game now, and count how many times it happens during a walk, as a pastime...

LOL, sorry to disappoint. I did start by saying that I still have no way of explaining this behaviour, even after observing it for 30 years !

The reason I launched into that bit about Confucianism is only because I often read comments (especially on this Forum) by Westerners who obviously assume that Buddishm is the one and only explanation for everything here, and who haven't a clue how deeply ingrained Confucianism is in Thai society.

If I do find the explanation I promise I'll get back to you. Meanwhile we'll both continue counting gigglem.gif

OP got it wrong. Motorbikes is the biggest problem when walking on the walkways in Bangkok.

I've seen this mentioned before. I've walked around a lot of Bangkok and haven't really noticed the motorbikes being a problem. Stalls, people, water hydrants, disused phone booths...yes.... motorbikes.. no.

This happens to me on a regular basis.

Most of the time it seems that the Thai wants to go somewhere just behind or parallel to me, and rather than simply slipping through after I have passed, they will just walk right in front of me and try to squeeze into the 2 inch gap between me and the wall.

Edited by teatree

OP got it wrong. Motorbikes is the biggest problem when walking on the walkways in Bangkok.

In Chiang Mai you often have to walk in the street as the m/bikes take up so much footpath.

Have you noticed the difference between escalator users in Singapore and in Thailand? If you block the escalator in SIN, you are soon brushed to one side as others RUN up the steps.

Here, folk just step on and vegetate. They won't move even if you're obviously right behind them.

One that happens to me more than it should, and still kind of blows my mind after many years and happening to me many times is that you will be quickly approaching someone ahead of you, there's plenty of space for you to pass on the left or right but with the person ahead of you still 3-10 feet in front, just as you are making your move to pass, they will move abruptly into your path blocking your way. The person has their back to you and it is unlikely they know you are approaching, especially if you are wearing soft soled shoes, but nevertheless the person in front seems to somehow know someone is coming and that they should now get in your way. It happens far too often for it to be just some fluke and there is no other place in the world, no matter how crowded the city, New York, Seoul, San Francisco, London, where it is ever happened to me that people just routinely and very deliberately walk in front of me when they don't even know I'm there. Used to happen to me about once or twice a month over the decade I spent living in Bangkok. Seems almost symbolic of much of what happens in general daily life in Thailand, that people just try and obstruct and stop others from simply getting from point a to point b. And yes I should stop whingeing and just go back to my country.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Worlds will collide.

It sometimes amuses me at Siam station, when the doors open and a small Thai woman or man tries to walk through me to push into the train. I just keep walking out without making eye contact and they usually end up at the back of the line...

On the subject of the sidewalks - some western television companies make shows like Wipeout and Ninja Warriors etc. "Thai sidewalk dash" would be a cheaper alternative. The rules are simple - without stepping off the designated sidewalk, contestants are timed from a start to finish point, having to negotiate potholes, phone booths, hanging wires, motorbikes, badly parked cars, street vendors, soi dogs, taxi touts, building sites, open sewers, puddles of waste cooking oil etc etc.