Upside-Down Sign in South Pattaya causes a stir on Facebook

webfact

I wonder if the same thing would happen in say the UK if British workmen were asked to install a similar type of sign displaying Thai, Japanese or Korean words, of course it would.

Apart from the already mentioned people there are also numbers upside down, the exact same numbers that Thais use.

I think you'll find Thais use different numbers.

I think you'll find that Thai kids are taught to use the same numbers as us from nursery. And that people stand on their feet here as well.

"And that people stand on their feet here as well."

But there are pictures of acrobats!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since positivity is always well received, let's assume it's a subtle message from the population of Pattaya, as in "we don't want your stinking festival here, if you don't like it, go home".

Edited by DrTuner

The purpose of a sign is to get people to read it. In this sense the positioning of the sign is a brilliant piece of marketing as it has reached a large audience at no extra cost to City Hall. Very clever indeed.

Edited by carter1882

I wonder if the same thing would happen in say the UK if British workmen were asked to install a similar type of sign displaying Thai, Japanese or Korean words, of course it would.

This must beat all apologist comments ever posted on this forum,

I'm sad that your world is so small you are able to categorize everything about a culture into the two categories of apologist and basher!

I'm eagerly waiting for your explanation what placing a billboard with pictures of humans upside down, without noticing by probably multiple workers, has even remotely to do with culture.

I'm sad that your world is so small you are able to categorize everything about a culture into the two categories of apologist and basher!

I'm eagerly waiting for your explanation what placing a billboard with pictures of humans upside down, without noticing by probably multiple workers, has even remotely to do with culture.

You say "Thai apologist", Thai as in anything a Thai person says, get it now.

But clearly you what you didn't get was the picture which is of acrobats who oddly enough don't always stand on their feet!

True. Doesn't matter if the workers were Thai, Zimbabwean, US, UK, AUS or whatever.

They were idiots....Or maybe they had an axe to grind with their employer?

We'll never know. It IS funny either way though. clap2.gif

Stop it you people,,,

what's wrong with you,

have you never given a map to a taxi driver

and said ''take me there'' he reading it upside

down, what's wrong with you, completely

normal as i can see. Also the job stated,,

put up a sign, was it done or not, now pay

me and get out...

True. Doesn't matter if the workers were Thai, Zimbabwean, US, UK, AUS or whatever.

Why are they idiots? Not being educated and not being abe to understand a second language doesn't mean they are idiots, does it?

Very good and honest point. 50% chance I would have when I first arrived in the Kingdom. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between Thai and Khmer sometimes. And Lao ? Impossible ! Nowadays I do a little better.

I doubt if it would because they would ask or be told which way it is to be installed.

So Thais are still unable to recognise the numbers despite them being everywhere?

Nor are familiar that the heads of people are normally at the top!

Thai apologist methinks.

No, many many Thai's don't understand the western numbering system.

And I, just like the workmen, didn't examine the picture in detail to see what it contained, to them it was a job, to me it was a an upside down sign as evidenced by the date at the bottom which is written in English, but then again I am a native English speaker.

And and, go stuff your apologist remark, methinks!

So if you put up a sign you wouldn't bother checking which way up it should go first? 50/50 chance is o k for you?

Or did you see the task as putting the sign up rather than ensuring it was put up correctly?

When in a hole ......................... and you are still digging sport.

So Thais are still unable to recognise the numbers despite them being everywhere?

Nor are familiar that the heads of people are normally at the top!

Thai apologist methinks.

No, many many Thai's don't understand the western numbering system.

And I, just like the workmen, didn't examine the picture in detail to see what it contained, to them it was a job, to me it was a an upside down sign as evidenced by the date at the bottom which is written in English, but then again I am a native English speaker.

And and, go stuff your apologist remark, methinks!

So if you put up a sign you wouldn't bother checking which way up it should go first? 50/50 chance is o k for you?

Or did you see the task as putting the sign up rather than ensuring it was put up correctly?

When in a hole ......................... and you are still digging sport.

Go read that post again, carefully this time, especially read the bit about English language!

I'd get my rose-coloured specs changed if I were you, then maybe you'd spot the upside-down people! Which is why, I assume, it made facebook.

Not noticing they'd placed the people upside down and that the numbers were also upside down makes them idiots in my book. The very same numbers that all Thais use in school and that are on everything from number plates, road signs, bank notes to ID cards and driving licences.

Why are they idiots? Not being educated and not being abe to understand a second language doesn't mean they are idiots, does it?

Not noticing they'd placed the people upside down and that the numbers were also upside down makes them idiots in my book. The very same numbers that all Thais use in school and that are on everything from number plates, road signs, bank notes to ID cards and driving licences.

The people on the sign are acrobats, a favorite of the Chinese, the sign advertises Chinese New Year events..

Surprisingly few Thai's understand the western numerical system, go ask a few to do some simple tests, you'll be surprised.

The workmen are most likely to be poor uneducated Thai's who never learned English, that's not unusual, bank notes etc get recognized by their color and through recall. I wonder though if I gave you a series of numbers from another numerical system, say 2 + 2 written in Japanese Kanji whether people would think you were also an idiot for not understanding them!

Really, you guys should get out more, unless you're all in Bangkok's CBD and on work permits, there's a Thailand out there that's nothing like what you imagine!