Can't stop acting like a dick.

Snackbar

A common theme for me here.

I always act like a dick. Yesterday did some grocery shopping in Macro. 15 mins in and out with shopping list exhausted. Bread, dairy, fruit & vegetables, alcohol, and sundries.

I don't have a member card, fudge that, I pay, smile and offer a genuine English thank you.

Proceed to the door to have receipt and shopping trolly checked for irregularities.

Except two 'checkers' stationed at the exit are meticulously pretending to be interested in some hi-so's grocery proclivities. A few mins of waiting and they're free to give me and my property the once over.

I'm blocking the hi-so's exit route as I'm half way out of the door. Checker wants me to back track, but I smile and say no problem, hand him my receipt. Here see all bought and paid for, just as the automatic door closes onto my shopping trolly.

The checker insist I retreat backwards to save the door, the shopping trolly and empower himself. I refuse. He insists I retreat to a point he's now indicating well inside the store. Well I'm a forward thinking kind of man and I ain't never taken a step back and don't intend to do so now. As the automatic door slams into my shopping trolly again. He thrusts the receipt at me cursing.

I didn't mean to be a dick, I hadn't stolen anything and was only moving out of somebody else's way. But I just can't help myself.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.....

Next time Tesco Lotus....they don't check....Save some wear and tear on the carts/doors/employees.....

When you look in the rear view mirror you'll be the only one that knows what you are....

No fuss no muss.....

Agreed, it is a trifle 'Dick'ish to say thank you in English when you live in Thailand.

/quote]

Every Thai person answers the telephone with the word 'Hello'.

I would think most Makro staff would understand 'Thank you', so not 'Dick'ish at all.

I guess 'Dick'ishness is subjective, and I did say a trifle.

Read Sartre's "Waiter". Nobody who isn't psychotic escapes responsibility. You choose to behave as you do. You irritated me and a number of other people needlessly on another thread. An existentialist would tell you that "can't stop" is just your way of saying, "I've got this essential quality called "dickishness" which makes it impossible for me to behave other than the way I plan to behave so really I'm not responsible".

You can't stop because you use "can't stop" as an excuse for not stopping.

I wanted to buy a slowcooker in the makro last week or so but fast. It wasn't for sale there but i bought some frozen stuff...with the bags on my arms i wanted to walk out (after paying ofcourse) and those 2 came to me to check. They couldn't speak a word english and i had no idea what they wanted from me.

They wanted to see all i bought but i told them to hurry up because it was all frozen goods and cold on my arms. Then they didn't check me at all and i could go my way.

It was not busy at all that time so why didn't they just go stand at the cashiers and check it there while i paid? And why didn't they learn to speak english if they want a public function? There was nobody at the cashiers and only 2 were open.

The 'checkers' are so highly trained they can glance at the receipt, then the contents of the shopping and know instantly alls well. But get a bit Nancy if I ignore them and walk straight.

All due respect to them but this dude looked like he'd slept under a hedge after a night on the gear, woke up late and missed the customer care orientation seminar.

As for the haters, English people couldn't give a monkeys chuff if they've irritated someone. That's what they do best.

The 'checkers' are so highly trained they can glance at the receipt, then the contents of the shopping and know instantly alls well. But get a bit Nancy if I ignore them and walk straight.

All due respect to them but this dude looked like he'd slept under a hedge after a night on the gear, woke up late and missed the customer care orientation seminar.

As for the haters, English people couldn't give a monkeys chuff if they've irritated someone. That's what they do best.

The real problem seems to be your perceived insult that some hiso (whatever that means) was given more attention which made you lose 'face'. Edited by saakura

Why would automatic doors close on something/someone?

Possibly your travails were burnished a little for dramatic effect?

Was the checker cursing at you in Thai or English? Are you fluent in Thai curses?

interested in some hi-so's grocery proclivities

I assume hi-so means they weren't wearing flip flops and unwashed tee shirts or once again a bit of dramatic licence?

"grocery proclivities" Sounds like something that would require a clean up in aisle four.

I`m English and don`t deliberately go out of my way to irritate people. Are you from anywhere north of Watford?

The checkers are only doing their job and it`s a crap job at that. When I shop at Makros I always allow for extra time and just let the checkers do their job. Never had a problem and it all takes a few seconds at the most. It`s one of those it all makes work for the working man to do. Who cares and what`s the big deal.

Agreed, it is a trifle 'Dick'ish to say thank you in English when you live in Thailand.

As for the rest, try taking your Thai wife/gf next time, if they're anything like mine you'll probably avoid repeats.

See we have Acquired another class member, after 41 posts

I wanted to buy a slowcooker in the makro last week or so but fast. It wasn't for sale there but i bought some frozen stuff...with the bags on my arms i wanted to walk out (after paying ofcourse) and those 2 came to me to check. They couldn't speak a word english and i had no idea what they wanted from me.

They wanted to see all i bought but i told them to hurry up because it was all frozen goods and cold on my arms. Then they didn't check me at all and i could go my way.

It was not busy at all that time so why didn't they just go stand at the cashiers and check it there while i paid? And why didn't they learn to speak english if they want a public function? There was nobody at the cashiers and only 2 were open.

My response to why didn't they learn to speak English is aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh. Why don't you learn Thai? It is after all THAILAND, not England.

It's their job to check it all, regardless of your desire for speed ( probably let you go unchecked because you were making a fuss and embarrassing them ), and you could have left your goods in the trolley, like everyone else does till you get outside.

Why should they go to check your goods at the cashier? It's not their job to run around after individual customers. Perhaps you don't realise Makro is a wholesale outlet for businesses, not a normal retail outlet.

I'm sure Big C or similar would provide a more satisfying shopping experience for you in the future.

My response to why didn't they learn to speak English is aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh. Why don't you learn Thai? It is after all THAILAND, not England.

It's their job to check it all, regardless of your desire for speed ( probably let you go unchecked because you were making a fuss and embarrassing them ), and you could have left your goods in the trolley, like everyone else does till you get outside.

Why should they go to check your goods at the cashier? It's not their job to run around after individual customers. Perhaps you don't realise Makro is a wholesale outlet for businesses, not a normal retail outlet.

I'm sure Big C or similar would provide a more satisfying shopping experience for you in the future.

Him farang ok him no need go back for lowly thai people. Him farang angry why lowly thai people so nice to other lowly thai ppl think other lowly think person is hi so but him farang also so also hi so but lowly thai people treat him lo so. So him angry.

Perhaps you don't realise that i DO have a Makrocard although a foreign one. And i had that card allready before those kids were even born.

Is it too hard to learn the only english senctence one needs to do his job? Hello sir, can i check your goods please? Then they should go back to school instead of finding themselves an easy job in aircon at the Makro.

..I have often wondered what the checkers think is going to happen to your goods in the trolley just 5m from the cashier when no other person is present except the persons who just came through the checkout !!

If you were carrying a bag and they wanted to do a bag search..fair enough!

Edited by rodcourt49

OK.....

Next time Tesco Lotus....they don't check....Save some wear and tear on the carts/doors/employees.....

When you look in the rear view mirror you'll be the only one that knows what you are....

No fuss no muss.....

say hi to your daughter for me

A dererant. Stop the cashier and the customer in cahoots of stealing.

Had another moment in that store a while ago.

There's a section selling alcohol. With a designated point of sale (POS). Staff there insist customers pay at that POS. I wanted to buy some alcohol but had forgotten to get cash from the ATM. The machine is at the entrance, a 30 meter walk. Told the girl the situation and wandered off with my shopping intending to get cash and pay at the exit. She freaked out, completely losing it. Raising her voice, animated, like some possessed luk thep. I noticed she picked up the phone, calling the NCPO possibly.

Thinking little of it at the till the check out girl scanned the alcohol no problem.

Being a dick, there are going to be other dicks. When the stars align and two dicks collide an inevitable confusion ensues.

A dick and an <deleted>, a dick and a pussy, there's an understanding.

But two dicks?

Not ment to B.

A common theme for me here.

I always act like a dick. Yesterday did some grocery shopping in Macro. 15 mins in and out with shopping list exhausted. Bread, dairy, fruit & vegetables, alcohol, and sundries.

I don't have a member card, fudge that, I pay, smile and offer a genuine English thank you.

Proceed to the door to have receipt and shopping trolly checked for irregularities.

Except two 'checkers' stationed at the exit are meticulously pretending to be interested in some hi-so's grocery proclivities. A few mins of waiting and they're free to give me and my property the once over.

I'm blocking the hi-so's exit route as I'm half way out of the door. Checker wants me to back track, but I smile and say no problem, hand him my receipt. Here see all bought and paid for, just as the automatic door closes onto my shopping trolly.

The checker insist I retreat backwards to save the door, the shopping trolly and empower himself. I refuse. He insists I retreat to a point he's now indicating well inside the store. Well I'm a forward thinking kind of man and I ain't never taken a step back and don't intend to do so now. As the automatic door slams into my shopping trolly again. He thrusts the receipt at me cursing.

I didn't mean to be a dick, I hadn't stolen anything and was only moving out of somebody else's way. But I just can't help myself.

you feel like a big man now?