Trial of airports’ seizure by PAD protesters in 2008 begins

webfact

Trial of airports’ seizure by PAD protesters in 2008 begins

225-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court today began the examination of direct and circumstantial evidence presented by the state prosecutors against 98 yellow shirt protesters who laid siege to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports during the anti-government protest in 2008.

Among the 98 defendants are Sondhi Lumthongkul and Chamlong Srimuang, leaders of the defunct People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

They were charged with terrorism, illegal assembly, and disturbance of peace and order of the country when Sondhi and Chamlong led protesters to seize the two airports during the anti government protest.

88 defendants, including Maj Gen Chamlong, Kasit Bhirom, Somsak Kosaisuk arrived at the court.

One defendant had died and seven others were not present citing business trips as reasons for not attending the session.

The court later set October 20 this year as the first hearing of the plaintiff’s witnesses.

Maj Gen Chamlong and 13 others meanwhile petitioned the court seeking its sympathy to exempt court fees in this case as the Civil Court had earlier ordered defendants in the case to pay a combined compensation of 600 million baht to the Airports of Thailand for damages caused to the airports during the seizures.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148994

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-01

Maj Gen Chamlong and 13 others meanwhile petitioned the court seeking its sympathy to exempt court fees in this case as the Civil Court had earlier ordered defendants in the case to pay a combined compensation of 600 million baht to the Airports of Thailand for damages caused to the airports during the seizures.

When are they going to pay? How long has it been since this compensation case was settled?

So this lot are charged with Terrorism,for which was a peaceful sit in,although disruptive,

while the Red shirts,who bombed,terrorized,used weapons of war,and committed arson

on a large scale,were never charged with terrorism.

regards worgeordie

If you honestly think that taking over the airport was nothing more than a "peaceful sit in", you seriously need to go back and read the reports of what happened. I'll briefly recap for you.

ARMED thugs controlling the entrances and exits to the airport.

Attacking and assaulting police officers, injuring one so severely he was hospitalized for nearly a week.

Attack police vehicles, smashing windows and slashing tires.

SHOOTING at police vehicles, and even a news truck they "mistook" for a police vehicle. Yeah, the words "News" and "Police" on the vehicles look a lot alike, don't they?

Leaving one of their own behind, dead, stabbed to death, wrapped in a tarp and stuffed into a small storage room.

I suggest that before you make "inaccurate" (read: Bullshirt) statements, you get your facts straight first. Otherwise, it really make you look incredibly ignorant.

So this lot are charged with Terrorism,for which was a peaceful sit in,although disruptive,

while the Red shirts,who bombed,terrorized,used weapons of war,and committed arson

regards worgeordie

Wye Aye man,

This was 2008 the red shirt insurgency 2010. So their trial should come early 2018ish.

Notice you can avoid appearing at court for a great number of reasons. No wonder there's delays.

regards worgeordie

If you honestly think that taking over the airport was nothing more than a "peaceful sit in", you seriously need to go back and read the reports of what happened. I'll briefly recap for you.

Attacking and assaulting police officers, injuring one so severely he was hospitalized for nearly a week.

SHOOTING at police vehicles, and even a news truck they "mistook" for a police vehicle. Yeah, the words "News" and "Police" on the vehicles look a lot alike, don't they?

Leaving one of their own behind, dead, stabbed to death, wrapped in a tarp and stuffed into a small storage room.

I suggest that before you make "inaccurate" (read: Bullshirt) statements, you get your facts straight first. Otherwise, it really make you look incredibly ignorant.

Well he is a geordie.

Amazing how these people can use the excuse of going on the business trip to not show up for a court hearing. The worse part is not a damn thing is done about it by the court.

Agree, and a certain woman is the poster child for this, no hesitation to ignore the law and have any respect for the law.

Oh sorry I forgot, she was the champion of democracy.

Amazing how these people can use the excuse of going on the business trip to not show up for a court hearing. The worse part is not a damn thing is done about it by the court.

Agree, and a certain woman is the poster child for this, no hesitation to ignore the law and have any respect for the law.

They ALL do it. its almost a normal part of proceedings.

Yingluck with her "I need more time to get more witnesses naajaaa."

To Suthep and his "Im too busy to answer murder charges because Im busy trying to bring down a government"

and lets not forget Mr Coked Up Ferrari driver with "I cant answer murder charges because Im in Singapore. On business. And Im sick."

regards worgeordie

Hi Worgeordie, correct, but depends on what value you put on human life, 90 of them ( Reds) were executed and 2,000 badly wounded during the rampage by the Yellow Shirt military enforcers 2010.

Do not agree with what they ( Reds) did in and to Bangkok but if you insist in oppressing the poor then Thailand will follow everywhere else that has had a revolution and expect further mayhem until the Yellow shirts withdraw their military occupation of the Prime Ministers office. There will be truckloads of potential for future unrest ahead.

I fully understand you when you say it is against the law to be unhappy in Thailand but no govt can pull that one for very long.

A red bias point of view........

regards worgeordie

Hi Worgeordie, correct, but depends on what value you put on human life, 90 of them ( Reds) were executed and 2,000 badly wounded during the rampage by the Yellow Shirt military enforcers 2010.

Do not agree with what they ( Reds) did in and to Bangkok but if you insist in oppressing the poor then Thailand will follow everywhere else that has had a revolution and expect further mayhem until the Yellow shirts withdraw their military occupation of the Prime Ministers office. There will be truckloads of potential for future unrest ahead.

I fully understand you when you say it is against the law to be unhappy in Thailand but no govt can pull that one for very long.

like he said, depends on the value you put on human life. If that is a red bias, then so be it.

regards worgeordie

No, they were simply shot

You obviously forgot much more than you remember!!

regards worgeordie

...and your spewing is nothing but a yellow bias point of view. What's your point, fella?

I remember repeatedly rebooking my flight from California to Bangkok in November 2008 because flights were cancelled because the airport was occupied. Then I was given a departure date only to get stuck in the airport in Osaka Japan.

Edited by Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere

regards worgeordie

...and your spewing is nothing but a yellow bias point of view. What's your point, fella?

for this, my view is base on the Human Right Watch report who blame the two parties for what happen. I Know it so different the red liar stories....

Will Sondhi this time being sentenced and doing time? I doubt it. He must be the most often convicted criminal without serving one day of his many sentences.

I dunno, Berlusconi is hard to beat.

biggrin.png

Which part of Thailand does he live.

for this, my view is base on the Human Right Watch report who blame the two parties for what happen. I Know it so different the red liar stories....

yeah, you're out here quoting the HRW left and right...

cheesy.gif

regards worgeordie

Standing back and looking at it from a neutral point of view it would seem that the majority of Thais are not yellow supporters politically, I would suggest, with respect, that you ignore that factor at your peril. I can think of no country anywhere in history that has consistently denied its citizens self determination that has not paid a price in blood. I agree with you that Thailand is different and unique but I submit that its people are human and have feelings which will come to the boil eventually. Why is it when anyone posts from a position of common sense one gets accused of being a Red Supporter?? I am not Red supporter, I am a mathematician.

Just1Voice---- I am not saying you are wrong about what you state , but when you make claims about dead bodies wrapped in tarp and hidden--People shooting at at the police and and news reporters etc...... Police beaten & hospitalised could you assist us & at least leave a link.

Because I also lived through this--- & It makes me run to the internet......& I just can not find these reports.

Wiki---which I suppose should be viewed as unbiased--as it was written after the dust had settled- reports on the casualties as such

120 people were injured in the unrest, most of them UDD demonstrators.[135] At least 1 UDD protester was injured from gunshot wounds sustained during the military's attack in Din Daeng, although the Army claimed the wound was not caused by their standard firearm.

No dead bodies stabbed & found hidden at the airport----but there were lots of claims of deaths from both sides....The UDD (red) claimed that at least 6 of their people were killed & the bodies taken away... The PAD(Yellow) claim that at least 2 of theirs was killed & the bodies taken away. There were 2 bodies found in the Chao Phraya river a week latter (known to be Red) although Police have still not connected those to the Airport

Army chief Anupong Paochinda swore on his life that no lives were lost as a result of his security operations.[138]----Wiki

Once again---not saying your wrong--maybe their all lying, but if you want to call people inaccurate/ incredibly ignorant/making Bullshit statements.

Provide a credible link to prove that they are wrong & your statements are right.

Thanks.