Lies and videotapes: Uninsured Aussie tourist finds himself in hot water

webfact

Lies and videotapes: Uninsured Aussie tourist finds himself in hot water

the-embassy-aussie-tourist.jpg
Featured image is of Nathan and is via Channel 9

BANGKOK: -- It’s a much-repeated situation: happy-go-lucky tourist arrives in Thailand, declines to take out insurance, gets into a motorbike accident, ends up in hospital, gets himself into a bit of a pickle.

For Nathan, a 28-year old Australian tourist holidaying in Phuket, this is where his problems started. And to top it all off, his situation was filmed for the Australian observational TV programme, The Embassy.

Nathan was holidaying in Phuket on a so-called body improvement programme, reports News.com.au, taking growth hormones and steroids and wooing the local women in his spare time.

He recorded his explicit endeavours on his trusty GoPro, as so many tourists and bloggers nowadays do.

The GoPro also captured the moment that Nathan wound up in a nasty motorcycle accident that left him badly injured and in need of medical attention.

Fast forward to a Thai hospital, Nathan finds himself in something of a sticky situation: he’s sustained serious injuries, he’s uninsured and the company who he hired the motorcycle from are asking for serious compensation to the tune of AU$5,000.

Nathan is adamant that the accident was not his fault but tells police – who have also seized his passport – that the GoPro he recorded the incident on has broken and so cannot be used as evidence.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/lies-and-videotapes-uninsured-aussie-tourist-finds-himself-in-hot-water/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-02-03

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad truth is, that there are many like him running around in this country and thinking how invincible

they're, until they end up in a mess like this....

and beside, doing steroids and wowing women for what? for cooking together? coz that's all you

really can do with a woman when you do steroids, your sex life is pretty much in the crapper....

All these motorbike rentals that conveniently don't have any insurance for there bikes, of course they do, you cannot get a tax disk without at least the government tax which everybody has to have.

They should make it law that all rental bikes are fully covered including theft and not try and con tourists into paying over inflated price.

I was in Phuket and hired a MB and on the contract it said 60k told them this is totally ridiculous got the usual ambivalent Thai response went down the road and got a bike at half that in the contract. Hate to say the obvious, but people need to use their brain a bit and common sense prevails. Its Thai baht but it does translate into USD/AUD/GBP when things turn to shit.

What kind of rental bike costs $5000 to fix?

If it wasn't a 650cc kawasaki or something similar has getting raped by that rental company....

Look at Nathan's huge cosmetic muscles. He wouldn't be seen riding anything less than one of those huge cosmetic Harleys.

All these motorbike rentals that conveniently don't have any insurance for there bikes, of course they do, you cannot get a tax disk without at least the government tax which everybody has to have.

They should make it law that all rental bikes are fully covered including theft and not try and con tourists into paying over inflated price.

Good luck with getting anything more than 3rd class insurance for a bike/scooter under 250cc in Thailand. It doesn't exist. coffee1.gif

I doubt very much that any kind of travel insurance would cover the claim for damages from the rental company so this story is rather misleading - insurance has nothing to do with it

and if he has video evidence of the accident then he should let the police see it, it is going to be a seperate video file - he obviously didn't take one long video of his whole trip - not possible

The Thai mindset seems to be , they are entitled to screw the tourists out of much as quickly as possible. And do it before anyone else gets to take a wack at them.

There seems to be little considersation that individuals and even group tours could have such a good time, they book for a repeat holiday and may even recommend it to friends, who decide to come and experience it themselves.

If the population of much of the world were more informed and did a little research on ''ripoffs in much of Asia as well as the lack of support you can expect when you are screwed, the only tourists you can expect are as ruthless and uncaring as those hosting / making a living from them. Both groups would probably fit the profile of most of the worlds prison populations in many cases.That may be why many long time expats are considered 'grumpy old folks'' as they have experienced the decline in quality of both groups over the years, thus are not trusting or tolerent of many who try to strike up a conversastion.

Edited by slapout

The Thai mindset seems to be , they are entitled to screw the tourists out of much as quickly as possible. And do it before anyone else gets to take a wack at them.

There seems to be little considersation that individuals and even group tours could have such a good time, they book for a repeat holiday and may even recommend it to friends, who decide to come and experience it themselves.

If the population of much of the world were more informed and did a little research on ''ripoffs in much of Asia as well as the lack of support you can expect when you are screwed, the only tourists you can expect are as ruthless and uncaring as those hosting / making a living from them. Both groups would probably fit the profile of most of the worlds prison populations in many cases.That may be why many long time expats are considered 'grumpy old folks'' as they have experienced the decline in quality of both groups over the years, thus are not trusting or tolerent of many who try to strike up a conversastion.

I always give friends who are thinking of visiting Thailand for the first time what the scams and rip-offs are. I tell them what to pay and where not to buy

He doesnt look like the sharpest tool in the shed does he?

Cops moved fast to bring the scam into play.. Seize his passport and pay now farang !

Australians have been constantly warned in the media about rental scams in LOS but no-ones listening.

Edited by jalansanitwong

A fool and their money will go separate ways, maybe that's why some people feel it's their moral obligation to relieve said fool of his (not so) readys ?
Working on his body ? Maybe he would have been much better off working on his brain..., sad but true.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

The Government insurance and Tax covers the cost of any medical bills but not property. If he gets a standard form from the Police stating his injuries were a result of a traffic accident and presents that to the Hospital, then his medical bills should be covered. They don't tell Farang of anything they may be entitled to, especially in tourist areas

The sad truth is, that there are many like him running around in this country and thinking how invincible

they're, until they end up in a mess like this....

and beside, doing steroids and wowing women for what? for cooking together? coz that's all you

really can do with a woman when you do steroids, your sex life is pretty much in the crapper....

Seems you have no knowledge of beef juice and sundries and their side affects or the systems in place to avoid the side affects,

Lots of stuff out there to keep things working as normal while on the juice, but hey maybe it wasn't a beef tour but a cutting tour???

Possibly get some more info first big fell.

By the way all the info is quite freely available if you take the time too look, not a requirement to be on the gear to know how it works. Cheers.

$5,000 for the bike? ok not a scooter, also not just scooters for hire on Samui/Phuket, average repair's on average bingle is 3,000/5,000k baht,

The Government insurance and Tax covers the cost of any medical bills but not property. If he gets a standard form from the Police stating his injuries were a result of a traffic accident and presents that to the Hospital, then his medical bills should be covered. They don't tell Farang of anything they may be entitled to, especially in tourist areas

Really, I didnt realise that, that is all i have been using for driving 12+ years on my bike in Thailand, so you are saying it doesnt cover any damage to other peoples bike.?

If thats the case I better upgrade my insurance.

He doesnt look like the sharpest tool in the shed does he?

Cops moved fast to bring the scam into play.. Seize his passport and pay now farang !

Australians have been constantly warned in the media about rental scams in LOS but no-ones listening.

same warning is given for Bali, same result,

I may be wrong....but if you refuse to hand over your passport at rental time, then you got an advantage. I rented a scooter in koh chang, but refused to give them my passport. They did not document Anything, but still tried to claim i damaged their scooter . I won the contest against 5 old ladies. They never called the police. Scooters were swapped. Mine was not damaged.

Edited by slipperylobster

It doesn't cover the cost of "ANY MEDICAL BILLS." I was there, done it, no "hearsay". My motorcycle insurance for my 750 Yamaha paid only the maximum of 12 K, the "rest" in form of 86,000 baht was paid by my Thai SS insurance.

Not going to say you are wrong but that is completely at odds with my understanding of the basic government insurance

I was under the impression that it covered property/vehicle damage and medical up to (I think) 50k (might be 100k) baht for 3rd parties only and offered no cover to yourself for damage medical or theft