Bringing cash into thailand how much per person

Hey all hope you can help here and answer a question ive seen on here before but at the end of the chat no definite answers were given it was all well I think or im not sure ect im going back to thailand In 2 days I only left there yesterday got here this afternoon im going back with my 2 teenage daughter both under 16 so not adult I want to take the maximum cash possible I spoke to customs at paris today and was told all 3 were allowed 10.000 euros max undeclared more if you fill in the forms and declare it I know I can take up to 16.000 euros into thailand undeclared BUT how much as a family can we take are my girls allowed the same as me ..they are in leaving France ..I spoke to customs at BKK yesterday no one seemed to know ..Some of are going to ask why carry it ..why not transfer a few reasons one is the high charges and at the moment the euro is suffering against the baht I always get a lot better rate on and around town +id know my x wife lawyer would love to pick up the litte bit I managed to keep so not going in bank thats for sure no bank cannot transfer so my option is to take it hope you people out there can help tks

• Like 1

There's a 10,000€ declaration limit on leaving/entering an EU country. This I know for sure.

If I'm not mistaken in Thailand you must declare all cash worth 20.000USD/500.000THB or more.

In the EU for failing to report it. they will confiscated it. I don't know in Thailand.

When you get here, don't tell anyone about it and don't answer any private messages from thaivisa.com members with offers that they will help you out.

Bringing large amount of cash will always raise suspicion, so think about that twice.

Also notice, that in Thailand you will get different answer in every institution, I would go with customs

Good luck

Bank charges are indeed ridiculous, but Western Union are a lot less. I'm charged £4.90 for each transfer. Best if you can transfer straight into a Thai bank account.

As a solo traveller I used to have to bite the bullet and pay the card and interest charges for using an ATM or paying a bill by credit card, but now I have a friend in Thailand I can simply grander to get account and get her to withdraw as needed.

how much as a family can we take are my girls allowed the same as me ..

EU rules: a family counts as "one", i.e. even a couple with 7 children can only take € 10,000.- undeclared.

i have no idea how Thailand handles the "import" (whether the undeclared limit of USD 20k is per person or per family).

I have brought over large amounts of cash even though it's technically supposed to be declared...

The best way I've found is to go to your bank and order 500 NOTES, These are very easy to travel with and avoid having to carry "bricks" of cash

Another option in your case would be to simply open another bank account your x wife didn't know about and lodge the money and transfer immediately to a Thai Bank....

There would be no way she could get her hands on that.... ;)

There is an old and wise saying in Thailand that goes like this " Only bring to Thailand, that you are prepared to loose"

Why would we lose it , ? i have uni fees , food to pay for car to run , etc etc , dont

t forget most of us live here with our family , not sit on a bar stool chatting up hookers all day

• Like 1

There is an old and wise saying in Thailand that goes like this " Only bring to Thailand, that you are prepared to loose"

Why would we lose it , ? i have uni fees , food to pay for car to run , etc etc , dont

t forget most of us live here with our family , not sit on a bar stool chatting up hookers all day

Sitting on a bar stool chatting to the "available ladies" sounds to be as much fun as paying uni fees, running a car, family, etc, etc.

But I suppose it depends on one's perspective.

How do you know he sits on a bar stool and talks with hookers all day?

• Like 1

To loose? What does that mean? Never heard of that saying.

I think that "Loose" is the Glasgow pidgen English way to say lose.

Or perhaps you are too uptight and you have read something that has come too close to home and don't understand that people make mistakes when typing.

Also My name is Terminal Velosity, not Terminal Velocity by choice.

• Like 1

No limit as long as you declare them to the Tax man, you can down load the HM Customs and revenue forms from the Web site, Bringing cash into Thailand thats a different thing. Also bankers drafts and any other form of money can be taken into account.

As for declaring the money, you print off two sets of forms , when you have filed them in or out as you want, You put one set of papers in the Customs drop in box at the airport, AND you must have a valid recite from the bank to prove the money is yours, and not been or being laundered.

Edited by Thongkorn

Literally this means you are prepared to loose your belongings, your body parts and your life going to Thailand.

Anyhow if you can explain the source of the money and it is not your intention to evade future taxes you can just declare the money when leaving Europe and entering Thailand. No taxes have to be paid exporting or importing money. Maybe you will be flagged so your next tax declaration will get an extra check.

Else the limit is 10,000 euro. Probably you have some cash in your wallet also so in practice it will be less.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

hey guys im a bit late getting back to the forum ref how much can i take legal into thailand from europe got caught with the 50 million quid ha ha!! so tks for all the replies but still confused by the différant answers 10.000 per person irrespective of of age been told that if my children are not in the same house hold as they are not but travel with me they dont count as same family this was from customs officer this year at paris airport customs confusing eh!!!

hey guys im a bit late getting back to the forum ref how much can i take legal into thailand from europe got caught with the 50 million quid ha ha!! so tks for all the replies but still confused by the différant answers 10.000 per person irrespective of of age been told that if my children are not in the same house hold as they are not but travel with me they dont count as same family this was from customs officer this year at paris airport customs confusing eh!!!

No limit, just declare.

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2016 at 9:13 AM, Scouse Twoccer said:

To loose? What does that mean? Never heard of that saying.

Really!? You have never heard of that saying before? Well, I spend a lot of my loose change on loose Thai ladies. It's just extra loose  money I have laying around, so I spend it down at "The Parlour" to have some of my, uh, joints loosened up. I mean, what do I have to loose? I must say though, some of those loose Thai ladies were just too too loose, so I will pick and ( hopefully ) choose better in the future. Too loose or not too loose. That is the question.