The art of walking in Bangkok: A rant on pave rage

webfact

You should try riding you motorbike on the sidewalk.... People not looking where they are going or looking at their phone.. Don't get me started about the beggars laying in the middle of the sidewalk.. Almost ran them over a few times.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's my problem, that I noticed the first week I was here and has never gone away.

When people are moving towards you parallel and with no need to move to avoid hitting you, they will choose the strangest way possible to pass you, especially if you are quite close to an immovable object like a wall or a row of shops.

This happens about 50% of the time. Either I'm crazy (?) or you will recognise this behaviour - see diagram ...

I have noticed this before, also when people are in front of you and don't even know you are about to overtake them, they somehow managed to move over to the side of the pavement you want to pass them on.

As for the BTS some guy stopped right in front of me on the stairs, a little shove got him going again.

Having lived and worked in Japan, there is great rivalry between Osaka and Tokyo, so much so that in Tokyo you walk on the right of an escalator, in Osaka the left.

Residing in Tokyo but travelling to Osaka after a couple of visits, it all slips into place, respect is given and normality is adhered to.

On one occasion, in Tokyo I am on the right, going down the steps to the platform, and I am in a bit of a rush, and an obvious Osakan is trying to ascend on his left.

Worlds will collide.

At 120 kg descending, his 60 kg ascending met, great embarrassment from him, and apologies as he picked himself up from the steps.

It sometimes amuses me at Siam station, when the doors open and a small Thai woman or man tries to walk through me to push into the train. I just keep walking out without making eye contact and they usually end up at the back of the line...

On the subject of the sidewalks - some western television companies make shows like Wipeout and Ninja Warriors etc. "Thai sidewalk dash" would be a cheaper alternative. The rules are simple - without stepping off the designated sidewalk, contestants are timed from a start to finish point, having to negotiate potholes, phone booths, hanging wires, motorbikes, badly parked cars, street vendors, soi dogs, taxi touts, building sites, open sewers, puddles of waste cooking oil etc etc.

At Siam station there's always somebody (mostly lady's) who won't give way for outcoming passengers of the bts. I'm totally done with that and i just walk through them and hope they learn the lesson. There are clear markings on the floor where you have to stand and wait but as always there's a Thai who doesn't want to follow that rule.

Also people who stop suddenly at the end of an escalator, i just didn't see that. They must be coming from the jungle or so i guess and be in a city for the first time.

But in malls i don't look where i 'm walking, i just walk whatever is going on infront of me. Thai always avoid me at the very last moment which is perfect. Seen my size they better not walk into me. When people suddenly stop walking in a mall i just walk untill 5 cm behind them and they can feel my breath on their heads since i'm much taller. Suddenly they understand the message and let me go my way.

Will they ever learn to step to the side of a walkway when they want to stop walking? I doubt it. It seems they enjoy to hold up a line of pedestrians while standing there watching their phone.

But at elevators i never have problems, also not with motobikes on pavements because i just totally ignore them. I guess my size plays a big role in that.

In malls people always like to cut me off or just cross the walkway right infront of me. They can't wait 1 second untill i passed and then cross.

If i was in a wheelchair i would install a horn or bell and ring to them when they blocked my way. Maybe a funny cowbell or so.

Lately i don't even want to walk on the BKK-pavements anymore, better just go to a mall and pay more there without stress. It's really getting annoying to stop for everybody and anything on the sidewalks and seen my length it's even very dangerous with all the lowhanging stuff with steel sharp points on it or naked electric wires or lowhanging roofs/ropes.

Ah, getting on and off the BTS. What an experience! As for walking, I have the fantasy of taking my phone out and staring at as I zigzag back and forth on the walkway, stopping and walking fast unpredictably. Haven't done it yet though.

Here's my problem, that I noticed the first week I was here and has never gone away.

When people are moving towards you parallel and with no need to move to avoid hitting you, they will choose the strangest way possible to pass you, especially if you are quite close to an immovable object like a wall or a row of shops.

This happens about 50% of the time. Either I'm crazy (?) or you will recognise this behaviour - see diagram ...

It seems most Thais drive on the left and walk on the right. And motorcycles drive anywhere they can. Mobile phones are a small issue compared to what wheelchair bound people have to put up with. coffee1.gif

Edited by lvr181

You should try riding you motorbike on the sidewalk.... People not looking where they are going or looking at their phone.. Don't get me started about the beggars laying in the middle of the sidewalk.. Almost ran them over a few times.

Last time I hit one of them hard enough to make my helmet fall off the handlebars. Buggers those beggars.

Edited by andrew55

You think walking is bad?

Try being in a wheelchair most Thais will not move for you, they expect you to move around them.

I had a friend visit who has MS and he struggles using sticks.

I was rather shocked how impatient Thais on motorcycles in alleys and on pavements would beep at him.

Having lived and worked in Japan, there is great rivalry between Osaka and Tokyo, so much so that in Tokyo you walk on the right of an escalator, in Osaka the left.

Residing in Tokyo but travelling to Osaka after a couple of visits, it all slips into place, respect is given and normality is adhered to.

On one occasion, in Tokyo I am on the right, going down the steps to the platform, and I am in a bit of a rush, and an obvious Osakan is trying to ascend on his left.

Worlds will collide.

At 120 kg descending, his 60 kg ascending met, great embarrassment from him, and apologies as he picked himself up from the steps.

It sometimes amuses me at Siam station, when the doors open and a small Thai woman or man tries to walk through me to push into the train. I just keep walking out without making eye contact and they usually end up at the back of the line...

On the subject of the sidewalks - some western television companies make shows like Wipeout and Ninja Warriors etc. "Thai sidewalk dash" would be a cheaper alternative. The rules are simple - without stepping off the designated sidewalk, contestants are timed from a start to finish point, having to negotiate potholes, phone booths, hanging wires, motorbikes, badly parked cars, street vendors, soi dogs, taxi touts, building sites, open sewers, puddles of waste cooking oil etc etc.

At Siam station there's always somebody (mostly lady's) who won't give way for outcoming passengers of the bts. I'm totally done with that and i just walk through them and hope they learn the lesson. There are clear markings on the floor where you have to stand and wait but as always there's a Thai who doesn't want to follow that rule.

Also people who stop suddenly at the end of an escalator, i just didn't see that. They must be coming from the jungle or so i guess and be in a city for the first time.

But in malls i don't look where i 'm walking, i just walk whatever is going on infront of me. Thai always avoid me at the very last moment which is perfect. Seen my size they better not walk into me. When people suddenly stop walking in a mall i just walk untill 5 cm behind them and they can feel my breath on their heads since i'm much taller. Suddenly they understand the message and let me go my way.

Will they ever learn to step to the side of a walkway when they want to stop walking? I doubt it. It seems they enjoy to hold up a line of pedestrians while standing there watching their phone.

But at elevators i never have problems, also not with motobikes on pavements because i just totally ignore them. I guess my size plays a big role in that.

In malls people always like to cut me off or just cross the walkway right infront of me. They can't wait 1 second untill i passed and then cross.

If i was in a wheelchair i would install a horn or bell and ring to them when they blocked my way. Maybe a funny cowbell or so.

Lately i don't even want to walk on the BKK-pavements anymore, better just go to a mall and pay more there without stress. It's really getting annoying to stop for everybody and anything on the sidewalks and seen my length it's even very dangerous with all the lowhanging stuff with steel sharp points on it or naked electric wires or lowhanging roofs/ropes.

You only mentioned your 'size' three times.

I'm surprised you can actually fit inside public modes of transportation.:)

Edited by roo860

Last time I hit one of them hard enough to make my helmet fall off the handlebars. Buggers those beggars.

Hope you didn't get hurt... Thinking of getting a dirt bike so I have better grip when negotiating beggars on the sidewalk.

Does anyone know if you are meant to aim when riding over them to avoid coming off?

Worlds will collide.

I do something similar getting on and off elevators in Bangkok.

I am 5'8", 210 lb., martial artist, weightlifter, etc., can be imposing when I choose it. When getting on or off an elevator, I simply stand squarely in front of the door. When it opens I yield to no one. I walk forward and if they don't get out of my way... oh, well, they get bumped. No sweat off me.

I know, it sounds like a jerk thing to do, but it is the only way I have found to get on or off an elevator in Bangkok without getting killed.

Correct. It is a jerk thing to do.

Thanks for reinforcing the stereotype that Foreigners are complete jackwads.

Well done.

Worlds will collide.

You only mentioned your 'size' three times.

I'm surprised you can actually fit inside public modes of transportation.smile.png

Being tall is not easy in Thailand but at least i can just walk into the bts without hitting my head. In Singapore i can't do that.

Once only i used a thai public bus and i don't fit in the chairs. Also not in Air Asia planes.

Even on the road driving my motocy i have to duck when i pass one of those sidecarted tricycles who drive around with a selfmade low roof.

Thailand is very dangerous for tall people, and Europeans are tall people....not americans (except the basketballers).

Worlds will collide.

I am 5'8", 210 lb., martial artist, weightlifter, etc., can be imposing when I choose it.

5'8"? Nope, you're not imposing, not even in Thailand. Average height for a Thai "man".

Partington: My answer when I see another pedestrian crossing in front of me is to go completely to the edge of the side that I am walking on. They are never able to get between me and the edge of the walkway. So far, the person has always quickly stopped and walked around me making it unecessary for me to sidestep them. I still haven't worked out any strategy to deal with the people who hurry to beat me to a corner or stairway. Can't win'em all!

Have you noticed the difference between escalator users in Singapore and in Thailand? If you block the escalator in SIN, you are soon brushed to one side as others RUN up the steps.

Here, folk just step on and vegetate. They won't move even if you're obviously right behind them.

This is my pet peeve ^.

I walk almost everywhere.

I don't have a problem with people in the way, as there are lots of them in any big city, and I've learned to dodge between them if they are going much slower than me, or wait for an opening.

But once people hit an escalator, they stop.

I don't understand this concept,

They drive like crazy, cut you off whenever they can, run red lights, zip into a parking spot before you if they can, but get on an escalator, and their world stops.

And this phenomenon is not just in Thailand, it is many places in the world.

I always take the steps if there is an option. But many times there is not.

Reminds me of an escalator that goes into a fitness center I saw once in Texas.

Anyway, rant over.

Bangkok is a big city and friendlier than most. IMO.

agree with you, the arbitrary lane change, is it intended ? are they just mindless <deleted> with the sense of a leaf floating on a stream as taoist and zen philosophy suggest?

I think they are halfwits, with little will, I practise using the force on them to make them move in the direction of my wishing.

I just wish they would not do it while driving as well, ok lets suddently break, droppping the speed from 110 to 30 and change lane slowsly.... yes why the <deleted> not.

Worlds will collide.

I am 5'8", 210 lb., martial artist, weightlifter, etc., can be imposing when I choose it. When getting on or off an elevator, I simply stand squarely in front of the door. When it opens I yield to no one. I walk forward and if they don't get out of my way... oh, well, they get bumped. No sweat off me.

I know, it sounds like a jerk thing to do, but it is the only way I have found to get on or off an elevator in Bangkok without getting killed.

Well done.

I disagree on the jerk thing, what difference is a little intentional intimidation compared to ignorrance, or mindless ignorance, I would respect the mindful intimidation any day over the other

Worlds will collide.

Well done.

I disagree on the jerk thing, what difference is a little intentional intimidation compared to ignorrance, or mindless ignorance, I would respect the mindful intimidation any day over the other

A perfect argument.

Inconsiderate, rude, thoughtless cretins who are so self centered they expect everyone to make way for them, especially foreigners or disabled.

Buses are very bad considering how Thais go on about greng jai and nam jai. Saw a crowd getting on a bus pushing a blind man out of the way getting off being helped by the conductor, plenty of seats as well.

It seems most Thais drive on the left and walk on the right. And motorcycles drive anywhere they can. Mobile phones are a small issue compared to what wheelchair bound people have to put up with. coffee1.gif

Not too many walking on the right. We were always taught to walk facing oncoming traffic, but it means nothing here. I wonder how many get a clip around the ear from a side mirror?

" They drive like crazy, cut you off whenever they can, run red lights, zip into a parking spot before you if they can, but get on an escalator, and their world stops. "

Not on do they stop they wait till last second before they must start walking and escalator step their on disappears . I love this comment and it also boggles my mind ???

It's almost like its a law not to walk on the escalator . So many wearing top Nike running shoes as this is the fashion but seems they hate to walk [emoji102]

Edited by Lumbini

I sometimes get people walking right into me. I'm 6'3 and muscular, how do they think its going to end? It's usually grumpy looking middle aged women. My technique is just to slow down my walk so the impetus is on them if they want to try and bash into me.

I try and be reasonable when im walking, the city is damn crowded. The only exception is if I see some dumbass using their phone while walking. Then i'll happily let them crash into me, just to teach them some awareness.

I sometimes get people walking right into me. I'm 6'3 and muscular, how do they think its going to end? It's usually grumpy looking middle aged women. My technique is just to slow down my walk so the impetus is on them if they want to try and bash into me.

I try and be reasonable when im walking, the city is damn crowded. The only exception is if I see some dumbass using their phone while walking. Then i'll happily let them crash into me, just to teach them some awareness.

Much easier to just move out of the way.

You're not going to teach them anything, especially middle aged women.

Edited by roo860