Public health and tourism ministries promote Thailand as medical tourism hub

webfact

Public health and tourism ministries promote Thailand as medical tourism hub

hub.jpg

BANGKOK, 2 February 2016 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports are working together to promote Thailand as a medical tourism hub.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul joined a meeting with high ranking officials from the Ministry of Public Health to discuss ways to expand medical tourism.

The Tourism and Sports Minister said the participants of the meeting agreed to draft a 10-year promotion plan. The plan hinges on a marketing campaign to raise awareness of Thailand’s renowned medical industry.

The meeting’s agenda also included the recent outbreak of Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). Officials have been working hard to prevent any additional infections, so as to raise tourist confidence in the Kingdom.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-02 footer_n.gif

I imagine they have employed quite a number of health care professionals from the countries they wish to target so as to get, at first hand, exactly what would be expected from a health care provider based overseas. whistling.gif

These clowns coming up with this idea should seek treatment for themselves or family at some of the hospitals (as they are called) and see how patient / doctor assignmrnts are made upon admittance and follow up.

I have found some very good doctors here in CM and others who are in the skin whitening profession making decisions /guesses on the proper treatment for areas out of their field of study. Its can be a real crap shoot when you get a doctor on emergency admission, if one is even there. I think they might start with enticing tourists to bring their pets for vet treatment first and work up to the human treatment hub. And for gods sake get those pickups converted to emergency vechicles off the roads and out of sight. If you live thru a accident the ride in those things bring survival rate down at a rapid decline curve.

No thanks, I have good non-Thai insurance.

Had recourse in May 2000 when the insurance company got me out of Bumrungrad.

My home university hospital ignored Bumrungrad's recommendations and did their own thing.

I am still around and without scars, thank you.

And yes, nursing care at Bumrungrad was wonderful.

Edited by tartempion

It's not a bad strategy. Execution is everything. And I would rather see this kind of initiative by TAT. Some other areas of strength to promote:

Teaching Thai cooking.

Teaching Thai massage.

Temple retreats.

I'm assuming these things exist. They could be promoted more. An alternative brand for Thailand emphasizing physical and spiritual health.

Hub... of hubs.

Sure come to Twa, er Thailand for "5 star" hospitals that feature 24 yo doctors carpeting and upholstered furniture. Where cheating is practically expected on university exams, where injectable antibiotics are stored in 90 degree heat.

There are some excellent hospitals and Doctors in Thailand...

However, medical certification, licensing and standards are sadly lacking in thousands of small clinics and private "hospitals" offering skin whitening, breast jobs, liposuction, botox, lasix, detox etc etc.

Thailand as a medical tourism hub is ridiculous.

A 10-year promotion plan...

How about a six month promotion plan instead?

If the two Ministries haven't already done so (and lack of mention seems to indicate that they haven't), they should prepare a promotion at the 2016 World Medical Tourism Event to be held in Washington D.C., USA on Sept. 25-28, 2016. Present will be over 3,000 participants from over 90 countries, 10,000+ networking meetings and up to 200 qualified buyers of healthcare.

post-233034-0-51369400-1454433330_thumb.

I wonder if the Ministries missed the Nov. 14-16, 2015 Asia-Pacific World Medical Tourism Event held in Guilin, China. No mention is made. There were up to 500 participants, 1,500+ netowrk meetings and up to 200 qualified buyers of healthcare. Major oversight if TAT & Public Health missed that event.

There are some excellent hospitals and Doctors in Thailand...

However, medical certification, licensing and standards are sadly lacking in thousands of small clinics and private "hospitals" offering skin whitening, breast jobs, liposuction, botox, lasix, detox etc etc.

Thailand as a medical tourism hub is ridiculous.

true there are... but why would i bother? i have free insurance at home. i can speak to the doc in my own language. i don't have to wait for hours if i make an appointment. i went to private hospital here once. they wanted to sell me 2500thb medicin instead of the generic locally made 100thb alternative. i kid u not. when i refused the 2000thb stuff and asked for the regular stuff they gave me the looks and called me stingy thumbsup.gif

(edit: proton pump inhibitor it was, nothing special!)

Edited by stickylies

Clinging to medical tourism as if it's going to take off is extremely short sighted. The medical retreat cities coming up around the gulf will eliminate a good deal of the 1 million Arabs that now come to Thailand for medical. They should instead focus on the 250,000 of those lot that only come for a token dental implant and a bit of nookie.

Thailand is at present one of the main locations people come for cosmetic surgery. It would seem like a natural extension to include medical treatment. Having said that it would be very useful to have doctors from the target countries also available to interface with the patient when and as necessary.